A thread tracking pure skip cycle instant reefs, no bottle bac

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve upgraded. And changed tanks more than I’d like to discuss but I’ve always just took what I had like my last upgrade from 60gallon to 350 gallons and used that little bit of rock and moved everything over the same day and kept going with new dry rock! Never had an algae problem I’ve never seen an ugly phase either! It’s pretty simple if you add the dry rock and use calcium carbonate “diy coral snow” add some mb7 or zeo back and let it snow in your tank it coats the surfaces and allows the good bacteria to stay put on the rocks and keeps the uglies away.. I’ve added over 150 pounds of dry rock to my tank and never saw a spec of algae and they turn solid purple in 6-8 weeks…
Same here

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of cause both @exnisstech, @MnFish1 and @Troylee :s approach work - its already cycled - its only just moved to larger volume of water - but it has nothing with a rip clean and Skip cycle instant reef to do - its only like a huge WC in a larger tank. I have done that - hundred of times. It does not need any work threads to confirm decades of knowledge - its just common sense

Sincerely Lasse

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of cause both @exnisstech, @MnFish1 and @Troylee :s approach work - its already cycled - its only just moved to larger volume of water - but it has nothing with a rip clean and Skip cycle instant reef to do - its only like a huge WC in a larger tank. I have done that - hundred of times. It does not need any work threads to confirm decades of knowledge - its just common sense

Sincerely Lasse
I’ve always looked at as a water change and nothing more lol.. From what I witnessed on my last upgrade turned me into a strong believer that huge water changes are better than little ones here or there.. I moved what Little Rock I had Into my new tank that was all new 300 gallons of salt water “didn’t use any old water” and my corals never looked happier! My sticks flourished and I was like wow! I see people doing daily ones they might help but from my experience and I’ve even seen Jason Fox changes like 800 gallons in one shot or something crazy! The corals don’t mind in fact love it!

Ben's Pico Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If not related or quite on track ill remove:
1000002467.jpg

While this was instantly started with bottle bacteria. My water changes were the equivalant of putting in a new tank weekly.
i will attach video. I would scrub everything. Only time I had issues is when i was unable to do my maintenance for a few weeks due to somethings going on.

This is the same as taking rock and throwing in a new tank each week. There was no issues. Same principle applies. In fact my current build I am following same principles. And this tank only has the corals skeleton to carry bacteria. Everything is doing great. But im also being appropriate with bioload.

exnisstech

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sincerely Lasse
I guess thinking about it it is nothing more than a move. I should ask exactly is the definition of a skip cycle? I've cycled tanks instantly adding live rock rubble with a bunch of dry rock. Is that a skip cycle or just an instant cycle or are they the same. Question's I probably should have asked before I stepped in :face-with-hand-over-mouth:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1000002467.jpg

While this was instantly started with bottle bacteria. My water changes were the equivalant of putting in a new tank weekly.
i will attach video. I would scrub everything. Only time I had issues is when i was unable to do my maintenance for a few weeks due to somethings going on.

This is the same as taking rock and throwing in a new tank each week. There was no issues. Same principle applies. In fact my current build I am following same principles. And this tank only has the corals skeleton to carry bacteria. Everything is doing great. But im also being appropriate with bioload.

Nice tank

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1000002467.jpg

One very small fish - which - an do you feed it?

Sincerely Lasse

Ben's Pico Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One very small fish - which - an do you feed it?

Sincerely Lasse
Actually i had quite a few at different times. But took me a while to learn to get a lid... a few trimma gobies flaming prawn and catalina. Were my main ones. Kept others.. benepets powder would be all I fed. About every 2 to 3 days roughly. I have another taking now but dont know if ill put fish in this one. If I do it will probably be flaming prawn goby. But more thinking of a small shrimp size and looks of peterson or blue coralbanded.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It means that you have no or a verry verry small nitrogen load. It will not be any toxic NH3 concentrations build up during a week or so. It does not matter if that aquarium is cycled or not.

Sincerely Lasse

Gregg @ ADP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree - except perhaps for the 'years' part. I.e. that even after years there would be an adequate bio load. However, I only say that because of my own experiments with this as well as various scientific articles. In my case, After a month of 'no ammonia', the recovery not delayed (i.e. the time to process 2 ppm ammonia in 24 hours) and If I remember correctly, it was delayed only by a matter of 12-24 hours when the experiment was repeated after 2 months. As I said in that other thread, of course, there are other heterotrophs that can go dormant, etc - that can process ammonia - there is no 'proof' that only obligate autotrophs can 'do the job'.
Yeah, I don’t think after years there would be adequate nitrifying population to process 2ppm NH3 either. That’s what I was talking about with K being in response to the amount of the limiting factor (in this case, NH3) available.

What I’m saying is that maybe the overall concentration of NH3 in the water column might read zero after a long time of no inputs, but there will probably be pockets somewhere in the tank where there is some NH3 being produced (eg bristleworms within the rock work), and some small isolated bacteria will manage to hang on.

In other words, I don’t think it’s possible without an intervention like a heavy dose of bleach to completely rid a tank of bacteria simply by taking the fish and inverts out.

But like you said, if K drops way, way down, there will be some lag time for the population to respond to the limiting factor increase. That said, ecologically, the tank is still cycling even with a low K of nitrifiers. If somebody were to add fish suddenly, the NH3 would shoot up before the nitrifiers caught up.

But here is why it would probably not be a terribly unsafe move to add fish to such a tank. In your trials, you added 2ppm NH3 all at once. In a situation where fish were added to that same system, the increase in [NH3] would be far more gradual (unless you dumped in an huge biomass of fish), and that lag time in shift in K would not be so noticeable. There would be a lag, for sure, but almost as soon as that [NH3] started to increase, the nitrifiers in the tank would respond. So I don’t think your [NH3] would ever make it anywhere near 2ppm in a scenario of adding fish. compared to just dumping NH3 in to get to [NH3] of 2ppm.

It’s maybe a minor distinction, but it’s what I would lean on when deciding if I should add something like 8 damsels to a tank that has been running but fishless for a couple of years. I personally wouldn’t give it a 2nd thought. There will be some bacteria in there somewhere.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, I don’t think after years there would be adequate nitrifying population to process 2ppm NH3 either. That’s what I was talking about with K being in response to the amount of the limiting factor (in this case, NH3) available.

What I’m saying is that maybe the overall concentration of NH3 in the water column might read zero after a long time of no inputs, but there will probably be pockets somewhere in the tank where there is some NH3 being produced (eg bristleworms within the rock work), and some small isolated bacteria will manage to hang on.

In other words, I don’t think it’s possible without an intervention like a heavy dose of bleach to completely rid a tank of bacteria simply by taking the fish and inverts out.

But like you said, if K drops way, way down, there will be some lag time for the population to respond to the limiting factor increase. That said, ecologically, the tank is still cycling even with a low K of nitrifiers. If somebody were to add fish suddenly, the NH3 would shoot up before the nitrifiers caught up.

But here is why it would probably not be a terribly unsafe move to add fish to such a tank. In your trials, you added 2ppm NH3 all at once. In a situation where fish were added to that same system, the increase in [NH3] would be far more gradual (unless you dumped in an huge biomass of fish), and that lag time in shift in K would not be so noticeable. There would be a lag, for sure, but almost as soon as that [NH3] started to increase, the nitrifiers in the tank would respond. So I don’t think your [NH3] would ever make it anywhere near 2ppm in a scenario of adding fish. compared to just dumping NH3 in to get to [NH3] of 2ppm.

It’s maybe a minor distinction, but it’s what I would lean on when deciding if I should add something like 8 damsels to a tank that has been running but fishless for a couple of years. I personally wouldn’t give it a 2nd thought. There will be some bacteria in there somewhere.
Yes that was the idea

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.9%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%

Back