A Reef2Reef Spotlight "Echinophyllia (Chalice)"

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello R2R members! I need your help to make this both informative and fun. So post away and I'll try and keep up with the updating this first post!

The Echinophyllia aspera (aka Chalice) has been a hot commodity lately in the reef community lately. With new color combos appearing every week this coral has a lot of color and variation to offer.

Congratulations to Mark (aka Marko9 or mpoletti) on winning the spotlight photo contest.

Echinophyllia

mpoletti.jpg

Lighting:
- In most situations a chalice will show the best coloration in a medium light setting. This can be either on the sand bed of a taller tank lit by MH/T5 or partially shaded in a more shallow tank.

- Certain color variations may prefer medium/higher light situations with precaution. Always contact your vendor to find out what conditions they use in their facility.

- With medium light corals it is always best to acclimate under indirect and/or partially shaded locations in the aquarium.

Flow:

Feeding:
- Feeding Echinos is possible and meaty foods such as Mysid are a suitable food source.

Placement:
- With medium light corals it is always best to acclimate under indirect and/or partially shaded locations in the aquarium.

Propagation:
- With the skeletal base of the Echinos, the use of a handhelf rotary tool (dremel) with a diamond blade is suggested. When cutting and Echno the cutter will want to maintain at least one "eye" per frag in order to maximize survival chances.

Origins:

Rarity:
- In general the Echinophyllia is not an uncommon coral in the aquarium trade; however, certain color variations can be difficult to come by thus fetching a higher price.

ID Confusions:
Echinophyllia oxypora

Other info:
- Under the colorful flesh of the echino is a skeletal base. Placed near another substrate this coral may spread onto that substrate by carpeting it's flesh over the attaching skeletal base.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't forget, these spotlights are only as strong as the feedback and pics we get from you people out there. So please, post a comment, a pic, or a question.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
R2R has organized all the spotlights into a single forum so feel free to post pics, comments, or questions:

R2R Spotlight Series

Last edited:
OP
OP
ficklefins

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Don't forget, these spotlights are only as strong as the feedback and pics we get from you people out there. So please, post a comment, a pic, or a question.

guys, we need feed back to fill out the details in order to help others in the future... :)

Thanks...

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes come one people! Participate! ;)

FaviaFreak

Weir Everywhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the winning photo is of the Rastafarian Enchino, I'm sure Mark will chime but as far as my husbandry practices with this coral goes... med light under 20K MH and Med flow...it will eat PE Mysis which in turn will help encourage growth. A very easy enchino due to the fact that it can handle a lot of light whereas some enchino's won't fully color unless they are in diffused or shaded light. Placement anywhere on the bottom of the tank should suffice and as long as parameters are stable it should grow for years to come..this is my frag of the Rastafarian which I believe originated from Hector and Jeremey at Exoticfrags, if I'm wrong somebody please chime in...this is kept under 250w 20K Helios
newcorals084.jpg

pitbullguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a pic of one of mine, it is deep in the tank so it is hard to get a clear pic. Mine will eat anything including formula 2 pellets. Here is a couple progression shots.
October 12 2009
IMG_4208.jpg

May 5 2010
IMG_5261.jpg

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 154 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back