Status
Not open for further replies.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I do consider the sheer inability of any cycling umpire to provide an example of a truly failed cycle they've directly seen an aspect of updated cycling science.

Old cycling science painted the risk as high, not low, constant, many-fold, for thirty years or more.

Waiting for Lasses input. I'm sure he's seen an aquatic production pond fail at a fish hatchery, but I'm asking for simple reef tank links from a thread he worked.

If I can't find a single fail example, much less 3, from the top reefers I know, then that's amazing and we should quit painting these risks to readers that we can't produce.
Her is a potential problem you haven't thought of. My guess is that you're not seeing/getting either a complete nor balanced number of cycling questions. I'm especially thinking of new reefers - taking their 'live' rock home sticking it in their tank - with xxx fish and invertebrates - since there is no way to know how much bioload one can handle with rock from a pet store, I'm sure there are lots of people who have failed, but don't report it or know they can report it. I know - when I was younger - until I figured it out - it was pretty easy to kill fish with overloaded bioload, etc.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's reasonable agreed. Its why the least I can do is put concrete trackable examples here so there's accountability for the approach. all I can do is be accountable to the ones I see and can work.

If anyone copies what we do here silently, without making a thread: it isn't going to fail.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got Lasse's answer, it met the predictions in place.

Nobody here has seen one failed cycle in their reefing career that they can clearly link, no recent examples, no past ones, that's amazing. I figured I'd get at least 4.

Right now, Bean is combing the web furiously for links of anything, failed acclimations/anything we can pin on ammonia lol. post what u find Bean
You must lost your mind or - you ask me in my NO2 thread if I have seen any crashes caused by NO2 in saltwater. I have never claimed that.

On the other hand - I have seen many deaths because of NH3 toxification both in new aquarium with too much fish/food and in fish transport over 24 hours where people mix the bag water with high pH water from their tanks.

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:
OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agreed, too much fish food can overcome resident bacteria and ammonia crash. that hasn't been a problem for me though, ever, in any cycle worked because we don't use copious feeding. I would also consider a weeklong power outage that stopped a reef from having motion, heating or basic supports not a cycle crash either.

I had shortened the example list to: display tank reefs only for a reason (that's what we're working with here)

the only way a smooth transfer of rocks among two tanks is going to fail, or be problematic, is if we have them provide a proving ammonia pass test using non-seneye kits. at that point, we'll have every false stuck cycle thread on the internet (working animals, in all cases, only a degree of debatable nh4 to argue about/not really a fail)

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
both in new aquarium with to much fish/food
agreed, too much fish food can overcome resident bacteria and ammonia crash.
Not to much fish food but if you feed more fish than your nitrification process manage to handle - you get a rise in total ammonia and if pH is high - NH3. To adjust the nitrification process to expected load - that´s cycling

Sincerely Lasse

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Closed under staff review.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back