A unique Reefer 300XL build (Remote sump)

NotoriousDMC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can’t lie I love it. I’m not a big writing code guy but the functionality of it all is just amazing. I would thoroughly recommend an apex to everybody. This is almost entirely based on how much better my aquariums and in particular my frag tank are now running.
+1. As a newcomer to the hobby less than a year ago, I thought Apex was for “advanced” reefers. Now, I think it’s almost the opposite. I run an Apex EL (based on some feedback from the LFS/retailer, decided I didn’t want the salinity probe or other “full” functions), a Trident and an AFS. HUGE confidence builder to have access to so much data. And the AFS programming—turning off the return, skimmer, ClariSea—is just awesome in terms of consistent feeding and lack of food ending up in the overflow.

OP
OP
ReefRondo

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update. Corals are all encrusting and doing really well. Coraline growing exceptionally well too so I’m pretty happy so far. Apart from keeping the glass clean I’m not doing much at all and just letting things take their course really. Something I have noticed is adding that white vinyl to the outside glass of the tank base has given excellent reflection. I have coraline growing on the underside of my floating scape and my green montipora has started encrusting underneath too. Worked exactly as planned!
F94C5429-B920-4224-8CFF-8135CA49D56F.jpeg

08AAF8FC-D749-420C-98C9-DD606A5780A7.jpeg

D52B3785-9474-421C-A9AF-029C4095C805.jpeg

8C8A2EC1-A93A-4411-9417-6C6161656813.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
ReefRondo

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1. As a newcomer to the hobby less than a year ago, I thought Apex was for “advanced” reefers. Now, I think it’s almost the opposite. I run an Apex EL (based on some feedback from the LFS/retailer, decided I didn’t want the salinity probe or other “full” functions), a Trident and an AFS. HUGE confidence builder to have access to so much data. And the AFS programming—turning off the return, skimmer, ClariSea—is just awesome in terms of consistent feeding and lack of food ending up in the overflow.
Totally agree!

dlaird76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great to hear the white vinyl is working so well for you. I love my sand but if I was ever tempted to go bare bottom I'll be stealing this idea. Also happy to see your taking you time and letting the tank mature at a nice steady pace. Keep up the good work. Lovin it

OP
OP
ReefRondo

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks man I really appreciate you checking in. I love sand too but honestly I think the benefits of BB are well worth all of the initial hassle.

Last edited:

MJY

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update. Corals are all encrusting and doing really well. Coraline growing exceptionally well too so I’m pretty happy so far. Apart from keeping the glass clean I’m not doing much at all and just letting things take their course really. Something I have noticed is adding that white vinyl to the outside glass of the tank base has given excellent reflection. I have coraline growing on the underside of my floating scape and my green montipora has started encrusting underneath too. Worked exactly as planned!

Just stumbled across your thread, I really appreciate the attention to detail with all of the small things that often get overlooked! Also love your aquascape.

OP
OP
ReefRondo

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just stumbled across your thread, I really appreciate the attention to detail with all of the small things that often get overlooked! Also love your aquascape.
Thanks man. Very kind words indeed and I appreciate you taking the time to read and comment.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great-looking reef! Following!

Bob E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Completely forgot to post a few pics of the room in general since adding some shelves for dry goods and got my frag saw on a fold-down shelf.
IMG_9625.JPG

IMG_9626.JPG

Still need a third light over the frag tank but as I am running 2 Gen 4 Radion XR30 pros I either have to wait till I can find a second-hand third one or order 3 Gen 5's. I am intrigued by the new Neptune Sky too though.
now this is a nice setup. Well done

OP
OP
ReefRondo

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched out the barb and hose and changed them out for a 3/4 inch tube and barbs

added a marine pure blocks. I have them here for short term. I'll move them to another chamber
How come you changed your plumbing for flexible hose?

Bob E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How come you changed your plumbing for flexible hose?
This part already comes from Redsea with a flexible hose I just changed out the smaller (1/2 or 5/8) bard for the 3/4 and I already had the 3/4 flexible hose. At this time I was planning on leaving most of Redsea plumbing as is. I just didn't like that it was reduced down with Redsea hose and barb and their rigid tube was a larger diameter. this should reduce some back pressure on return pump. or at least it sounded good in my head

Bob E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I just realized that I Posted (#116) in your build thread instead of mine. I can go back and try and remove/edit it if I can

OP
OP
ReefRondo

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update - Corals are all doing really well with plenty of encrusting and growth. The tank seems to be fully settled now and looking forward to seeing how it develops over time. Have more corals to add after they have fully encrusted and I have taken a frag from them to leave in the coral system. I like to have a backup piece of every coral I have. I ran some carbon for a few weeks and noticed both of my tangs getting really bad HLLE so took it back offline and they are already improving. My yellow tang's fins all started disappearing but is starting to recover. Won't be doing that again.
IMG_0764.JPG

IMG_0766.JPG

IMG_0767.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0764.JPG
    IMG_0764.JPG
    201.4 KB · Views: 39

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back