A unique Reefer 300XL build (Remote sump)

OP
OP
ReefRondo

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow didnt know carbon could cause that. Glad to hear things back on the mend. Corals looking great
Yeah really common for tangs to be badly affected by carbon use. Especially cheap carbon which I have to admit was using. I've seen it affect the fish moderately in the past but this was really aggressive.

NotoriousDMC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Update - Corals are all doing really well with plenty of encrusting and growth. The tank seems to be fully settled now and looking forward to seeing how it develops over time. Have more corals to add after they have fully encrusted and I have taken a frag from them to leave in the coral system. I like to have a backup piece of every coral I have. I ran some carbon for a few weeks and noticed both of my tangs getting really bad HLLE so took it back offline and they are already improving. My yellow tang's fins all started disappearing but is starting to recover. Won't be doing that again.
IMG_0764.JPG

IMG_0766.JPG

IMG_0767.JPG
Love this scape. All around looks amazing.

OP
OP
ReefRondo

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefer Feb 2022 2.jpg

Today I think I have added my last coral to my Reefer. Famous last words I know! List of each one below.

1. Montipora Setosa
2. Montipora Blinding Lime
3. Acropora Sarmentosa Cookie Monster
4. Acropora Tricolour
5. Acropora Home Wrecker
6. Acropora The Joker
7. Acropora valida purple (Bali)
8. Acropora Oregon Blue Tort
9. Acropora Electric Miyagi Tort
10. Acropora Yellow Tips
11. Cyphastrea Jingle Bells
12. Acropora Bill Murray
13. Acropora Rosehip
14. Acropora Rainbow Loom
15. Acropora Magenta Stag
16. Acropora Canary Cove
17. Acropora Tenuis Cool Mint
18. Acropora PC Rainbow
19. Acropora Tabling Hundreds & Thousands
20. Acropora Red Devil

Now to watch them grow!

OP
OP
ReefRondo

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey man thanks for checking in I really appreciate it. Having some problems with corals right now actually and it’s driving me nuts! A select few of my acros are very slowly turning white at the base and losing tissue over weeks. I’ve lost 4 or five colonies so far and still more starting to go this week. All of my parameters are exactly where they should be and where I want them and I have had no event that I can think of that has led to this so I have ordered an ICP test which I will be sending away in the next few days. One thing worth noting is that one specific species of Acropora that I had in both my frag system and this Reefer system have all died this way and were the first to go. Then slowly some others went and now more are going. It’s really frustrating! I dipped all of my corals in my frag system and treated the tank for flatworms but found zero evidence of them. I have been dipping them about once a week since this entire thing started with no evidence of pests unless so small I can’t see them even with a reasonably low powered magnifying glass. Only suggestion I have had so far is possibly red bugs but that doesn’t tie in with tissues recession just at the base. I added a couple of peppermint shrimp to both systems not long after this issue started as I had a few aiptasia and wonder if they are making matters worse feeding on the dead or dying tissue…honestly I’m really stressed about it all. How’s your tank going? Bet you wish you hadn’t asked! Before I forget that new Redsea dip is very hit and miss with some species of SPS. Some died within hours of being dipped and others are dying slowly since using it. Not impressed.

dlaird76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aww man. At the very least I hope the ICP test shines a light on something that can be easily rectified. Better that than trying to tackle some kind of pest I think. Give us an update when you get your results.

OP
OP
ReefRondo

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aww man. At the very least I hope the ICP test shines a light on something that can be easily rectified. Better that than trying to tackle some kind of pest I think. Give us an update when you get your results.
Thanks buddy. Honestly I’ve lost sleep I’ve this as things were just going so well. Skipped nearly all of the ugly stages other than a dusting of diatoms for a few weeks but still have to remember this system is only a year old. I’ve possibly rushed things a little bit everything was doing so so well until recently. The fact this problem is happening in both my Reefer and my frag tank is what is making me think pest, water quality from my filter, Salt or something they both share. Same species in both tanks died simultaneously.

dlaird76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Deffo sounds like they are linked. Yes I agree the system is still only starting out but what a great start it has been up until now. By year 2 or 3 this patch will be a distant memory. Presersevance is the key to succes....and stable parameters lol.

OP
OP
ReefRondo

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
ReefRondo

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this week @Lou Ekus has been in touch and is now trying to help me with this mysterious coral issue I am having. What a true gentleman he is! Let's see if we can get to the bottom of this!

OP
OP
ReefRondo

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing build! Really hope you are able to sort out the issue affecting the SPS.
Thanks man really appreciate the kind words. Real shame how things have been with the tank recently but I’m hopeful I can get it back on track. First AWC tonight with Red Sea salt so will see how things progress in the coming days. I do plan to move back to TMPR salt in time.

OP
OP
ReefRondo

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2326.jpg

So the tank has it's first birthday on the 23rd of August and although I have had some problems I am still happy with it. Real shame the amount of corals I have lost to what is still a mystery from both this system and my frag system. New salt seems to be doing really well so far. Only down side from my experince so far is slightly dirtier mixing container but I knew that would be the case before changing. The coral deaths all being on the lower two tiers of my scape would suggest possibly lighting issues but there are a few corals that have survived and a few corals I snapped off the rock have started encrusting and spreading from what little was left.
Only changes to the system from my last update are salt brand, running ozone for a few hours in the evening which really has given my water clarity a boost and dosing magnesium following my conversation with Lou. What a guy he is! Could not have been more helpful and pleasant to deal with.

dlaird76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear things have settled down nicely. Keep the updates coming. I've really enjoyed following this one and belated Happy Birthday

OP
OP
ReefRondo

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear things have settled down nicely. Keep the updates coming. I've really enjoyed following this one and belated Happy Birthday
Thanks for checking in buddy I really appreciate it. Making a few changes to my salt water storage system so will post updates on that soon.

dlaird76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will look forward to it. That's something I really want to do with my next system. Turn a few valves here and their to make my water changes as simple as possible.....no splashes lol. I plan to do the occasional one in the tank to stir up the sand and get that detritus out of it.

OP
OP
ReefRondo

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally got my 800L saltwater tank setup and completed today. Involved floor reinforcement, large holes drilled for passing hoses and cables from room to room to make everything a little easier. I also decided to plumb a drain into it so if I ever need to fully empty it in a hurry or clean down the inside with citric acid I can turn one valve and it's gone. For mixing I threw in 2 Eheim 3400 universal pumps and I have two heaters in there too although will not be heating the tank unless I need to drop a large quantity of water out of one of my tanks and need stable temperature water to replace it with. I find heating it long-term causes my containers to get far dirtier quicker now that I'm using Redsea blue bucket. I may install a third pump at the opposite end to blast up the centre of the tank to aid mixing.
IMG_2507.JPG

IMG_2508.JPG

IMG_2472.JPG
IMG_2487.JPG

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back