A unique Reefer 300XL build (Remote sump)

dlaird76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. I'm so jealous and happy for you in equal measures . Would really appreciate a detailed description of how it all works and set up once your finished

OP
OP
ReefRondo

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New water change system is working out really well. Lasts over a month and is roughly a bucket and a half of salt to mix to perfect salinity so nice and easy. Only issue as I’m sure all blue bucket users will agree is the residue in the container. I will be moving back to TMPR in the new year if I can find a decent supply.

OP
OP
ReefRondo

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to mention I had a second disaster with my corals and lost nearly every coral in my frag system…hard to watch. This of course eliminates salt from the list of potential candidates. I am now convinced it is entirely bacterial. Decided to change out my Brightwell (some are continuum) bricks as they were all falling apart and have moved back to the Maxspect bricks which are far harder. I’m slowly swapping them out and cooking the Maxspect ones in MB7 before adding. I also sourced some Fauna Marin RTN/STN X and have been dosing that. Things seem to have really turned around. I am a true believer in not changing multiple things at once but sadly in reality that’s rarely what we do as we just want the drama and deaths to stop asap. If this bacteria is waiting for times of stress or imbalance for its opportunity to pounce then I’m throwing the kitchen sink at it to try and eliminate it. First to go were my montipora and then my acros. Survivors have been milka stylo, acans, lobo, Duncan’s. Almost every sps is gone. I’m on day 9 of dosing the new treatment and fingers crossed I have this thing sorted out. I can’t keep going through this.

dlaird76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to mention I had a second disaster with my corals and lost nearly every coral in my frag system…hard to watch. This of course eliminates salt from the list of potential candidates. I am now convinced it is entirely bacterial. Decided to change out my Brightwell (some are continuum) bricks as they were all falling apart and have moved back to the Maxspect bricks which are far harder. I’m slowly swapping them out and cooking the Maxspect ones in MB7 before adding. I also sourced some Fauna Marin RTN/STN X and have been dosing that. Things seem to have really turned around. I am a true believer in not changing multiple things at once but sadly in reality that’s rarely what we do as we just want the drama and deaths to stop asap. If this bacteria is waiting for times of stress or imbalance for its opportunity to pounce then I’m throwing the kitchen sink at it to try and eliminate it. First to go were my montipora and then my acros. Survivors have been milka stylo, acans, lobo, Duncan’s. Almost every sps is gone. I’m on day 9 of dosing the new treatment and fingers crossed I have this thing sorted out. I can’t keep going through this.
That sound horrific mate.

OP
OP
ReefRondo

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one of my favorite builds on here!
Thank you so much for your kind words and for taking the time to take a look at my build thread I really appreciate it. Here is an updated photo of growth progress.
FTS Reefer 3.11.2022 small.jpg

OP
OP
ReefRondo

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
those acans are to die for!
This was supposed to be a strictly SPS system but these beautiful corals just had to go in. That lower section is perfect for them and as you can see they are thriving. Brings a small amount of movement to an otherwise rigid tank.

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for your kind words and for taking the time to take a look at my build thread I really appreciate it. Here is an updated photo of growth progress.
Wow tank is looking stunning so far, I especially like the little ledge you have on your aquascape it looks really unique!

OP
OP
ReefRondo

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow tank is looking stunning so far, I especially like the little ledge you have on your aquascape it looks really unique!
Thanks man. Had to wait months for that rock to arrive so had plenty of time to plan what I wanted. Pretty happy with how it turned out however would maybe not go quite as high with it to allow plenty of headroom for coral growth. I can not speak highly enough about the technique I used to build the scape. Was nice and easy and incredibly solid when cured.

Tanggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW. Picture Perfect...How often do you scrape the back wall?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 25 86.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 6.9%
Back