A Turkey Baster: How important is it in reefing?

Do you own a turkey baster that you use for reef aquarium tasks?

  • YES and use it often

    Votes: 692 74.4%
  • YES but don't use it much

    Votes: 136 14.6%
  • NO I have tried but it wasn't of worth to me

    Votes: 23 2.5%
  • NO I have never tried to use one

    Votes: 46 4.9%
  • NO but I will get one now that I know

    Votes: 20 2.2%
  • Other (please explain)

    Votes: 13 1.4%

  • Total voters
    930

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Joined
May 8, 2006
Messages
54,869
Reaction score
122,480
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's not made for reefing but it has many benefits for those of us keeping aquariums. It feeds, blasts, sucks and more but is it as important to you as it is others? It's cheap enough but are there better tools for the tasks that the turkey baster can accomplish? Who even cares? HA! I hope you do! Let's talk about it today!

1. Do you own a turkey baster that you use for reef aquarium tasks?

2. What types of tasks do you use a turkey baster for in reefing?


turkey baster.jpg
 
Definitely have and use one all the time to blow detritus out of the holes and crevices in the rock. Amazing how much junk collects there to feed algae.
 
I use my baster to blow off any sand that critters get on my corals and rock. for feeding, I got large syringes off of amazon. it make it easier for me to target feed exactly what I want each coral to have.
 
I use one to clean out my 5 gallon tank since my vacuum is for 10 to 20 gallons but all my tanks are fresh water.
 
i use the feeding pipette, it work great. wide point with an extension to make it 24 inches

external-content.duckduckgo.jpg

IMG_2969.jpeg
HL01988V2O AQUARIUM FOODS CORAL FEEDER II EXTENSION1$4.49
HL01982V2O AQUARIUM FOODS FINE POINT CORAL FEEDER II1$8.99
bought it in March 2020 from Marine depot.
then added the wide point in Nov.
HL01984V2O Aquarium Foods Wide Point Coral Feeder II1$6.29
not on the BRS inventory (sigh)
 
Last edited:
1. Do you own a turkey baster that you use for reef aquarium tasks?

Yes. Everyone should have a form of one. And maybe 3 or 4.

2. What types of tasks do you use a turkey baster for in reefing?

Mostly feeding. Sometimes I use it to grab a small coral frag. Weird? Well it's a delicate tool and helped me in my last application of getting a goniopora bud off the sand. I did not take pictures of that. But I did get the bud glued to a rock. BTW it's very small. A good photo is very difficult to take of it.
gonibud05.jpg
 
i use mine a couple times a week to stir up hard to reach areas in sump, spot feed, move a little sand around that my clown "who thinks it's a Goby" throws all around, and generally blast off mulm from LR on occasion.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 35.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 14.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 11 6.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new