A R2R Spotlight: "Purple People Eater" (PPE)

waynesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is doing well on the sand bed under 250w DE 14k. It usually spot one or two polyps every month.

jessiesgrrl

Hasslehoff is NOT Hot!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chris2222000 said:
jessiesgrrl said:
I don't have any yet... Working on it though!!! I have only seen one set in person- and that guy traded 3 polyps for a calcium reactor, no joke... Crazy how hard it is to get them.

:D
Laurie

LOL you know why....its because youre so far North! Why dont you just ask Santa? :wink: ( Thats if you were a good girl this year :wink: )
One day I shall visit Maine and carry along with me a purple people eater :D
I just recieved my phoenix de bulb, so hopefully my ppe will look much better, then I'll be interested in trading :wink: .

-Chris

:gggrrrroooaaannnn: Tell me about it... I have 3 lfs within 30 miles of my house, and I have seen zoas at one of them 3 times in 4 years. If I want to catch some in person, I pretty much have to go to Boston, and then it's a crap shoot what common ones they have when I get there!!

Thank goodness there's a Santa on CZ!!! I think I can be good at least for the last few months of the year.... <grin> I love getting company up here- it's very s_l_o_w backwater living. I want to come down for the CZ east coast swap, too. Maybe I can meet you guys there for some woohooo frag swapping!

Laurie

impur

GO DUCKS!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 1 polyp of these from a local reefer. After a few days in my tank, it began to have a gaping mouth. I moved it to considerably less light and it slowely started to come around. Now i've got a nice sized baby polyp and some great color out of it.

P1010260.jpg

twon8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a good close up shot, but there are underneath a 400w 20k xm and vho actinics, and they are growing pretty well in the two months i have had them.

P9242972.jpg

berns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as there are a few varieties/colour morphs of PE's it would be good to have a PE spotlight showing these and as more are seen add them to library.

am i right in thinking they all have green mouths?

jessiesgrrl

Hasslehoff is NOT Hot!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, all people eaters have green mouths and are gigantus, I believe. They have the white little streaks on the polyp sheath when they are closed.

Laurie

Patwa

Zig-Zag pro since '96
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:( all you lucky reefers!!......we don't have this morph up here :(...i've looked everywhere...either some people keep it all to themselves or they just don't exist...... :(

Zach

jessiesgrrl

Hasslehoff is NOT Hot!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zach, how far are you from Maine, driving time wise? Care to make a day trip one day soon?
Laurie

maroonytunes

Reefing Without Coral
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
patwa, if you don't have any when I get some, remind about this, I will meet somewhere in between me and you, I'll give you 3-5 polyps on me, just to get them moving through Toronto, it will be a pay it forward. Laurie, beat me to it.

Patwa

Zig-Zag pro since '96
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow...you guys are da bomb!!!.....YES!....please save me a PPE!! (god knows i'm going crazy emailing and messaging people trying to find some!)

if you guys are ever in toronto..make sure to give me a shout...i'll fill your pockets with some nice stuff :D

Zach

kevin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to find myself a small 2-3 polyp ppe frag. If any of you have any, pm me.

Thanks,
Kevin

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
forgot to add my pics.. :D

3_PPE.jpg

3_PPEClose.jpg

Jokers.. which for some reason I can't keep.. they keep melting on me.. I'm left with only 1 polyp..
20_JokerPalys.jpg

plaz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marvin'sReef - what type and K of lighting do you use? Those are gorgeous!!!

I have a 5 polyp frag of PPE in QT. I thought it was a goner - it took it 6 weeks to open (I did a short freshwater temp/ph matched when I got it that I guess it didn't like). Now it is finally doing great under the 20k halide, but doesn't have full color yet. Right now, the polyps are larger than my zoas, but not as large as I thought they would be (smaller than most of my palys). I'm curious about the size of the different PPE's. On RC someone was selling them that said their polyps were the size of a nickel and bright purple. I've also read that Blane's (or Bryan's) originals were not that bright or large. Is this accurate and what is the largest polyp size for PPE?

kurbs

Zoa & Paly Luva
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too agree, I have never seen them larger than a dime and almost all the ones I have seen have been a deep purple with a bright green ring and mouth. Marv - your's are HOT! What lighting do you have and where are they placed. Those are the richest purple I have seen. Did your frag come from the same colony as mine?

It all depends on the person whos taking the pick too and what type of camera was used. Adjusting the white balance can make a huge difference in color.

Marvin'sReef - what type and K of lighting do you use? Those are gorgeous!!!

I have a 5 polyp frag of PPE in QT. I thought it was a goner - it took it 6 weeks to open (I did a short freshwater temp/ph matched when I got it that I guess it didn't like). Now it is finally doing great under the 20k halide, but doesn't have full color yet. Right now, the polyps are larger than my zoas, but not as large as I thought they would be (smaller than most of my palys). I'm curious about the size of the different PPE's. On RC someone was selling them that said their polyps were the size of a nickel and bright purple. I've also read that Blane's (or Bryan's) originals were not that bright or large. Is this accurate and what is the largest polyp size for PPE?

reefboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey you can all hit marvin up lol this is a frag im sending him lol dont worry he's hooking me up.
zoos022.jpg

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.9%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back