A R2R Spotlight: "Purple Death"

bryan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gosh Fickle, I think I just got a tad more excited than expected reading your description! :D

I hope you get paid to write that kind of stuff.

Great description!...and great pics everyone!

Peace, Bryan

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a pic of a frag I traded that showes how blue the PD polyp skirts I have, have gotten....They also seem to have a dark almost black edge just past the start of the skirt that starts the polyp face.....

DSCN0095.jpg

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
keep 'em growing Azurel... who else is having explosive growth on these babies?

Who Dah?

Exoticfrags.us
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi there!

so i was looking at some zoas in my work tank trying to id a frag (it's always fun when you cannot quite place a particular frag, eh?) and realized they were PD's from Creetin (thx Creetin!). but they looked more like BD (Brown Death), ha!

looking closer: under high lighting (6" from the surface under a 150W DE) & moderate flow they look brown through the acrylic (through the side of the tank), and a lighter purple from the top.

same tank, but down low and to the side (i.e. indirect light) with low flow and they are darker purple both from the top and the side.

pretty good growth rates in either placement.

cya!
-Who Dah?

weimers75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't believe the growth on these. I got one polyp at the Fish Guy's Swap, and I now have 8. They grow like weeds - beautiful weeds!

msman825

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi there!

so i was looking at some zoas in my work tank trying to id a frag (it's always fun when you cannot quite place a particular frag, eh?) and realized they were PD's from Creetin (thx Creetin!). but they looked more like BD (Brown Death), ha!

looking closer: under high lighting (6" from the surface under a 150W DE) & moderate flow they look brown through the acrylic (through the side of the tank), and a lighter purple from the top.

same tank, but down low and to the side (i.e. indirect light) with low flow and they are darker purple both from the top and the side.

pretty good growth rates in either placement.

cya!
-Who Dah?
mine are real high. lost alot of the purple
100_0958.jpg

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone elses polyps stay small, smaller than dime size? I started with 2 polyps, both came unglued but I was able to find one and reglue it. I now have 7 polyps from that one but they stay on the small side. I think a lot of my palys are smaller than others due to fewer nutrients, but they still remain healthy otherwise.

Last edited:

Brandon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, i noticed that too

when i got a smaller frag, and the polyps were smaller than the usual size polyps, the new growth on the smaller frag is the same size as the smaller polyps...if this makes any sense....

xinumaster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is mine. But starting to brown up. However, the polyp at the bottom of the rock that has less light seem to be more purple.

DSCN1470.jpg

kenske

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a single polyp a ew weeks ago. Within 2 weeks i got a baby polyp. My issue with my PD is that it is more "fushia",as marvin described it, than purple. I have seen some really purple ones. It is curently on the sandbed in a 24 nano cube with 150 watt MH & 2-24watt t5 actinics.

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
let's see updated shots of your colonies guys... we should keep updating the spotlights with monthly or quarterly growth pics of your colonies... and also include what you've done differently to help them grow or thrive... :)

Flash shots...
06-27-07_PD_P.jpg

06-27-07_PDFl_P.jpg

jc_reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am very excited to be getting some of these in the next couple days! Hopefully all the information on here will help me get/keep my PDs looking really great!

jeffsreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine do great but do not seem to get very big about the size of a dime.

hardcz

A.T.P.N.F.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's good to see the various colors of these, and sizes, a friend and I constantly comment at the size difference between his colony and mine, which are about 3x larger, disk wise.

Raptor

Angel Of Death
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you notice there the first pic that i took that fisckle used is not a top down. :)

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back