A Simple Guide To Common Problematic Algae And The Means To Control It..

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks .... another one you may want to add is red slime - cyanobacteria - not really algae but referred to as slime algae or red slime algae ... and yes there are Green Wiry algae as well and also the other type of green Bubble algae ... the one that grows in small clusters, and of course red bubble algae so as you say ... there are indeed plenty more that hobbyists may have to deal with ...

Thanks for all the info ....

Albert

reefobsessed

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great info...I currently am dealing with a diatom. My tank has been set up for 5 months, and I have had the diatom for over two months. I use RO/DI water.
Change 5 gal a week in a 29 bio cube. Does RO water contain silicate? If I stir the sand, its back within 30 min. Is this just a waiting game?

Mike2112

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too have the 29 BioCube and do water changes the same too. Some say it is a waiting game, some say it may be the salt or sand. Test the RO water first then after you mix it with your salt, then when in the tank. If your water is pure, you know that is not the source. If Silicate is still at zero after you mix the salt and let it age a day or so, it is not the salt, so the only other thing is the sand. I believe I am correct about this...input??

bitumenman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check your media too, if you don't have any look into a phosphate/silicate media

nexusnight

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have what looks like a cross between diatoms and hair algea but only on the sand bed. Any ideas? I can't se to get it to go away. Currently I have no fish in the tank and run carbon and Gfo and of course always rodi water. When I had my tangs in the tank and a sand sifting goby it seemed to keep it under controll. My fish are in qt as somehow I got ick

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You running a skimmer?
What are you Phosphate levels?
What is the TDS of your top off water?

nexusnight

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a vertex in180 and my system is about 170gallons. Tds is 0 and phosphates are undetectable on Hanna phos checker

unionfishguy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mildly bad Cyanobacteria problem and I was hoping to get some tips to get rid of it

bitumenman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their is not one source for algae growth. It usually consists of two or three factors, poor lighting, nutrients, heavy bio load, water source, over oxygen (aka bubblers), fluctuations via temp alk mag,
Consistent parameters are key to a successful reef system

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back