Bioblocks and bottomed out nutrients

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“An entire reactor of Matrix”. Are you aware that running a boi media like this in a media reactor will specifically encourage aerobic bacteria AND discourage anaerobic (because of the forced flow)? This would likely explain the ineffectiveness you are seeing.
Thanks, I was going to post the same thing :)

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not following...
Then quite projecting and listen.

“In Reef Aquarium Volume 3, Julian Sprung discusses how aerobic & anaerobic chemistry happen in close proximity of each other (coupled).”

“Let’s park here and talk about anaerobic & aerobic bacteria. Aerobic bacteria double in density every 20 minutes. Anarobic bacteria take 6 hours to double in density, because of the energy required to break the bond of NO4 molecule to consume oxygen and then allow a free N2 molecule to escape as nutrient export.“

Last edited:

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

“In Reef Aquarium Volume 3, Julian Sprung discusses how arobic & anarobic chemistry happen in close proximity of each other (coupled).”

“Let’s park here and talk about anaerobic & aerobic bacteria. Aerobic bacteria double in density every 20 minutes. Anarobic bacteria take 6 hours to double in density, because of the energy required to break the bond of NO4 molecule to consume oxygen and then allow a free N2 molecule to escape as nutrient export.“
No need to be rude.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see no reason for bio blocks in any reef system with low nitrate and I’d remove them.

Converting ammonia in them is not needed, and may be detrimental.

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

“In Reef Aquarium Volume 3, Julian Sprung discusses how aerobic & anaerobic chemistry happen in close proximity of each other (coupled).”

What in a the world am I projecting. And quotes like this is completely useless and unhelpful: “In Reef Aquarium Volume 3, Julian Sprung discusses how aerobic & anaerobic chemistry happen in close proximity of each other (coupled).” This is similar to someone throwing a random quote from the Bible and everyone following like it's be-all-end-all. You yourself can't explain these things, so you just throw out random quotes that are pretty meaningless.
have a point GIF

OP
OP
Sploot

Sploot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Removing the bricks might effect your nitrate lv or might not. IMO bio bricks do nothing for phosphate.
Were the bricks “seasoned “ in your display? IMO it will not hurt anything to remove them.
Everything in the tank has a bio film on it by now. So ammonia lv should be ok and good for coral anyway!!

Do you have coral in the tank yet? Either way, IMO just let nature take its course and let the Dino burn themselves out. 2 months is very new.
Bricks were cycled in the frag tank and rock/livestock were transferred in after. Yeah, ammonia levels hopefully won't be an issue since the rock sustained the fish in the other tank already!

Tank has had coral in it for the greater half of the 2 months. Mostly a collection of torches, which have all been showing decent growth and health. Although, have heard torches can potentially suffer from a lack of nutrients, so just trying to take a little preventative action

blazn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...Even with carbon dosing, you won't completely eliminate nitrates because there are just not enough anaerobic bacteria in the system. It is possible to replicate those conditions, but you would have to have a massive filtration system designed to completely suffocate part of the water from oxygen.
FYI: you do not need a "massive filtration system" to create sufficient anaerobic conditions to significantly reduce & even completely strip nitrate from your system using carbon dosing: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/poor-mans-nutrients-control-donovans-nitrate-destroyer.302685/

pygoplites77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see no reason for bio blocks in any reef system with low nitrate and I’d remove them.

Converting ammonia in them is not needed, and may be detrimental.

I agree if we are talking about a tank already started with live rock: increasing the surface area that can be colonized would not make sense, because there are no problems with nitrites and ammonia.But if we are talking about an aquarium to be started, it could be really convenient to insert bio blocks instead of live rock... both economically and to have a more streamlined layout in the tank.Do not you think?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree if we are talking about a tank already started with live rock: increasing the surface area that can be colonized would not make sense, because there are no problems with nitrites and ammonia.But if we are talking about an aquarium to be started, it could be really convenient to insert bio blocks instead of live rock... both economically and to have a more streamlined layout in the tank.Do not you think?

I’m not sure if it is desirable to have more media and less rock, but if live rock cost is an issue, it may be ok.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer the look of diver collected live rock over bio blocks. I use Gulf Live Rock for biodiversity, not for filtration.

pygoplites77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also prefer living rock..
However, if these very small biomedia can each replace 1 kg of living rock, it would benefit not only in economic terms, but above all in terms of space.
The real gain, I believe, is the possibility of having a very slim rock climb and putting the bio balls in a small section of the sump, being able to use the remaining space for technique

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's pretty straightforward. The amount of anaerobic bacteria in our filtration systems is minimal. That's why we have a continuous build up of nitrates in our tanks.

Speak for yourself :)

I don't have any accumulation of nitrate in my tank.
I dose Nitrate as it is unmeasurable otherwise.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back