A warning around purchasing an Alkatronic 2nd hand

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel that the policy is to prevent stolen item from being used. However let’s think about this. A guy breaks in your house and says, “hey man there’s a piece of equipment hooked up to a fish tank. Looks expensive. I’m going to take an hour to unhook everything and get it out of here. Then I need to find out who to sell it to.“ This may be the dumbest thing. If someone breaks in your house they won’t know what it is. Let alone spend the time to screw around getting it un hooked.

Eric this policy is to protect owners. It seems in this case there should be an exception.

BTW I own all new Neptune stuff for the last 14 months and have not ever even opened the boxes. My tank runs great and I decided I don’t need to spend two days redoing everything.

HeyLookItsCaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel that the policy is to prevent stolen item from being used. However let’s think about this. A guy breaks in your house and says, “hey man there’s a piece of equipment hooked up to a fish tank. Looks expensive. I’m going to take an hour to unhook everything and get it out of here. Then I need to find out who to sell it to.“ This may be the dumbest thing. If someone breaks in your house they won’t know what it is. Let alone spend the time to screw around getting it un hooked.

Eric this policy is to protect owners. It seems in this case there should be an exception.

BTW I own all new Neptune stuff for the last 14 months and have not ever even opened the boxes. My tank runs great and I decided I don’t need to spend two days redoing everything.

I come from the car tuning world as far as hobbies go and when I tried to set up my second hand (third unit) apex and it was “locked” I could feel a rock in my stomach. When you tune vehicles it locks the device to the vin and they WILL NOT unlock it for you unless you pay them a 250-400 dollar unlock code. Not saying that is the right way to go but I was expecting to lose any savings buying second hand in having to purchase one. Luckily the owner helped me out. Unfortunately, at least in the tuning world, they want you to buy new so they get their profit, so that 250-400 is so they can get it again. Such a shame that model is crossing over to our hobby. It’s pure profit cash grab so these businesses never “lose”

OP
OP
Rewd

Rewd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
And if I don't get a resolution here, I'm definitely going to reach out to coralvue and any of their other high value retailers and distributors. The fact that I have to take these steps after providing AMPLE proof, is mind blowing. But I am hoping Winston does the right thing, as he too told me he can unlink these devices.

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I come from the car tuning world as far as hobbies go and when I tried to set up my second hand (third unit) apex and it was “locked” I could feel a rock in my stomach. When you tune vehicles it locks the device to the vin and they WILL NOT unlock it for you unless you pay them a 250-400 dollar unlock code. Not saying that is the right way to go but I was expecting to lose any savings buying second hand in having to purchase one. Luckily the owner helped me out. Unfortunately, at least in the tuning world, they want you to buy new so they get their profit, so that 250-400 is so they can get it again. Such a shame that model is crossing over to our hobby. It’s pure profit cash grab so these businesses never “lose”
Fish tanks don't have VIN's and that's a different license model. The license here goes with the machine, not the tank.

HeyLookItsCaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish tanks don't have VIN's and that's a different license model. The license here goes with the machine, not the tank.

Oh I know that, but my point is how they extract money from any “locking” model. You must pay to get it unlocked.

And clearly it goes with the person, not the machine, in this model.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Winston is his #1 hinchman - no surprise he locked it.

Is FT a sponsor here? Might help to get r2r involved if they are. It's terrible they won't unlock the device for you. You could also try reaching out to coralvue - they are the only distributor for FT items in the US. If they feel like a customer is not being treated properly they might not continue business with Eric.
Coralvue as you said is probably the best recourse in this matter. They will have the most pull in this as they are thr sole distributer in the NA market.

@Rewd I am sorry you are going through all this and I hope it gets resloved. But thank you for posting, I was about to purchase a MasterTronic when it became available. But seeing this has me seriously rethinking that. MasterTronic here is $1700 Canadian and for that price would expect a more helpful and understanding customer service department.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Rewd

Rewd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Don't worry, I love me some subies as well. I sold my Evo last year and now I'd love an STI now. ;Spitoutdummy:p

OP
OP
Rewd

Rewd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks @JoshH. I am technically in the same boat... was all set to purchase a Mastertronic and Dosetronic when the Mastetronic became available again. After this incident....

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact paypal / creditcard and see if it is too late to do anything for sure. Tell them the old owner used his account to lock you out of the device. Maybe paypal will have better luck reaching him.

OP
OP
Rewd

Rewd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I could try contacting them but i want to be clear, I don't believe the old owner did anything malicious. He just didn't unlink it from his account because he may not have known to do that.

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could try contacting them but i want to be clear, I don't believe the old owner did anything malicious. He just didn't unlink it from his account because he may not have known to do that.
Agreed but if you can't reach him a charge back may get his attention so it can be resolved. This is also why I always check everything I buy even new even if I don't intend to use it for months.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's insane. I really want to copy and paste the responses here from "Eric Tang" at Focustronic. It's astonishing how unhelpful this company is with their products.
76E03799-CE7C-43F0-8562-2B1F6DC48620.gif

Rillo Boy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL @Focustronic_Eric isnt responding to my emails now and he had the moderator on the Focustronic Users Group close my post asking for help or a workaround. This company is an absolute joke. PROSPECTIVE BUYERS BEWARE.
I can assure you that closing the post was my decision and not Eric’s .. I won’t go into *** for tat … but it’s difficult to unlink the unit without getting the owners permission …
I did tell you via PM that I would look into this for you ..

Rillo Boy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You are 100% correct … we have no idea what is the history of this unit …. What if it’s unlinked and then the someone who have got the original receipt produces it and says it IS his ?
what would we then do as we have released this to someone else .
We have got to take the necessary steps to safeguard both ourselves and the customers ..

Rillo Boy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And if I don't get a resolution here, I'm definitely going to reach out to coralvue and any of their other high value retailers and distributors. The fact that I have to take these steps after providing AMPLE proof, is mind blowing. But I am hoping Winston does the right thing, as he too told me he can unlink these devices.
Yes … I will try and do my best to resolve this situation.. the reason I asked for the seller eMail address was to contact him …
I have now contacted him via eMail and I will make a decision in your favour if he does not reply within a week … so please give us some time to sort this out for both yourself and Focustronic

Rillo Boy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes … I will try and do my best to resolve this situation.. the reason I asked for the seller eMail address was to contact him …
I have now contacted him via eMail and I will make a decision in your favour if he does not reply within a week … so please give us some time to sort this out for both yourself and Focustronic
And no .. I am not a new member .. it is the first time I have ever posted anything on here ..
David Hammontree can also vouch for me as I have met him personally a few times when I am on your side of the pond

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back