A small explanation regarding Maxspect Biospheres/Bioblocks

csmaxspect

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the products of Maxspect bioblocks or biospheres, they are made of ceramic materials, you can just put them in the sump.

Depending on what kinds of bacteria you want to cultivate in your sump, you can put the bioblocks or biospheres in different locations.

For example, Anaerobic bacteria grows on the environment of lacking Oxygen.

And hobbyists usually make thick sand bed to build the lacking-Oxygen environment for anaerobic bacteria to grow.

While there are millions of small holes on our ceramic bioblocks or biospheres, which means it will make a perfect place for bacteria to grow.

Then it depends on you to grow what kind of bacteria on them:
If you put it in the place with rapid water flow, with sufficient oxygen carried with water flow, it will be perfect place for aerobic bacteria to grow;
If you put it in the place with slow water flow, with insufficient oxygen carried with water flow, it will be perfect place for anaerobic bacteria to grow;

For an example, to bacteria, the ceramic bioblocks/biospheres are like a super huge buildings, containing millions of rooms.

If there's enough Oxygen coming along, there will be aerobic bacteria filling in those rooms;
If there's not enough Oxygen coming along, a lot of aerobic bacteria will die due to lack of Oxygen, and those rooms will be filled by anaerobic bacteria. And finally it will become a balance.

With these holes, even a small area of aerobic bacterias could have a strong demand of Oxygen, making it quite easy to grow anaerobic bacteria if you place it in a slower water flow place.

We tested and found that, with two bioblocks piling up in slow water flow, it can gradually grow anaerobic bacteria on the bottom place of the bottom block.

04.jpg

dmsc2fs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if you can duplicate similar effects even with a high flow sump. For example a soda bottle with the top cut off and filled with the balls. This should have limited water movement "inside" the bottle providing a anaerobic area.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.6%
Back