A Turkey Baster: How important is it in reefing?

Do you own a turkey baster that you use for reef aquarium tasks?

  • YES and use it often

    Votes: 692 74.4%
  • YES but don't use it much

    Votes: 136 14.6%
  • NO I have tried but it wasn't of worth to me

    Votes: 23 2.5%
  • NO I have never tried to use one

    Votes: 46 4.9%
  • NO but I will get one now that I know

    Votes: 20 2.2%
  • Other (please explain)

    Votes: 13 1.4%

  • Total voters
    930
I use 2 different intake widths of blasters, 3 ml pipettes, and 1ml syringes for various things. Need all the suck and shoot I can get!
 
But I still cant figure out what these are for. Turkey polyps?

1628987593411.png
Yikes

turkey polyps look more like the C virus.
1629122116026.png
 
It's not made for reefing but it has many benefits for those of us keeping aquariums. It feeds, blasts, sucks and more but is it as important to you as it is others? It's cheap enough but are there better tools for the tasks that the turkey baster can accomplish? Who even cares? HA! I hope you do! Let's talk about it today!

1. Do you own a turkey baster that you use for reef aquarium tasks?

2. What types of tasks do you use a turkey baster for in reefing?


turkey baster.jpg
I use mine for feeding directly some of the corals, anemones ( this specially) and also I use it to blow debris from top of my rocks, works awesome
 
I found the best one is the OXO brand
There is a plastic piece that the bulb snaps into.
Comes apart easy and goes back together easy.
No more bulb sealing issues after cleaning it out
AGREE!
 
I use it at least twice a day to feed my tanks and have another one I use to blow stuff off the scape.
 
Yes - Use it every single day, multiple times a day. Mostly to blow detritus out of live rock cracks or blow sponge off corals, but also to suck up unwanted items such as loose floating mushrooms, etc.
 
Absolutely!! Just need to find the reminderer to do it. But when I lapse for a couple of weeks it reminds me why I need to be more consistent
 
I use mine to feed my fish; I couldn't imagine not having one!
 
These look pretty cool. I couldn't find the same or similar product online. Could you please share a link or product info? Thanks!
Thats because I built them. Marine Depot used to sell them but I got tired of building 100 or 400 of them a month so I stopped and my acrylic manufacturer moved to China.

 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 15.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 58 33.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new