A R2R Spotlight: "Purple People Eater" (PPE)

plaz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice polyps! I would love to get a frag of some that are that large someday. I have 8 polyps of Pink Elephants now (that are really beautiful). Maybe we can arrange a trade once I get a colony going that it big enough to frag!

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that photo was taken under 15k XM's... mine are anywhere from dime size to nickel size...

got zoanthids?

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marvin, you said something way back on page 1 or 2 about trying to feed smaller items to the PPE like cyclopeeze or golden pearls.....Do you target feed these small particles or just feed the water column and "pray". I feed both of these too, but could not imagine how you target feed them if you do.
Scott

got zoanthids?

JGoslee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ppe-3.jpg

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yo Marv why did you have to cut it up bro?

had 9-10 polyps die out! YIKES!!! so I got scared and I was just gonna break it into half but it wasn't pretty... :(

now I have 3 main frags that I'm racin' against each other.. and I also have a 3 polyp PPE frag that have direct lineage from Perun... so, now I'm down to 4 main frags that have less than 10 polyps each... :(

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well you got backups everywhere bro! ;)

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well from the frag that i just got from you, Marv, i already have a baby pop out on it.:)

you know the lineage that I just recently sold were my back ups.. those seem like they have a different growth DNA coz they grow quite good for me... :)

good luck Steve.. keep us posted with progression quarterly or monthly shots... that'll be awesome to see.. :)

OLDSUN

Polyp Hospice Worker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ppe's

Recently sold off 50 polyp's of ppe's. In lots from 1 to 4 at $35 a poylp. But I have sold them alot before at $50 a polyp. But these are my home reefers.sold them on r/c in the Phoenix FRAG forum. I posted alot of pics there. I keep them midway in the tank with a med. flow range, they dont like to be pumbled. I feed them but I feed all my frags, I dont especially "spot" feed anything. They grow pretty well for me. The colony in the main tank also does well and continually spreads. Eventually I'll have to frag it up somehow, but I'll most likely try and let them go wild.

Ocho Cinco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a single polyp about 2 weeks ago and it took a while to open in the first place. When I moved it mid light (6 54 T5HO) it opened. Now all of a sudden it's been closed for 2 days. I moved it lower today and still no luck. I don't know why...

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a single polyp about 2 weeks ago and it took a while to open in the first place. When I moved it mid light (6 54 T5HO) it opened. Now all of a sudden it's been closed for 2 days. I moved it lower today and still no luck. I don't know why...
try giving it a little bit more flow.... sometimes, they will closed for a few days to a week to clean themselves internally... as long as the polyp look healthy, I wouldn't be too worried... good luck... :)

Ocho Cinco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Thanks, I'll try that tomorrow. A little lower light and a little higher flow.

macawmagic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my old colony...
IMG_4321.jpg

IMG_4300.jpg

IMG_4310.jpg

sadly to say...it has since melted away down to 2 polyps. Don't ask me why. no zoa pox. no predators. no nothing. and then all of a sudden stopped dieing and theres 2 left. I also have 1 frag with 4 polyps and 1 frag with 2 polyps. It hurts sooo bad to look back at these pictures. AHHHHH!!! No clue why they melted. Everything else including all my other zoanthids were and still are perfect.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.8%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back