thegrimreefer

thegrimreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Sorry this happened. There great tanks. I am not going to give advice because there really is no way to say for sure what is going to happen. I can only say that if it was my tank I would leave it. I would not see it failing. Even with the damage should it fail it should not be a catastrophic fail.

I do always say, better safe than sorry. Also, if you will worry about it long term, switch it now.

And also, #WelcometoR2R .
I think the location of the chip is what gives me the idea I should leave it, but then again I don’t know. Been back and fourth all day staring at the dang thing.

Bossman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The damage looks more like a scallop then a chip. It's pretty much above the water line. I would use it.

You could epoxy the scallop area for peace of mind. But I wouldn't do anything.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was my tank................... I would think about cutting out that panel and replacing it. I have done this before.
I might just be lazy and silicone a piece of glass to the top on that one side to give it some added suport and call it a day.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might consider using light cured "super glue" like they use for windshield repairs and fill the chip area. In my experience your chip is not as big a problem as a crack that runs into the viewing panel. The latter is a death sentence for the tank.

This is another situation where acrylic tanks are much better at taking impacts without chipping or cracking. Glass only takes a bump as you just demonstrated.

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you still have the chipped piece, I’d epoxy it back in place. It’ll act to stabilize that spot a lot better than if left as is. If you do not have it, you can place a few pieces of tape over the spot and place vertically, leaving a small gap a the top. Mix some two-part epoxy (probably 1-hour cure or longer) and using a twenty ml syringe, slowly squirt it into the the open hole on top. Once the chip is filled in and barely weeping out, leave it to cure. The next day you can come back to it with a razorblade to remove the tape and any excess.

reefsean03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may be best just to replace it. I know it sucks but at least you won’t have nightmares in the middle of the night that your tank busted. Since you made a thread about this you’re probably pretty worried.

Assuming you have corals, could you maybe frag and sell them to recoup costs of a new tank?

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hello all,

I’m quite nervous about what just happened to the corner of my tank. Was changing purigen and picking out some algae. Was placing the algae in a small glass dish while I cleaned. After I finished cleaning I picked up the glass dish and it bumped into the top of my tank. Looked down to see a shard of glass chipped off...I’m not sure what to do now or how worried I should be. The chip isn’t into the silicon, but its about 3 inches or so long down the side of the tank. What precautions should I take? Repair? New tank? I already have an entire system that has been running for over a year with livestock. Any input you all could offer would be incredibly helpful.

Thank you!

Jeff
2259F684-A8C5-49DF-B937-5A52D5D17D73.jpeg
2259F684-A8C5-49DF-B937-5A52D5D17D73.jpeg
23E94704-D809-4945-A809-C138F0703C03.jpeg
1B2C7D98-8967-4D0C-A222-F6091149F9C3.jpeg
1BA8066B-0E5E-448C-83AB-6773F1DFD320.jpeg
As stated, call IM. But you have to get a new tank ASAP. That’s 40 gallons eyeing your floors. Sorry, that stinks.

Piranhapat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be honest it’s more cosmetic than structure Not like a crack. More chip. I don’t see a real issue with it. They sell clear epoxy. Can try windshield glass repair. Only for cosmetic look to make you feel better. Google you will see lots
YouTube . I just notice the crack on top. Its above the water level. I wouldn’t be to concern. Good luck

Last edited:

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you had to have a chip, that is about the safest place to put it.

But if it is going to wind you up every time you look at it, then it is worth replacing.

Wait. I have an even better answer: Use this as an excuse to replace the tank with one that has thicker glass (and twice the volume.) Then everything will be better. :)

(But I should add that I am sorry about your grief over this. While I think you are safe, I'd be bummed a bit myself.)

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fact is the entire pane of glass is now stressing differently, doesn’t matter if it’s above the water line or not. The pressure is on the entire pane of glass. So now you have a section that is weak and worse it’s in an area where it’s only sealed on one side and were the damage is at. The top edge is not adding support to the glass as there is no sealant or bracing. So all the stress is on that corner instead of a shared load.

Failure might come on it’s own or one day you’re cleaning and you lean a little on that pane and poof the glass blows out.

One thing you can do is add a 1/2 square piece of glass to the inner corner and seal it in with appropriate sealant. This would strengthen the corner. Doing anything to the outside won’t fix the corner stress.

Silly as it sounds you can wrap the tank at the top with some Duct tape. It will equalize the pressure a little and ease the stress on the corner glass. You can do this too give you some piece of mind till a permanent fix is done.

To do any kind of a decent repair you’ll need to empty the tank and cure the sealant. If you need to do that much work I would just do a tank swap. Either a new IM or Upgrade opertunity.

Last edited:

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glass is a temperamental medium, it can contain stresses from manufacture and how it’s annealed after its been made. No one can tell you whether it’s going to be ok with any kind of certainty, because without viewing the panel with a polariscope no one can see the stresses present. If it was my tank I’d go through the trouble of replacing it, because it’s going to be a lot worse if it fails on you.

OP
OP
thegrimreefer

thegrimreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glass is a temperamental medium, it can contain stresses from manufacture and how it’s annealed after its been made. No one can tell you whether it’s going to be ok with any kind of certainty, because without viewing the panel with a polariscope no one can see the stresses present. If it was my tank I’d go through the trouble of replacing it, because it’s going to be a lot worse if it fails on you.
Not looking good..I’ve noticed some other cracks that almost look like scratches that I’ve never seen on the front pane. Also looks like there are two places with watermarks? The good news is I have a NUVO 10G that I was using as a QT. Might have to move everything in until a new tank comes in. Any recommendations on how to move everything? Perhaps a forum on downsizing? I have no idea where to begin but need to do something today..

jk1151

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the exact same thing to a brand new Red Sea Reefer 425XL but mine was in the bottom corner and it actually cracked through more so than just a chip. Based on where it is on your tank, the fact it is more of a chip than a crack and above the water line I would say you are good to. I did like the suggestion of having a cheap tank on hand just in case something happened. I don't think however anything will happen based on where it is. I would keep that tank running myself. I am no expert obviously though but I spent a good amount of time researching, reaching out to Red Sea and thinking about mine when I did it so I have seen and read a ton in regards to this. Good luck and I am sorry that happened.

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not looking good..I’ve noticed some other cracks that almost look like scratches that I’ve never seen on the front pane. Also looks like there are two places with watermarks? The good news is I have a NUVO 10G that I was using as a QT. Might have to move everything in until a new tank comes in. Any recommendations on how to move everything? Perhaps a forum on downsizing? I have no idea where to begin but need to do something today..

Moving stuff into a rubbermaid container (if you have one) would probably be better than nothing. I’d leave the sand behind (if your tanks has it) and not worry about it. I’d fill your container with as much tank water as you can and just start moving the rocks and corals as best you can. Sorry you’re having to go through this. accidents happen don’t be too hard on yourself.

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Liquid Physics laws state: liquid in a container exerts equal pressure upon all sides of the container. Even though the chip is above the water line, it's still under the same pressure as the rest of the pane.
I would replace it as soon as possible.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 71 30.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 67 28.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 50 21.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 47 19.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.8%
Back