A Surprisingly Dangerous Hobby (Palytoxin Thread)

Tabbers920

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny seeing as all corals slime when mad, and they don't all have palytoxin. But according to your "marine biologist" LFS they all do?

I think your LFS is lying to you to make himself look like he knows what he's talking about.

This is another thing that is really of no concern. People have been cutting up zoas/palys for decades, yet there are only a handful of palytoxin experiences. If this was as bad as the media makes it to be, we would not be keeping zoas/palys in the hobby.

Use some common sense when cutting them(face shield, gloves, eye protection), and this is of no concern.
Maybe he meant a specific kind of slime, I'm not sure. He took out anything toxic for me and left many palys/zoas that don't have the toxin.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Palytoxin poisoning IME is easy to avoid as long as you take the right precautions. I.E. Wear a mask, gloves, and goggles, and keep the room aerated. With this, you should be fine. The one time I had problems was the first time I dealt with zoas, and didn't do anything precautionary, and got a metallic taste, headache, and itchy arm. Of course, that was without direct contact. If some gets in your eye or mouth, then complications can become very severe.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a follow up close/proof agreement on the man in Dallas who was claimed to have died of palytoxin

did we get anything beyond a Feb news headline on it, I searched just now but saw no true closure. That’s horrible for sure am sorry for that mans family, truly wondering what the final Dr. verified outcome was

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a follow up close/proof agreement on the man in Dallas who was claimed to have died of palytoxin

did we get anything beyond a Feb news headline on it, I searched just now but saw no true closure. That’s horrible for sure am sorry for that mans family, truly wondering what the final Dr. verified outcome was
Uh ya your not gonna get one unless your the guys physician...

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are afraid of being killed by palys, please do not get in a car, because you are far more likely to get killed that way. Or in a swimming pool. Or on a ladder. Or choking on a napkin at Waffle House.

Last edited:

kingjoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A while back there was a series of unfortunate events. There was Shark Week and the news for whatever reason picked it up and the next thing you know it is a full on panic. Everyone was panicking over shark attacks the news breathlessly reported EVERY SINGLE one. People were talking about it in passing. There were segments on how to not get eaten and proper swimming etiquette.

Shark attacks that year were the lowest in a decade plus. :)
Reminds me of when "Jaws" came out... Jesus. Peter Benchley later expressed regrets over publishing the book, given the anti-shark hysteria it stirred up.

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My friend is basically immune to palytoxin. He cut himself while fragging a zoa and didn’t realize it no gloves or anything. He also siphoned down a dead anenome on accident once

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My friend is basically immune to palytoxin. He cut himself while fragging a zoa and didn’t realize it no gloves or anything. He also siphoned down a dead anenome on accident once
You can get lucky or not problems. Different zoas are different, but another type could be bad for him.

Back