A unique Reefer 300XL build (Remote sump)

OP
OP
ReefRondo

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one of the cleanest builds I've seen on this forum! Great job. I'm looking forward to your tank maturing even more.
Thanks for taking a look. I know this style of tank is not everybody’s cup of tea especially the bare bottom but it has all worked out exactly as I planned. Taking the time over covid was a blessing in disguise. I like things clean and tidy so this style of tank hits all the right spots for me.

OP
OP
ReefRondo

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_5777.jpg

OP
OP
ReefRondo

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_5363.JPG

I set this large container up in the office and filled with salt water, a few pumps and a heater to then transfer the entire scape from the reefer in under an hour.
IMG_5368.JPG
IMG_5378.JPG

Redsea replaced the tank under warranty. Took a little longer to arrive than I hoped but within 10 days had the new tank built and everything back in place including all plumbing to remote sump. With the tank and pipework being a newer generation I had some tweaks to do and parts to source.

OP
OP
ReefRondo

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly after a few weeks I started to lose a few corals here and there and just this week the three main large colonies up the top right of the scape all started to STN. I dropped the water level half way and removed them all with a hammer as I'd rather they were gone than watch them over a few weeks slowly waste away.

Last edited:

Genvid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have an amazing tank, considering the work you've done you definitely know what you're doing. scape is just space. It’s a pity that I didn’t see your work before “I would definitely adopt something for my build.

dlaird76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. Sorry to hear about the seam failure. Did they replace it with a G2? Kudos to getting everything moved over so quickly. What do you think caused the STN, just the upheaval of the temp move etc? What are parasitic copepods. I am guessing is as exactly as it sounds, just never heard of them before. Good luck moving forward, I really love you build and professional looking install. It's a great inspiration.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a great looking tank, sorry to hear about all your trouble! How are you getting on now? Everything back up and running?

Where about in Scotland are you based? :)

OP
OP
ReefRondo

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. Sorry to hear about the seam failure. Did they replace it with a G2? Kudos to getting everything moved over so quickly. What do you think caused the STN, just the upheaval of the temp move etc? What are parasitic copepods. I am guessing is as exactly as it sounds, just never heard of them before. Good luck moving forward, I really love you build and professional looking install. It's a great inspiration.
Thank you so much for your kind words. I really appreciate it. Parasitic copepods are what I can only describe as bad! I have a few videos on youtube I caught of them on my microscope if interested. I'll post a link below.
I think the STN was just the change in stability, temperature, dosing of elements etc. I had not planned on waiting so long for the replacement but an admin error at RedSea held it back a bit. If I had known of this delay I would have moved my dosing lines, trident etc over to the temp container to keep things a little more stable. Another thing learned!
Yes G2 tank which was nice although the tank connectors all changed in this gen change so I had to source parts to make my original plumbing match. Another delay.
I have an up to date tank thread on my discord server if you want to take a look.

OP
OP
ReefRondo

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a great looking tank, sorry to hear about all your trouble! How are you getting on now? Everything back up and running?

Where about in Scotland are you based? :)
Hey! I'm the guy that offered you corals the other day! I think you mentioned you are overseas right now. I am down the west coast in Dundonald.
Yes, the tank is now doing a lot better. Few aiptasia and bits of turf algae here and there but the tangs are keeping it nice and short! Feel free to join my discord server as I have a full tank thread over there.

OP
OP
ReefRondo

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have an amazing tank, considering the work you've done you definitely know what you're doing. scape is just space. It’s a pity that I didn’t see your work before “I would definitely adopt something for my build.
Thank you so much!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back