A Water Change A Day...

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will, thanks.
It gives me pretty consistent readings as long as I make sure there aren't any bubbles stuck to the arm.

turbo21

Fenchies and Fish Oh My
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The gorgeous 75g sps display at aquaworld psc gets 5 gal daily water changes....

The tank was gorgeous. Til a seem let loose a few months ago. And he lost almost everything in it

Bob

ccajigas07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea im good with my once a month water change

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4

blue.flyzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to calibrate those?! I'm in trouble....
I've been using the instant ocean swing-arm as it comes out of the box. Need to save up for a proper refractometer.

I bought my refractometer from Marine Depot also, when it reads 1.025 my old IO swing arm will read 1.026

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water change #7.

Using Reef Crystals to answer the question. :)

After doing some inspecting I think I'm gonna have to work a round of siphoning in to remove detritus from my 50 gallon. Been a while so makes sense.

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water change #8.

I'm gonna start weighing my salt to see if that seems easier or more accurate/consistent.

-Matt

philr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 90g tank with a 15g sump. I change 3g every 3 days. I have been doing this for a few months. While i am still in the experimental phase it is easier than a large change. I am currently looking to increase the sump capacity, and to increase water changes to 5g every 3 days. Gotta love to experiment.

Sugo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water change #8.

I'm gonna start weighing my salt to see if that seems easier or more accurate/consistent.

-Matt

Matt, in response to your morning and night changes, can you see your self doing this as a permanent process?

I worry that these daily water changes may change the character of the tank and once (for any reason) we revert to our original routine - it will have a negative impact.

I believe this is a great practice only if it can be maintained long term.

I change 5 gal every 3 days and it helps maintain happy corals and fish.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I haven't managed to pull off a morning and a night water change in the same day yet so the jury will remain out on that topic. :)

Water changes are not like dosing as you can only get to 100% of any level (and in practice, not really even that), so no I don't think there will be any unusual side-effects to slacking off - just the usual ones! LOL

I think you have to look at the long term as an average, or every missed water change is a failure. (No point in that.) So, on a 7 day week, I'm only shooting for 5 water changes. Not very consistent, except as an average over the long term, right? At the same time, I have two "extra" days in the week where I can do bonus water changes, or that I can use to make up for "skip days" during the week. Also not very consistent, except over the long term.

I'm just hoping one-a-day continues working out.....I was basically doing no water changes before.

-Matt

Sugo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good point, water changes can't go past 100% I've always been paranoid to dose but constant water changes should ensure everything is in line.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

Velodog2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't noticed that anyone has mentioned that doing three 5 gallon changes is NOT equivalent to doing a single 15 gallon change. You all understand that right? If you had a ten gallon tank and did a single ten gallon change you would have changed 100% of the original water. If you did 10 one gallon changes what percentage of the original water would be left? I believe the answer is 35% or 3.5 gallons. My engineering may be a little rusty but you get the point that you could theoretically do small water changes forever and never achieve a 100% turnover.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pls check out the link in post #15.

(R2R app doesn't seem to allow me to link to the post.)

-Matt

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
;) It's a good point!!

The main thing for me is that it's way more than I was doing before.

-Matt

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to calibrate those?! I'm in trouble....
I've been using the instant ocean swing-arm as it comes out of the box. Need to save up for a proper refractometer.

Hahaha! Calibrate? How do you calibrate that thing??

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 31 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back