A thread about threads (Well, thread size)

c0njuay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a UV which came with the tank when I bought it. I am trying to locate a 3/8" barb to 18 thread per inch coupling. (I'm thinking that is the correct thread size...)Nylon, of course. I tried online but received a 8 TPI male threaded end. I believe that is a hose bib size and I need something with much finer threads. So the questions are: What is the usual thread size used for a 3/4 inch ID threaded coupling? (because that is the size of the opening on the UV)
Does anyone know where to locate this size that barb to threaded coupling? BRS lists a bunch of 'schedule 80' couplings, but nothing that size.
Thanks, folks

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 3/4 sch 80 coupler with NPT, FTP or MPT should be std threaded.
You want a barb / nipple that threads into a 3/4 coupler. The UV has a threaded opening with internal threads?
Here is a barb for 3/4 with MPT . FPT is interchangeable with NPT and MPT

Now if the UV unit is made in the UK or another foreign country it may not come with std fittings. This is a common problem with pumps. They usually come with the correct fittings. If they are gone, it can be hard to find what you need.

OP
OP
c0njuay

c0njuay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I took so long to reply- I have the original 3/4 barb, but I wanted to step down to a much smaller pump, a pump with a 3/8 output. Everyone says the longer dwell time would increase the effectiveness of the UV for dino/flagella and rather than a larger pump very restricted, I wanted to try a 400 GPR pump. I guess I will have to run several reducing barbs in a row...

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back