A Surprisingly Dangerous Hobby (Palytoxin Thread)

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard the odd mention of Palytoxin here and there, but only in passing, and not how dangerous it can be. Having recently read the thread about the poor fellow and his wife hospitalized, I was genuinely shocked and I wish them a swift recovery. I have some questions about this stuff.

What species produce it? Just palythoas, or all zoanthids?

What causes them to release it, stress, damage? How to avoid causing it?

What precautions are necessary when working with them to avoid exposure?

Some google-fu tells me certain other corals and even inverts have it? If that is true, which ones?

Just how dangerous is this stuff? I'm sure it varies from person to person, and how much/long the exposure was, but judging by the thread, there's a decent bit of variation.

Lastly, are there any other venoms/poisons that we may encounter in this hobby to be concerned about? I've accidentally touched my BTA, and was tingly for an hour or so. I had a Dwarf lionfish, but was never stung, though have heard it's not so bad.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience with palytoxin has been that it depends on a lot of issues. Palys and zoas are the biggest offenders. Avoid getting the slime they produce on your hands or anywhere near your face.

I had issues when I put small rocks with zoas and nuisance algae in hydrogen peroxide. It bubbles and I assume the bursting bubbles put the toxin into the air for me to breath in (BTW, I was wearing gloves). I had no short term reaction (i.e. over several hours). But that night I had heat & cold cycles, trouble breathing and some muscle cramping. The next day these symptoms were much less sever, but I know I wasn't 'right'. But the end of that day I was fine.

IMHO, I think exposure can vary by huge amounts depending on how long you are in contact. I don't have any reaction when I touch a zoa or paly with a bare hand while moving a frag or a rock covered with zoas. But if I were going to be handling them for more than a minute, I'd wear gloves.

I also believe that like mosquito bites and bee stings, different people have hugely different reaction to them and to palytoxin.

One last point, I deal with a number of different anemones and have handled them for long periods of time and I've never had any reaction other than the feeling that they are 'sticky' due to their nematocysts.

I hope that helps some?

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does help some, thank you. Still, as much as I like Zoas, I'm now seriously reconsidering them for my new tank. As low as the risk may be, I also am not a huge fan of potentially dying from a hobby. Maybe I'll go with a bunch of RFAs instead.

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
more likely to get injured in a car accident driving to the lfs than paly-toxined.
use common sense and enjoy the view.
zoas 011821.jpg

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does help some, thank you. Still, as much as I like Zoas, I'm now seriously reconsidering them for my new tank. As low as the risk may be, I also am not a huge fan of potentially dying from a hobby. Maybe I'll go with a bunch of RFAs instead.
This is me....sort of....as soon as I mention palytoxin to the lovely wife, and it was looked up....she'd have a coronary. Not because she sticks her hands in the tank but myself lol. They are beautiful, but for now, I'm on the outside looking in....

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read many times that "other corals can contain palytoxin" but I've yet to find any literature specifying which corals. I'm curious to know whether this is true.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is so strange to me, two weeks ago people couldn't spell palytoxin much less point out what causes it. Then a thread comes up with absolutely ZERO information and now people know everything about it and are scared to death that they will die from it.

I think a little perspective is in order. This should never be Shark Week. That is really not a good thing.

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is so strange to me, two weeks ago people couldn't spell palytoxin much less point out what causes it. Then a thread comes up with absolutely ZERO information and now people know everything about it and are scared to death that they will die from it.

I think a little perspective is in order. This should never be Shark Week. That is really not a good thing.

I agree people shouldn't be freaking out, but palytoxin has been a well documented risk for decades. I don't agree that "people couldn't spell it two weeks ago".

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a huge number of things in my house that are toxic. A few of my corals are among them.
Some of my fish are venomous so I do not try to pet them.
I am more worried about the 10 gallons of gas I have in the garage for my generator if I am honest.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I gotta say...I DESPISE Shark Week....what a total dumpster fire that turned into over the years....bunch of shlock crap.

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(sic)

There. :)

I must not be smart enough to understand this.

Did I misspell it? Or is it because I used quotation marks without quoting you exactly? Or some other reason flying completely over my head?

Last edited:

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm shocked some ambulance chaser hasn't picked up one of these cases and filed suit against the seller.
or the government hasn't jumped in to "regulate us to safety".
Because it’s an absolute miniscule amount of cases, not worth anyone’s time and squarely the fault of the person.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gotta say...I DESPISE Shark Week....what a total dumpster fire that turned into over the years....bunch of shlock crap.
A while back there was a series of unfortunate events. There was Shark Week and the news for whatever reason picked it up and the next thing you know it is a full on panic. Everyone was panicking over shark attacks the news breathlessly reported EVERY SINGLE one. People were talking about it in passing. There were segments on how to not get eaten and proper swimming etiquette.

Shark attacks that year were the lowest in a decade plus. :)

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must not be smart enough to understand this.

Did I misspell it? Or is it because I used quotation marks with quoting you exactly? Or some other reason flying completely over my head?
(Situation in Context)

I was being hyperbolic. It was meant to be tongue in cheek.

The point was that no one was talking about this a two weeks ago, because no one knew or cared about it. Rightly no one saw it as a danger.

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(Situation in Context)

I was being hyperbolic. It was meant to be tongue in cheek.

The point was that no one was talking about this a two weeks ago, because no one knew or cared about it. Rightly no one saw it as a danger.

Those posts have certainly been popular here recently (no doubt it's being overhyped), but I've seen it being discussed for 15+ years now. It's not a new concern.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 83 48.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 31.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.9%
Back