A Surprisingly Dangerous Hobby (Palytoxin Thread)

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's kind of why I was asking about it. I had never even really heard about it until then, partly because I haven't kept palys/Zoas before, and wanted to know more about the subject. Evidently it's one of those subjects that can get folks of differing opinions all fired up.

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's kind of why I was asking about it. I had never even really heard about it until then, partly because I haven't kept palys/Zoas before, and wanted to know more about the subject. Evidently it's one of those subjects that can get folks of differing opinions all fired up.

Its a very real concern, but super rare. Only certain palys/zoas have substantial amounts and they have to be really iritated to release it. It's not something to get worked up over in my opinion.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those posts have certainly been popular here recently (no doubt it's being overhyped), but I've seen it being discussed for 15+ years now. It's not a new concern.
Yes of course. I get that, but now there is a hyper focus on it. The discussion is not healthy it is centered around fear and it has long ago jumped the shark. (sic)

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a very real concern, but super rare. Only certain palys/zoas have substantial amounts and they have to be really iritated to release it. It's not something to get worked up over in my opinion.

That is good to know. Any particular varieties come to mind that have substantial amounts?

While I am sure it's easy enough to avoid irritating them myself, what about other livestock? By which I mean, would say, a niger trigger moving an improperly secured frag, or a moray swimming through a colony be enough to set them off, or are we talking like physically damaging them level of irritation?

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A while back there was a series of unfortunate events. There was Shark Week and the news for whatever reason picked it up and the next thing you know it is a full on panic. Everyone was panicking over shark attacks the news breathlessly reported EVERY SINGLE one. People were talking about it in passing. There were segments on how to not get eaten and proper swimming etiquette.

Shark attacks that year were the lowest in a decade plus. :)
Shark attack is a conundrum.
I've never heard of a shark coming onto a beach and attacking a person.
That person was in the sharks habitat.
Just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is good to know. Any particular varieties come to mind that have substantial amounts?

While I am sure it's easy enough to avoid irritating them myself, what about other livestock? By which I mean, would say, a niger trigger moving an improperly secured frag, or a moray swimming through a colony be enough to set them off, or are we talking like physically damaging them level of irritation?
grandies
cinamon grande 102920.jpg

Courtney Aldrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a lot of good information in the other threads. I've attached a nice case report highlighting a typical incident. Palytoxin is a beautiful molecule and very toxic with lethal doses of around 10 micrograms (0.01 mg = 0.00001 g). The concentration in the very few Palys/zoas actually containing the toxin can be pretty high relative to the estimated lethal dose (2-4 mg palytoxin/g tissue). It's rare but increasingly better documented as hobbyists become better educated. For comparison, tetrodotoxin found in pufferfish (fugu) kills a few hundred people each year ;Dead.

Attachments

• Suspected Palytoxin Inhalation Exposures Associated with Zoanthid Corals in Aquarium Shops and...pdf
    303.7 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a lot of good information in the other threads. I've attached a nice case report highlighting a typical incident. Palytoxin is a beautiful molecule and very toxic with lethal doses of around 10 microgram (0.01 mg = 0.00001 g). The concentration in the very few Palys/zoas actually containing the toxin can be pretty high relative to the estimated lethal dose (2-4 mg palytoxin/g tissue). It's rare but increasingly better documented as more hobbyist become aware. As long as people wear gloves, don't eat their zoas and exercise caution, I think it's a low risk. By contrast, tetrodotoxin found in pufferfish (fugu) kills a few hundred people a year on average ;Dead.
And one of the best books ever written IMO, covers it (tetrodotoxin) nicely....
9780684839295_p0_v1_s1200x630.jpg

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Moreso Paly's than Zoa's but there's no way to be sure. We don't know what exact variants are a concern.

No, other livestock won't cause a noteworthy release of palytoxin into your home.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The funny thing is, I have a puffer that could probably kill me in the right circumstances but I refuse to put zoas or palys in my tank.
And we don't think twice about lionfish or stonefish. ::sigh::

Who could forget the Blue Lagoon. Lul.

I am old enough to remember conversations, because there was no social media just social, about the dangers of lionfish or stonefish toxins. Funny they sounded a lot like these conversations.

Don't even get me started on blue rings. :p

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jeeze..the toxins are dangerous folks. Wiped my eye, swollen just about shut within 24 hours. Don't know if it entered my blood through that or cuts in my hand (no protection)...work with my hands. Cuts all the time. Almost like food poisoning and lost about 15 lbs within a few days. Different zoas/plays have different effects and should be treated with caution. I was dealing with about 15 different ones so I don't know which ones did it.. I ordered that many and were bagged with multiples overnight..so Perhaps warfare. Just make sure no easy access ie cuts or squirts...they don't Penetrate 7 layers of healthy skin. That was Years ago. Just make sure no cuts and wash.

Tabbers920

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I know the green palys do, mean greens/ green implosion, Venus flytrap, and of course Captain Jerks-. CJ slimed as I was removing them and I got minorly poisoned 2 months ago. My lfs owner is a marine biologist and knows which have the toxin or not, he said if they slime- they have the toxin.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the green palys do, mean greens/ green implosion, Venus flytrap, and of course Captain Jerks-. CJ slimed as I was removing them and I got minorly poisoned 2 months ago. My lfs owner is a marine biologist and knows which have the toxin or not, he said if they slime- they have the toxin.
Funny seeing as all corals slime when mad, and they don't all have palytoxin. But according to your "marine biologist" LFS they all do?

I think your LFS is lying to you to make himself look like he knows what he's talking about.

This is another thing that is really of no concern. People have been cutting up zoas/palys for decades, yet there are only a handful of palytoxin experiences. If this was as bad as the media makes it to be, we would not be keeping zoas/palys in the hobby.

Use some common sense when cutting them(face shield, gloves, eye protection), and this is of no concern.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back