A New Journey - 180 Gallons

gpd124

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before we started having kids, about 10 years ago, we had a 65 gallon saltwater aquarium. It was a nice setup and I kept it well maintained. As the kids came, and my career required more time, I had to leave the hobby and put things on the back burner.

Fast forward 10 years, my wife and I were talking about getting rid of the last of the aquarium equipment (It is amazing the things we hold onto through life). In the midst of the discussion, my wife and kids express interest in setting up an aquarium. I used this opportunity to parlay the old 65 gallon into a larger tank. As luck would have it, I found a pretty good deal on a used 180 gallon setup (gotta strike while the iron is hot).

98F49C81-A7BB-42A1-AB21-90878C7173CA.jpeg

Needless to say, here we are ready to embark on a new journey (setting up a new tank!).

I sold my wife (and myself) on the idea that it came as a package and it didn’t need a lot. As I have been contemplating the new setup, I saw a good deal on a skimmer. I naturally thought this would be an upgrade over what came with the package (the skimmer is due in later this week). My wife is beginning to question where this road ends (too late, ahead full steam!).

Unfortunately, due to work, I haven’t really been able to do much in terms of setup (other than sorting equipment). My next step is to have an electrician out to the house to run a set of outlets to a dedicated GFCI breaker. After that, I am going to purchase / install a water change station (which will be located in the garage).

Stay tuned......

Last edited:

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's going to be great. The tank looks really clean too.

Don't forget to take the "kids inside the big empty tank" picture before you fill it.

OP
OP
G

gpd124

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Work has been very busy, but I am slowly moving forward.

Tonight I worked on getting the skimmer cleaned up. First time I ever used citric acid, but it seemed to work pretty well.

CE0889C4-399B-4E0C-87F4-72ABCBFB4033.jpeg

OP
OP
G

gpd124

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What brand is that skimmer?

It is a Bubble King Double Cone 200. I picked it up used.

The setup I purchased came with a different skimmer, but I decided to selectively upgrade a few things. One lesson I learned from my old 65 gallon was that sometimes it is better to set it up the way you prefer from the beginning.

Krissreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good choice

It is a Bubble King Double Cone 200. I picked it up used.

The setup I purchased came with a different skimmer, but I decided to selectively upgrade a few things. One lesson I learned from my old 65 gallon was that sometimes it is better to set it up the way you prefer from the beginning.

muggle0981

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are you setting up 180g

basement
First floor level?

asking as looking at putting 180g on first floor with basment underneath, tank will sot over 1/2 finished portion of basement and 1/2 unfinished and look like steal beam that runs across basement tank is gonna sit just in front, and then furnace and ductwork in unfinished portion looks like not much area to support floor.

have it looked at and belief is tabk should be ok for weight as it will be spread across the joyces and across more...just the unknown

OP
OP
G

gpd124

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are you setting up 180g

basement
First floor level?

asking as looking at putting 180g on first floor with basment underneath, tank will sot over 1/2 finished portion of basement and 1/2 unfinished and look like steal beam that runs across basement tank is gonna sit just in front, and then furnace and ductwork in unfinished portion looks like not much area to support floor.

have it looked at and belief is tabk should be ok for weight as it will be spread across the joyces and across more...just the unknown

It is great that you are already thinking about the possibility of support, even better that you had someone look at it.

Luckily for me, the tank will be located on the ground floor of a split level. We have a concrete pad downstairs.

OP
OP
G

gpd124

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New sump arrived and wife is still wondering where this all ends. Like I shared at the beginning, too late for buyers remorse!

BF09CE52-A725-4F03-ADD8-EFA4D1654E59.jpeg
BEDD3D1F-2A46-4FAF-991E-91CF34F7AEE1.jpeg

Onto the issue of the night - the sump won’t fit between the studs of the stand!

Life is full of interesting twists and turns. Teaching my little guy about adversity, and determined to overcome this issue, my son and I head to the garage and return with a couple of wood planers!

Needless to say, half an hour later, and a pile of wood chips, the sump fits!

73106B38-36B5-49FF-9A00-2FC9D112673F.jpeg

The studs are 2x4s and double stacked in the stand. I didn’t think it would be a problem to shave off the corner of the two studs (one front and one back). As is the case with a planer, it always looks like more when all the wood chips are laying around.

OP
OP
G

gpd124

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more picture of my little guy helping move the ballasts, etc.

7E193987-8732-4BE6-9527-039F8E3B3608.jpeg

We had to unscrew the wood mount that was holding the ballasts. We are reconfiguring things under the stand.

OP
OP
G

gpd124

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been a slow go (work remains busy). Here we are almost 6 months later and not a lot more to report on.

I continue to add equipment and tinker with the setup. I did buy (2) used Kessil AP700s. Also, several months ago I bought a 7-stage RODI from BRS (our water is not very good, chloramine, etc.). Tomorrow, I am picking up (2) 55 gallon water storage tanks for the water change station (to be located in the garage).

Things are coming together and I am hoping to have water in the tank sometime in the next couple of months. I have to keep things in the slow lane for now as we bought a hot tub and are in the midst of installing the concrete pad, etc. (happy wife, happy life!).

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back