ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ruby Red

spotlightPic.jpg

- This zoanthid has a very distinctive look and this look may help to distinguish it from other red zoanthids. The Ruby Red is distinguished by its speckled red look with a dark brown almost black background. The skirt has a banded look in that it switches from red to dark brown/black.

*** I don't have these zoas so it will be up to the CZ community to give us the best lighting, flow, feed or not, or any other info for this color strain.***

Lighting:
- Can tolerate a wide variety of lighting as long as you give it some acclimation time. Color -vs- Placement is still being tested so any additional feedback would be appreciated.

Flow:
- This zoanthid should be started under Low/Moderate flow as it adjusts to your particular system. Like most zoas/palys flow can be increased after acclimation to determine the best needs of this coral. Keep in mind that while most zoas then to tolerate less flow than SPS or palys it doesn't imply no flow. The best flow is one that will move the skirt around but not cause the polyp to close.

Feeding:
- Ruby Reds do accept foods such as mysis shrimp.

Origins:
- Unknown

Rarity:
- Still a rare color strain to obtain, Ruby Reds are fairly new to the aquaculture scene so as it finds itself in more hobbyiests tanks it may become more available in the near future.

ID Confusions:
- The only zoanthid that I think Ruby Reds can be confused with are the KeddRedds which can have a speckled look under higher lighting. The major difference is that KeddRedds have a blue/purple mouth on them.
http://www.zoaid.com/index.php?module=Gallery2&g2_itemId=57

Other info:
- Ruby Reds can also be found described as "Red Wine" or "Wine Red".

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Feel free to comment on past Club-Zoa Spotlights:

Club-Zoa Zoanthid/Paly spotlights
Red People Eater

Mean Green

Eagle Eyes

Purple People Eaters

Zoanthid Anatomy

Armageddon

Purple Death

Armor of Gods

Nuclear Green

Club-Zoa Care Spotlights:

Shipping Methods

Zoa Dip

Zoanthid Anatomy

Last edited:

grisha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think this is a sweetest zoa in trade. and i cant find any for a long time

Chelsey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME (which is limited :p) they grow pretty quick under medium light. I've got a 40 breeder with a 6-bulb t-5 fixture about 6 inches from the water and the RWs are about in the middle of the tank...they've gone from 2 to 4 polyps in about a month...growth is quicker than my "strawberry wines" anyway.

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO only.. ;)

Lighting:
- can tolerate a wide variety of lighting.. just needs to be acclimated properly.. just like any other zoas/palys.. still figuring out if they are more red with less or more light... I have about 3 frags I'm experimenting this with..

Flow:
- low-moderate to moderate flow is always a good start for any zoas/palys...

Feeding:
- they catch mysis when I feed my fishes but they let go of it after a minute or two so I don't think they are consuming any of it... I'll be trying smaller particles like cyclopeeze or coral frenzy or golden pearls.. I'll keep you guys posted...

Origins:
- dunno.. hehe..

Rarity:
- fairly hard to get since it took me a year to find a frag... but there's several people on this site that are fortunate to acquire couple of frags from a generous reefer that broke his colony to share with us.. I think they'll be more to go around in the next couple of months... :)

here's a pic of my first frag... started with 1 polyp last week of Sept... I now have 5 on this frag....
1_RedWines.jpg

jonbar1

Growing Out
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't noticed a feeding response, but they do grow quickly. My four polyp frag has sent out four new, almost mature polyps in just over a month. Under higher lighting, mine have lightened up in color (especially the skirt) but still sparkle just as much.

Here's a couple pics of when I got them, I'll get an updated pic.

127_2791.jpg

128_2820.jpg

kurbs

Zoa & Paly Luva
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine eat mysis when I target feed them with no problem. I am now up from one to four polyps

Last edited:

jessiesgrrl

Hasslehoff is NOT Hot!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude, I literally bawled when these melted on me. My hubby was really, really weirded out by it...

LOL
Laurie

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think mine are doing pretty good. ;);)

i think i have around 12 polyps total (including any baby polyps)

those small circular white things to the bottom right of the frag are freakin me out though. "supposedly" they are nerite snail eggs, they appeared about the same time i introduced some nerite snail eggs to the tank. just freakin me out though....

rubyredzoas.jpg

msman825

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Al those are sweet. I'd be diggin those eggs off if they were mine :scratch:

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Al those are sweet. I'd be diggin those eggs off if they were mine :scratch:

i *think* they are nerite snail eggs, only b/c i did a massive search on RC and only found one pic that looked EXACTLY like them, and everyone said nerite eggs.

they are all over the place, esspecially in the corners of the tank on the glass, and frag plugs. but they dont seem to be harming anything.

i was afraid i may be infested with some type of small limpets though. :(

they showed up the same time the i put the nerites in the tank, so i put 2-and-2 together. they dont move any (i dont think). they have been decreasing in numbers also, so i'm hoping they will just go away.

in order to test this, i may throw a couple of nerites in my mantis tank to see if they show up in that tank.

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I had them breeding like crazy....If you get them on the front of the glass they are really cool to get a magnifying glass and check out the larve as the develope in the egg shell. When they become of a certain size of larve they burst. I even had them on the shells of other snails, not sure how that works but it was neat....

BudweiserSelect

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry i'm a little late on this but IME

Lighting:
- the redness is more in intense under medium light. If you blast them with light they end up bleaching or getting more of an orange tone.

Flow:
- like marvin said flow is moderate, if you have to much flow the skirts give more extension.

Feeding:
- i've never tried to feed them directly but i have noticed that everytime i feed the tank some polyps close even if they don't have anything in their mouths.

Origins:
- got my frag from frank @tropoasis over 2 years ago
Rarity:
- started with a 4 polyp frag that turned into a small colony heres a pic before i fragged it out
rr1.jpg
its not to common

IME these zoos don't like nutrient low tanks...i have shared with a few buddies and if thy have really low nutrient tanks they usually melt or die. in all my tanks i noticed they had the most color and were fluffier :D when i lagged it on the water changes.

hope that helps
angel

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 69 34.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 51 25.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 32.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.0%
Back