OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice snow? you must be south of me...up here near DC people are freaking out and can't drive,lol
Loving the automated water change idea....

Same area....I'm just not from around here. Only a point in time, but I moved here from Montana where I walked to work every day. ;)

Well, the streak ended for me last night[....] Started a new streak today.

May as well cut yourself some slack and allow a day or two per week to be off. You don't need to use it, but then you have a realistic target for when life happens. :)

Snow... I'm four feet deep up here in northern Alberta

Is that light or heavy for up there?

FWIW, I was watching the weather map and I KNOW you are the ones who sent this weather our way! ;)

-Matt

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May as well cut yourself some slack and allow a day or two per week to be off. You don't need to use it, but then you have a realistic target for when life happens. :)

I was considering going to every other day changes anyways.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same area....I'm just not from around here. Only a point in time, but I moved here from Montana where I walked to work every day. ;)

-Matt
Wow, we switched places! I went from Virginia to Montana. From Vienna, Virginia to Libby, Montana. What towns did you go from/to?

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water change #75!

My "plating" M. digitata has thrown up about a zillion branches in the last week*.....probably due to the new flow arrangement, but made possible by excellent growing conditions! :) Will try to post some pics later.

-Matt

* It's always grown and looked great, just in an odd plate-form vs the "fingery branches" that is considered normal.

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes #76 and #77!

Both posted belatedly again...still may get to one today.

-Matt

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water change #78!

Never did get back to it after last post. Instead, my ATO pump broke down - seems like a new impeller is needed. Diagnosing that and implementing a workaround has taken about all of my tank time since then.

-Matt

greg0385

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joining in on the daily W/C, although mine is automated 2gallons a day in a 200gallon system. I got to get more salt before i increase the W/C amount per day.

Day 1 complete

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water change #75!

My "plating" M. digitata has thrown up about a zillion branches in the last week*.....probably due to the new flow arrangement, but made possible by excellent growing conditions! :) Will try to post some pics later.

-Matt

* It's always grown and looked great, just in an odd plate-form vs the "fingery branches" that is considered normal.

Got pics?

greg0385

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put then on a 10min timer on the apex and using a metric measuring cup, ran this test many times. One pumps at 60ml/min and the other is 62.5ml/min. Apex timer is set for 5min,15sec for the 60ml/min and 5min,2sec for the 62.5ml/min.

Its off by 10ml per day which the ATO replinishs. Thats only 300ml off per month in a 200gallon system. which i plan on watching the salinity 2x a week.

Its not perfect but will do just fine for the price.

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read several of these posts now. I like this idea a lot but I have a question. How do you temp match the water on a daily basis? I have a 55gl so I would have to do 3gl a day. What would be the best way to temp match my water?

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless your makeup water has an extreme temperature from being outside, I wouldn't recommend changing the temperature during mixing. Change the temp. before mixing if you have to change it, then remove the heater.

Except in what should be unusual circumstances (like outside water storage) there is no value to temperature matching your water change water.

FWIW, I have literally never done it, and would say if there's any effect of room temp (70°F) water change water on the reef, I'd say it's a slightly invigorating one. I've done water changes up to 30% this way. :)

-Matt

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got pics?

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1390964648.795319.jpg

This is the left-front edge of the coral in case you are comparing older photos. Right over the Barnacle Blennies' spot if you're comparing to their vid in my Members Tanks thread. :)

-Matt

bitumenman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Is that light or heavy for up there?

FWIW, I was watching the weather map and I KNOW you are the ones who sent this weather our way! ;)

-Matt

Yup you have my blessings. Lol

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back