OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Measure water of a known specific gravity (Preferably your tank's) and mark the hydrometer accordingly.

A buddy or LFS with a refractometer can measure any sample or they sell so-called reference standard solutions and you can get one for 35 ppm salinity.

You use one fluid or the other to calibrate your swing arm.

Hope this helps!

-Matt

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water change #10!

I can't remember running my 44-gallon brute can dry this fast.

LOL

Now to make more!

-Matt

P.S. There were exactly five gallons left! ;)

Last edited:

Connie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you tell a significant difference yet? I bet you have PE all over the place!

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never really had issues w/polyp extension, so no difference to notice there.

If I were testing, I'd probably have some parameter improvements to reports...

I manually removed a few little patches of algae and cyano, so I guess I would like to see those not return. :) I also blasted out detritus from my rocks - probably a few more rounds of that, maybe followed by some siphoning to get the last bits off the bare bottom.

Other than that, things are visually about as they were.

-Matt

Reef Fever

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i may do 2-3 gallons a day, which is equal to the 10 gallons a week i do now, might help keep things more stable. system is 104gal

FaviaFreak

Weir Everywhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do this on my acro system at work, I do a 5% WC daily to maintain alk since I don't dose or use a reactor

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't be expecting dramatic changes in a reef tank unless something was wrong. Nothing was really wrong, and it's only been 10 days! ;)

Remember: "Nothing good happens fast in a reef tank."

I'm looking at this as a marathon, not the sprint a traditional water change regime would be.

Had to take a break yesterday, for example, but the pace I set for myself is 5 changes per week. I'd still be ahead of the pack..if there were a pack. LOL.

Will be back on-schedule today. :) :)

-Matt

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i may do 2-3 gallons a day, which is equal to the 10 gallons a week i do now, might help keep things more stable. system is 104gal

May as well "splurge" for a whole 5 gallon bucket unless that's totally overkill for the stage your system is in. :) (And remember that 10 gallons broken out this way is more equivalent to probably 7-8 gallons done all at once.)

Post back here and let me know how you like it at first. Took me a few tries to get a smooth and quick system worked out.

-Matt

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water change #12!

Biggest change so far is that I'm starting to get a little more inspired about the future of this tank. Don't hold me to it, but I think it may be time to tear down all my big colonies (skeletons and all) and re-seed. Okay, it's way past time..but for some reason I hate to do it!

More to come...

-Matt

Reef Fever

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May as well "splurge" for a whole 5 gallon bucket unless that's totally overkill for the stage your system is in. :) (And remember that 10 gallons broken out this way is more equivalent to probably 7-8 gallons done all at once.)

Post back here and let me know how you like it at first. Took me a few tries to get a smooth and quick system worked out.

-Matt
when i get my new RO unit i will probably do 5 a day, right now im getting water from the store so its a bit of a pain to make constant trips lol

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when i get my new RO unit i will probably do 5 a day, right now im getting water from the store so its a bit of a pain to make constant trips lol

That is a pain...totally understand!

Obvious answer is to get more buckets, but maybe hard to justify if you just wanna try this out and you have near-term plans for homemade water.

Still post back here and lemme know when you start with your 2-3 gallons! The upside is that 2-3 will be super quick and super easy to pull off. :)

-Matt

Last edited:

Reef Fever

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a pain...totally understand!

Obvious answer is to get more buckets, but maybe hard to justify if you just wanna try this out and you have near-term plans for homemade water.

Still post back here and lemme know when you start with your 2-3 gallons! The upside is that 2-3 will be super quick and super easy to pull off. :)

-Matt

Will do!

And most definitely, should be able to do it without having to turn any pumps or powerheads off!

-Jeremy

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Following!

ReefPiracy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really think this will help trace elements by dosing daily. I find my mag starts to drop and trace elements go bye bye by the time I get to my water change. Which only happens when I have time. Nothing that crashes the system but longer term growth/calcification may be better.

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used this method when I first started in the reefing hobby, I was doing anywhere between 5-7 water changes a day. This was on a smaller zoa dominated 29 gallon, no sump set up and had what I thought (at the time) was good growth.

After seeing this thread I decided to try it on my new set up (one year old) that is 110 gallons and is SPS dominated. I started last Saturday (10-5) and did two five gallon water changes on that first Saturday (10-5) and that Sunday (10-6) and have done a single five gallon water change a day since. I had been doing two five gallon water changes a week since this tank was set up. I also run bio pellets, an algae scrubber and use a SRO skimmer.

I will report back to this thread with any results and findings I find/have.

Last edited:

Deinonych

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know. It'll be in my next set of purchases. Any you recommend?

I use the Milwaukee digital refractometer. Definitely more pricey than the prism refractometers, but it's extremely accurate and foolproof. I had a Marine Depot one before this one. It worked pretty well, but after a year or so it wouldn't calibrate properly. Maybe I just had a defective one.

K_red_raider

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually do a 15 gallon change on my 120 SPS dominate tank weekly but have been thinking about building a water box out of acrylic with two big chambers and doing a 2 gallon change every day or just continuos slow change with using a dosing pump to see if that would make the water more stable before and after changes.

I will be watching this thread to see your results.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 19 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back