OP
thegrimreefer

thegrimreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I used epoxy to fix the shard back into place using J-B Weld Clearweld. Says it supports up to 4400 psi. Cosmetically, this is fixed, I can hardly even see the difference unless looking at the tank from an awkward angle. Could just using this epoxy have added any support to the glass as well? It fit perfectly back into place and I pressed the shard into place hard as hell without feeling nervous about it. Any other ways I could add extra support externally/internally? I came to the decision that the “cracks” I spoke of earlier are probably just old scratches from a flipper glass cleaner..just paranoid looking at everything now. I do plan to replace the tank whenever I come across a used NUVO 40. I’ve cleaned the Nuvo 10G QT incase of an emergency, but I don’t even think everything would fit in there so I’d rather avoid a unnecessary tank swap to a smaller tank if the current situation can hold out until I buy a new 40. Thank you all for the feedback here, such a supportive community. I have photos from when I first started this tank and I’ve always wanted to post a build thread. Probably will soon, especially if I have to tank swap. Posted a pic from about 6 months ago. Any further input you have on this would be greatly appreciated, as I’m still spinning my wheels on what to do.

ECF54E24-2872-424E-A470-BE33BDB30051.jpeg C692123A-ED45-4E96-8D5C-FC842AAF2123.jpeg D114B702-F40A-4251-8C12-6F2454FBDC1C.jpeg 993399E5-8BEA-4135-BEEB-15EDDC5F9410.jpeg 6357AEE1-7940-4636-8C15-1EC33D970CB9.jpeg D3EC7D0B-8919-4E33-AF33-6A38ADCC4277.jpeg

Sparent25

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the exact same thing to a brand new Red Sea Reefer 425XL but mine was in the bottom corner and it actually cracked through more so than just a chip. Based on where it is on your tank, the fact it is more of a chip than a crack and above the water line I would say you are good to. I did like the suggestion of having a cheap tank on hand just in case something happened. I don't think however anything will happen based on where it is. I would keep that tank running myself. I am no expert obviously though but I spent a good amount of time researching, reaching out to Red Sea and thinking about mine when I did it so I have seen and read a ton in regards to this. Good luck and I am sorry that happened.
@jk1151 how did you end up solving this? Was Red Sea responsive and did they allow you to purchase a new reefer? I ask as I have similar predicament with a 170 that has a crack at the bottom portion of tank but not leaking (yet)

00C6F00B-8386-49A9-8E2E-9A612144DAFF.png

OP
OP
thegrimreefer

thegrimreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to let it be..I can’t see how the location and depth of the chip could be harmful. I even stressed tested the front glass by banging a hammer on it..still going to monitor and purchased a back up just on case!

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gluing the shard back into place will add some structural rigidity, so if it passed the structural integrity test without the chip in place, it’ll only be stronger with it in place.

chvvkumar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to let it be..I can’t see how the location and depth of the chip could be harmful. I even stressed tested the front glass by banging a hammer on it..still going to monitor and purchased a back up just on case!
I would be very wary of stress lines like that in glass. Glass is always under high tension internally. As long as this tension holds, it can withstand a lot. But one little bit of force from the wrong point and it's game over.

This is how strong and at the same time fragile glass can be:

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 73 29.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 71 29.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 52 21.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 47 19.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.8%
Back