A quick look at feeding "SPS" : What they need and how to give it to them!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Birddog

Hooked on Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another book sold here! I come home each day from work, look into / checkout the reef tank, say hello to the fan damily, scratch the dog on the head and log onto R2R looking for your blog. You have amazing talent both personally and professionally.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Learning lots, thank you n_n
It'll be a while before we have wifi back, but I have a little bit of data to play with on our plan - and what better way to spend it?

Sure beats paling "Angry Birds" or "Farmville", right? LOL

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The New R2R blog.........Scott's Reef bedtime stories.
Scottie, you're cranking it lately.
You sure you feed the Coral Crack to your corals as I believe you nipping some to before a daily dose!
It ain't Vodka you know.

JMSKI333

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scott!

Great read! +1 on loving your writing style because it is informative and entertaining. I particularly found the fact that Amino Acids should be dosed during the day most helpful. I have been adding Acropower to my tank at night thinking that they use it while they're feeding. I didn't even bother looking it up.

Thanks for your help!

Jimbo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your book should be dedicated to the keeping of SPS corals......you can call it "Sticks" ;)

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great read Scott, some of these subjects can become quite boring in written form but you surely have a knack for writing things in an interesting to read manner. Keep writing them and we'll keep reading.

P.S. Sorry for your loss

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great read Scott. Curiouse... What are you P04s and N03s at?

Well, on tow of our raceways we tested last night, they are .21 and .04, the rest are undetectable. Our colors in the two raceways have never been better...Coincidence? I think not!

-Scott

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The New R2R blog.........Scott's Reef bedtime stories.
Scottie, you're cranking it lately.
You sure you feed the Coral Crack to your corals as I believe you nipping some to before a daily dose!
It ain't Vodka you know.

I have this crazy craving for zooplankton lately..hmm? :tongue:

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the kind words...I'm gonna re-start my "book" project thanks to your inspiration! We'll see what it could become...Way different than anything you've read before, I'd hope...Woosh!

Scott

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like what you have to say. Good stuff! Makes lots of sense.

Do you run carbon all the time.
Should I not use Rowa Phos my Phosphate is low and I do 10% weekly water changes about 25 gallons.

Also I was planning to try feeding at night. I have some reef chili and some rods frozen food.

I have been vitamin c dosing as carbon source. It is helping my scopes tang grow fins back.

Last edited:

64Ivy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the book idea. The reason I believe yours would work especially well is that you come at your topics from the viewpoint of the hobbyist as opposed to that of the scientist. No offense to the doctorates and such but there are simply more of us regular folk out here and it's nice to go through a given article without feeling the need of having to lie down afterwards. Go for it and good luck.

Sorry to hear about your Dad.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So are you for or against vodka? (In my tank)

I didn't understand that part.

I'm not against vodka dosing...We did it for a while when our systems are new. There is some good information out there regarding vodka dosing. However, in the end, we found that simply stocking our raceways with fish, feeding the heck out of our corals, and not going hog-wild with protein skimming got us where we wanted to go. It's a viable method for reefers who want to take a more "proactive" approach to carbon dosing.

Hope this clarifies?

Scott

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like what you have to say. Good stuff! Makes lots of sense.

Do you run carbon all the time.
Should I not use Rowa Phos my Phosphate is low and I do 10% weekly water changes about 25 gallons.

Also I was planning to try feeding at night. I have some reef chili and some rods frozen food.

I have been vitamin c dosing as carbon source. It is helping my scopes tang grow fins back.

Thanks for the kind words. In my personal systems, I'm a big believer in full-time carbon use. It's something I've always done, and it's more of a force of habit than anything else. We do run activated carbon on a regular, but not full-time basis at UC. Part of the reason we run carbon is that we are constantly dipping corals, and some of this material is released back into the system by LPS, softies, and zoos. Carbon helps remove some of this residual before it can accumulate and become a potential problem. Also, there is the issue of allelopathy ("Checmical Warfare") between thousands of corals in our systems..It's a very real concern as a coral farmer, so we need to at lease address that! Also, its an excellent remover of excess organics...When you feed as much as we do- even with our more "relaxed" attitude about nutrient control and export, we still want to give ourselves another level of protection!

-Scott

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back