A miracle has happened. Need QT advice.

Kinghugo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

My CBB broke out into ich last night and I initially thought I would ride it out but decided today to give it my best effort to save all of them. By the grace of God I got them all out using the red led method. Confused the hell out of them.

So now my 29g QT has a kole tang, tail spot blenny, CBB, royal gramma and two ocellaris. It has been up for two weeks started with bio spira and a biowheel HOB. I just added today a 75 gallon sponge filter (soaked overnight in API quick start).

Questions I have are:
-Do I start treating right away with visible ich or wait until tomorrow and feed once?
-What is appropriate to keep up with bio load for 72 days? 5g water change weekly replenished with QuickStart?

I’m relieved but also anxious about the well being of these fish. The positive is they already have made the Kole tang and blenny less shy.

Thanks!

F7C645F0-A9C9-46F2-B697-7D4A650B39E8.jpeg

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Kinghugo5

Kinghugo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will help answer your questions:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/my-current-qt-process.483371/

As far as starting, if you’re 100% sure it’s ich then you could wait but if velvet that could prove deadly. Overall a day won’t make too much difference.

Thank you!

Sorry to get off the subject, but I'm curious what is the red led method?

I took my red LED down to 1% so I could still see around the tank but with red being the lowest color on the spectrum, it’s hard for them to see in it, at least right away, so almost like fishing in the dark. I have nothing to back this but I would imagine their eyes would adjust so I treated it as such and knew I only had maybe one or two shots.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can, you might get an extension tube for that sponge filter. I think the fish would be happier with more current at the top disrupting the surface to increase O2 exchange and to lessen the current they have to swim against in the lower end of the tank. Good luck with the treatments.

OP
OP
Kinghugo5

Kinghugo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start treatment as soon as possible if they're symptomatic, what did you decide to treat with? The amount of water changes will vary depending on that.

I have cupramine so planned on that. They’ve all already been through prazi so that’s checked. Should I follow the directions on the bottle or the ppm that others suggest? Or is it the same?

If you can, you might get an extension tube for that sponge filter. I think the fish would be happier with more current at the top disrupting the surface to increase O2 exchange and to lessen the current they have to swim against in the lower end of the tank. Good luck with the treatments.

I’m headed to the LFS tomorrow to get some live blackworms to make the CBB feel fuzzy so will look for one, thanks!

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I follow the directions on the bottle or the ppm that others suggest? Or is it the same?
Cupramine's directions builds up to the therapeutic levels pretty darned fast. Have found it easier on the fish if you calculate the total number of drops based on the "actual" gallons of your QT and then spread them out over a few days in smaller doses like AM, Lunch, PM, etc.

OP
OP
Kinghugo5

Kinghugo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cupramine's directions builds up to the therapeutic levels pretty darned fast. Have found it easier on the fish if you calculate the total number of drops based on the "actual" gallons of your QT and then spread them out over a few days in smaller doses like AM, Lunch, PM, etc.

Thank you! I’m going to start slowly tonight based on 28 gallons.

Also - off topic but would this be an ideal time to get any coral or inverts I’ve been eyeing in the DT to take them through the fallow period?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also - off topic but would this be an ideal time to get any coral or inverts I’ve been eyeing in the DT to take them through the fallow period?
Yes! Have done that myself. Just make sure to keep to the 76 day clock and not get tempted to add something else "wet" later during the fallow. ;)

OP
OP
Kinghugo5

Kinghugo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t seem to find any info on if cupramine can give false positives to nitrite and nitrate. They say it does for ammonia.

I tested both this morning and read both nitrites (1ppm) and nitrate (25). I’m using salifert - should I be worried or is it likely since they are liquid test kits the copper is getting in the way of an accurate result?

Thanks!

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 45 45.5%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 32 32.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 16.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.0%
Back