A Rant over the lack of fish quality today

stevieduk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gotta vent...... every single fish I buy anymore NEEDS quarantined. Not only for the sake of spreading disease but because they are actually sick when I get them. I have spent 1000's this past month on rare fish only to get ich and flukes and recently velvet. Thank god I QT the fish with ich and velvet. I have never had velevet however by looks of my two new purchases Achilles and hybrid black tang it is velvet. They have been IN brand new QT since I got them all new water. Treating with CP and still the disease is winning.

However I will admit flukes have got into my DT recently so I'm not perfect.

Seriouisly is depressing I had every intention to buy a gem tang or polyzona coming up but with the way fish are now days it just not even worth it unless you are filithy rich and money doesn't matter.
The fish people are doing to fish exactly what the big wholesale nursurys did to plants , their stock is so huge that they get a disease or bug in thousands of plants and its imposible for them to wipe out so we end up with it in our gardens and houseplants , and then go and buy a cure for it which is made by ,,,, yes you guessed it ,,,, the same poeple who own all the big plant nurserys.
Could be part of a master plan to double sales , you buy the fish , and then have to buy the medicine to cure the fish that they have infected

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Admittedly slightly off-topic but I have a question. The last eight months I've been building up a new fish only system. Pretty much finished stocking it and everyone has done beautifully. No one has showed any signs of illness. All were pre-dipped in Hydro Plex before being placed in the tank. As it was a fish on system I didn't quarantine as I knew I could medicate the tank if needed. To date no fish is shown any signs of illness.

Would there be any benefit, insurance or adverse events if I wanted to run treatment of copper and/or prazi through the system? Against the system had no invertebrates and no corals. Just with all this talk of velvet going to the wholesalers I am a bit anxious. Tank inhabitants include a trigger, purple tang, FoxFace, maroon clown, marine Betta, harlequin tusk, flame Angel and majestic angel.
IMO if you don't need to, don't.

Prazi can't hurt, although I don't think you would have issues with copper I would wait until symptoms arise, personally.

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO if you don't need to, don't.

Prazi can't hurt, although I don't think you would have issues with copper I would wait until symptoms arise, personally.

Thanks. That was my lean. Everyone is a happy bunch. Will just be vigilant to catch early signs of whatever.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1469410416.665530.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1469410449.348158.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1469410460.949176.jpg

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. That was my lean. Everyone is a happy bunch. Will just be vigilant to catch early signs of whatever.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1469410416.665530.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1469410449.348158.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1469410460.949176.jpg
Beautiful tank!

Phil Cusimano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish people are doing to fish exactly what the big wholesale nursurys did to plants , their stock is so huge that they get a disease or bug in thousands of plants and its imposible for them to wipe out so we end up with it in our gardens and houseplants , and then go and buy a cure for it which is made by ,,,, yes you guessed it ,,,, the same poeple who own all the big plant nurserys.
Could be part of a master plan to double sales , you buy the fish , and then have to buy the medicine to cure the fish that they have infected
You have some valid points there. But we should also keep in mind that the worst time to buy any marine livestock fish or coral is from I'd say mid june to mid september, in the summer the livestock suffer not only from the stress of long journeys from suppliers to wholesalers, but has to battle the element of additional heat that adds even more stress to the livestock. But like I said you do have valid points. We care about our livestock, and them to last years not days. Supplies and wholesales only care about sales not the livestock.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 18.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 42 51.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.9%
Back