OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 150 gallons a day would be about 5%.

Well 150 gallons establishes a pretty firm lower limit for how "quick and easy" it can be. :wink: Probably using some continuous water change system would probably be the only "better" way in terms of your time, but I'm guessing and "better" is relative.

How exactly do you currently manage your water changes on a system that large? (~3000 gallons?)

I'd imagine you're not manually moving any water....hopefully! :) Dunno if it's something that could be photographed, but a description of the water change system you use would be cool to hear.

Thanks!

-Matt

jcdeng

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is a great idea. with daily waterchanges I think your parameters will be super stable even without dosing anything and if you are siphoning the sand bed while u r at it you can get rid of uneaten stuff and fish poo too. I think if you keep on with it pretty soon u will realize your skimmer isn't skimming anything, just acting as an air pump.

eliramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im starting tomorrow and im going to check parameters daily and take notes on it too I think of everyone on this thread did it we could document the effects on different sized systems and see how efficient it really is especially on the larger set ups

Connie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try it on my 180, but it would be challenging. My RO/DI isn't connected directly. I have to put it in buckets small enough to carry; then I have to carry it out to the road to pour it out. I'm on a septic tank and can't just pour it down the drain.

Coraloliseffect

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neat idea following.

Side note.
Connie. See your in al. Am on septic too so nothing down the drain. But so as not to waste any thing I Have st Augustine which is salt tolerant. So use water change water to kill some of the weeds.

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try it on my 180, but it would be challenging. My RO/DI isn't connected directly. I have to put it in buckets small enough to carry; then I have to carry it out to the road to pour it out. I'm on a septic tank and can't just pour it down the drain.

Well 10 gallons would get you to around 5%...that would be two trips to the curb. Work. Lol.

Why not stick to one bucket (2-3%) for the ease and see how it goes? Check out that link I posted for eliramos too. 2-3% would be worth it IMO. :)

-Matt

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day and water change #4

My excellent "Water Change A Day" setup:
ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1380913933.470683.jpg

I start the pump, add 20 oz. of salt, then drain five gallons from the display tank into another bucket.

Salt mix is done by then, so I dump all five gallons of new water in my sump.

Done!

JVI90gREEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're diligence is going to pay huge dividends and you're going to notice a significant difference in the health of your reef! About 2 months ago I started changing 5gal every other day instead of 15gal every Saturday on my 90gal. I've noticed a ton of coral growth (my tank is all Z/P's). I have new polyps budding weekly! So much so, that I haven't fed my corals with Fuel, Rods, and Reef Roids in over a month! Just to see how much my corals would take to replenishing trace elements every other day. I'll take the $ I'm not spending on coral food and put it toward a new bucket of Red Sea Coral Pro.

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day and water change #5

:)

Speed of measurement is my #1 favorite feature of my refractometer.

Is anyone out there using an uncalibrated swing-arm hydrometer? Just curious.

-Matt

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water change #6.

Been thinking I might do a morning and night water change if I can scrounge another free 10 min. Maybe tomorrow! :)

-Matt

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day and water change #5

:)

Speed of measurement is my #1 favorite feature of my refractometer.

Is anyone out there using an uncalibrated swing-arm hydrometer? Just curious.

-Matt

You have to calibrate those?! I'm in trouble....
I've been using the instant ocean swing-arm as it comes out of the box. Need to save up for a proper refractometer.

Last edited:

Connie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What salt are you using Matt?

Eienna - get you a refractometer when you can. One of the best investments you can make.

larangcon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great idea...not sure if I can do it every day, but I will try to do every other or 3rd day. It will sure make water changing alot easier, I know there are times when I skipped water changing due to how much time it comsumed and basically too much work.

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to calibrate those?! I'm in trouble....
I've been using the instant ocean swing-arm as it comes out of the box. Need to save up for a proper refractometer.

Get someone with a refractometer to calibrate it for you. Your LFS would probably do it.

Once calibrated, accuracy isn't too bad...if you have the patience to get a good reading.

What salt are you using Matt?

Eienna - get you a refractometer when you can. One of the best investments you can make.

Reef Crystals for about 5 years I think.

FWIW, I've heard the refractometers they sell us are really made for beer/wine making. Just in case you have trouble finding one at a LFS...you may have a beer or wine making store around.

I wouldn't pay much more than $60 (though if you look you will find some for a lot more than that)...the ones that are a lot cheaper than that seem to be really cheaply made by comparison, weighing almost nothing. Since it'll be used in saltwater, I'd suggest springing for around $50-$60 in hopes of getting better materials that will corrode more slowly. Also, keeping it clean and not letting saltwater dry on it after use will help a lot.

Great idea...not sure if I can do it every day, but I will try to do every other or 3rd day. It will sure make water changing alot easier, I know there are times when I skipped water changing due to how much time it comsumed and basically too much work.

Definitely post back! :)

-Matt

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 15.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 64 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.1%
Back