OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, for anyone interested in following along on other matters, I finally started a tank thread in the Members Tanks forum. :) Someplace for me to post some of the less-relevant stuff in the future.

-Matt

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water change #67!

..and I'm out of salt again. This is working out very well! :) :)

-Matt

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still streaking. 15/15 in 2014.

As a side note I'm really liking Aquavitro Salinity; I just set it up to mix before I leave for work as it takes a tad longer than Red Sea to mix.

candcreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along....I have read this thread since the beginning....I just set up a 150 and have done 5 gallon water changes daily for 3 months since my system has been up and running...surprisingly enough I didn't go through one diatom stage with this tank....now I know I am fully cycled and ready for livestock because of testing...but I can't believe I never saw diatoms...I love this method and will continue daily water changes for the life of the system...good job Matt and thanks for this thread...

Conan

bitumenman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along....I have read this thread since the beginning....I just set up a 150 and have done 5 gallon water changes daily for 3 months since my system has been up and running...surprisingly enough I didn't go through one diatom stage with this tank....now I know I am fully cycled and ready for livestock because of testing...but I can't believe I never saw diatoms...I love this method and will continue daily water changes for the life of the system...good job Matt and thanks for this thread...

Conan

This is a great idea for my 180 build. I have been trying to come up with a auto water change, and this is feasible 5g at a time. :)

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a great idea for my 180 build. I have been trying to come up with a auto water change, and this is feasible 5g at a time. :)

I'd try it to see if you still get a bump from it, but that's only a 2.5% water change...about "10 gallons a week". You may have to figure out an easy way to get 10 gallons/day done so you're at least up to 5% where I am - or just save up for a pump-based auto-change system. There was a link or two posted recently in this thread about that, btw. Some good options out there - new as well as used!

-Matt

bitumenman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd try it to see if you still get a bump from it, but that's only a 2.5% water change...about "10 gallons a week". You may have to figure out an easy way to get 10 gallons/day done so you're at least up to 5% where I am - or just save up for a pump-based auto-change system. There was a link or two posted recently in this thread about that, btw. Some good options out there - new as well as used!

-Matt

Makes sense, making it automated is my goal. I'm thinking load salt with a scale or something

TimSc2013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. 93 finished! Getting closer to the milestone marker of 500g changed since October 5th. I have halted the use of both carbon and GFO since December and am now only running my skimmer once a week. Nutrient levels staying consistently low even though I have significantly increased feeding of the coral and fish. Also, water parameters remaining constant with the only additive being kalk in my ATO.

bitumenman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. 93 finished! Getting closer to the milestone marker of 500g changed since October 5th. I have halted the use of both carbon and GFO since December and am now only running my skimmer once a week. Nutrient levels staying consistently low even though I have significantly increased feeding of the coral and fish. Also, water parameters remaining constant with the only additive being kalk in my ATO.

Are you planning to have an algae bloom???

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water change #73!

Getting some nice winter snow around here for a change! :smow:

:whoo:

-Matt

Small triggers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice snow? you must be south of me...up here near DC people are freaking out and can't drive,lol
Loving the automated water change idea....

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the streak ended for me last night due to vehicle issues. It was 71 straight days.

Started a new streak today.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back