A Water Change A Day...

buddythelion

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My friend does this with great results. Mostly SPS in a 22 gallon and his growth rate is amazing.

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water change #18!

Still didn't get a chance to test or cut the new hose. At least the water is getting changed! LOL.

-Matt

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt, you've motivated me, for some reason ever since I read this thread 2 weeks ago I have doing water changes every day to every other day. Small tank 30 gallons, so 1-2 gallons a day with Reef Crystal. I have also been deep ditritus cleaning. Tank is sps dominated and I have cut out the dosing of 2 parts since I began the water changes. I have to test as well but it all looks good and best of all it feels good.

My tank thanks you.

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water change #19!

Missed out posting that from last night...still working on one today!

-Matt

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt, you've motivated me, for some reason ever since I read this thread 2 weeks ago I have doing water changes every day to every other day. Small tank 30 gallons, so 1-2 gallons a day with Reef Crystal. I have also been deep ditritus cleaning. Tank is sps dominated and I have cut out the dosing of 2 parts since I began the water changes. I have to test as well but it all looks good and best of all it feels good.

My tank thanks you.

Awesome! That's great to hear! Keep us posted! :)

I'm hoping to post some numbers soon....we'll see.

-Matt

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang....no water change today because I used the last of the water for #20 and didn't start the RODI system up until 20 minutes ago. LOL

Tomorrow's another day!

-Matt

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang....no water change today because I used the last of the water for #20 and didn't start the RODI system up until 20 minutes ago. LOL

Tomorrow's another day!

-Matt

Don't feel bad, I missed mine as well. Had been doing one daily (and sometimes twice) since the 5th.

Reefer831

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did this years ago when I had a high bio load and I had a ton of success….I've always been a huge fan of doing things in moderation and always thought that doing smaller water changes compared to big water changes meant less wings in the tank... The only downside to this is once you start doing them daily you have to continue doing them daily and once you stop or slow down you will definitely see your tank affected by it... It's kind of the same theory with the people that don't do water changes for months at a time because their tank is already adjusted to it... I have one question for you though… How come you don't just make them all your water in a 50 gallon brut garbage can at one time... It also seems like it would be a big pain in the *** to mix it up every day and it might be less consistent compared to 50 gallons being mixed up at one time...

teddy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok i have gave this a try.. first i love it with 5 tanks i can do small changes every other day in under 30 min vs all day job doing big ones. second, EVERY coral of mine has done a massive upturn, opening bigger, brighter and fuller. i am extremely happy, i have not dosed anything since I started besides some phosphate reducer due to other reasons.. (i was over feeding my predators who were fed feeders daily n frozen every cple of days not doing this now). also had a problem with skimmer vs evap that i have fixed.. all of my fish seem more active and happy as well.

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't feel bad, I missed mine as well. Had been doing one daily (and sometimes twice) since the 5th.

Gotta keep on keepin' on! May not get time until Monday at this rate. All good as I'm still way ahead of what I had been doing. Will chime in if I get another chance tonight.

[....]I have one question for you though… How come you don't just make them all your water in a 50 gallon brut garbage can at one time... It also seems like it would be a big pain in the *** to mix it up every day and it might be less consistent compared to 50 gallons being mixed up at one time...

Vitamins go bad within days (best = freshest) and the mixing only takes a matter of a few minutes at most...not really the hard or time-consuming part of it. Also, I don't want to have another vat hanging around taking up space just so I can have saltwater and RODI both on hand all the time.

I've got measuring and mixing down to what feels like clockwork. (If I can get a helper one of these times, I'm gonna make a video of the whole process.:)) If I can remember to pick up an extra scale to keep in the mixing area I think that will make it even faster and more consistent.

Now if I could get someone to carry the bucket from/to the wet area for me, that would be a big improvement! ;-)

-Matt

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got back on the horse today. Another five gallon water change complete.

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water change #21!

Didn't get to log this from last night. Trying to get one in today as well to get back into my rhythm! :)

BTW, I did finally get my 3/4" hose cut. As expected, it makes a huge difference. As long as I don't need to do any detritus removal, this will most likely be my tool of choice from now on.

-Matt

lakeviewink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been doing 5g changes on my ~240g system for a few months now mainly for stability. I'm of the mind that it is the way to go if you can do it. The only difference I can see from what you are doing is that I mix up my new batch as soon as I do the w/c so it has a good 24 hrs to stabilize before I put it in the tank. I never thought of starting a thread about it on here, so good thinking! I'm glad there are more people using this approach.

Reef Fever

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i too missed a day because i forgot to make more water but other than that im still doin 5 gallons a day on my 104

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water change #22!

Still semi-early so I'm hoping (again) to test tonight. Starting to get curious about the numbers myself. ;)

-Matt

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 50 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back