Alpha Aquaculture

Alpha Aquaculture

Designer Clownfish Hatchery
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so sorry to hear about the last acan... :(

but man, you've been collecting some nice stuff... looking forward to seeing some progress shots of the collection... :)

That one that fell off its skeleton was a wierd occurance, I wish I knew why. You know I gots a nice RSC Rainbow mini colony I haven't shown off yet :xd: I'll do more before and afters soon :cool:

I have some acans that are doing that right now but it was because they fell behind a rock and I am guessing it was because of no light. It was there maybe 2 weeks or so and it still survived. I dont have any as awesome as yours but my passion for them is growing more everyday.

Are they falling off their skeletons like the bottom polyp or just stressed like the top two. I don't think there would be any chance for survival when they detach from their skeleton. Thanks for the compliment, my passion is growing everday along with my colonies :)

Very nice shots, Kris.

The "Rainbow Magic Acan" looks amazing under your LED

Let me know for the trade...

Pierre

I appreciate that. I got a sweet camera and it does all the work for me, lol. I'll let you know when I'm ready... let me know when your ready to trade some of those secret pieces I know you've got :wink:

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That one that fell off its skeleton was a wierd occurance, I wish I knew why. You know I gots a nice RSC Rainbow mini colony I haven't shown off yet :xd: I'll do more before and afters soon :cool:
LoLz... nice... :)

looking forward to seeing this RSC Rainbow one... :wink:

johnanddawn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the diagrams of your raceways
new question; what have you discovered about the quanity/distance between your baffels and the effect on flow?
stream dynamics would suggest that the outside of the curve (cutbank in a river) would have the greatest flow and eddies as the mass of the water is redirected and the inside curves would be near calm (pointbar in a river)
do you think more or less direction changes (baffels) are better?
i know you said you added some flow because your return wasn't enough so how much flow do you have going through the raceway from your return alone?

OP
OP
Alpha Aquaculture

Alpha Aquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the diagrams of your raceways
new question; what have you discovered about the quanity/distance between your baffels and the effect on flow?
stream dynamics would suggest that the outside of the curve (cutbank in a river) would have the greatest flow and eddies as the mass of the water is redirected and the inside curves would be near calm (pointbar in a river)
do you think more or less direction changes (baffels) are better?
i know you said you added some flow because your return wasn't enough so how much flow do you have going through the raceway from your return alone?

I decided to use 8" between my baffles because that was a workable distance imo, more and the flow would be reduced, less and I couldn't fit my hands and larger pieces in there. As for flow dynamics, it seems the water would rather go in a straight line but it is broken up by the walls. It uses the closest path to a straight line as shown below. Opposite of what you said although I wonder if I had much higher flow it would follow your words?? I can picture a meandering stream with crazy s bends.

I am using two 780 gph Quiet Ones for redundancy, they pump water 5 feet straight up and then three 90 degree elbows to my spray bars for the ats. I never figured the exact head pressure but I'm guessing both pumps pump something like 1300 gph. I initially wanted to use two 1500 gph's but that overflows my system, lol. Next time for sure I'm going BIG.

4-13-2010037-3.gif

That was hard to do without a mouse, lol, X's are examples of areas of lower flow

OP
OP
Alpha Aquaculture

Alpha Aquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you think more or less direction changes (baffels) are better?QUOTE]

I am constantly thinking of new ways to position the baffles for better flow. At the same time, I am trying to stick to a few basic principles. Ability to look through the front pane, workable space between baffles, shallow tanks, ease of manufacture and simplicity. I am also now thinking of the best positions for propeller style pumps. Normally I have the main gravity pumps for water flow but when I feed certain foods I turn them off and run the prop pumps so the food gets circulated among the corals and not the live rock and filtration. Other types of food I turn all the pumps off.

I am really interested in what you or anyone here on R2R can say about my raceways... I look forward to constructive criticisms and comments.

There is very little information out there about raceways in general and none about my style of raceway. I have challenged myself to pioneer this style of reefkeeping and flow dynamics. I hope my mistakes can help others who are interested in trying raceways.

Thank you everyone for your help! :xd:

Kris

twinspots_goby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much! Not one fish in any of my 6 saltwater tanks (the multi-gradient counts as one tank) :) Makes feeding realistic... but I'm constantly dreaming of a fowlr.

This one is for Frank, thanks! Its coming along nicely :wink:

4-2-2010006-1.jpg

Just noticed your post. Very nice shot. It looks nicer in your tank. :wink:

roshi719

Official fish poo remover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Morgan! I have bad news tho:sad::cry::eek:oh:

4-13-2010021-1.jpg

I have never seen anything like this before. After only a few days of health it went downhill and stopped expanding regularly. It only ate once or twice. I moved it to a bit higher flow thinking that might be it and then this happened within a day. It was alive for two to three weeks before it died. It was always amongst other acans that were doing very well. I have no idea why it happened. What do you think? I have had acans die but never like this before. I didn't see any white bacterial infection or any signs except for the lack of expansion. I actually thought it was going to come back but then this happened. I have only seen this happen to yumas
That is really weird Kris. I have never seen anything like that happen before. Let me know how the rest of it does for you though. I will hook you up if it doesn't pull through.

OP
OP
Alpha Aquaculture

Alpha Aquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is really weird Kris. I have never seen anything like that happen before. Let me know how the rest of it does for you though. I will hook you up if it doesn't pull through.

I lost the entire piece. It seems like a bacterial disease attacked it but not in the usual way bacterial diseases attack acans. Usually the polyps stop extending at all and then a white bacterial film develops over them. This piece looked stressed but I did not see any bacterial film. The bacteria probably attacked from the mouth inside and then ate away at it from the inside. The polyps remained slightly inflated until I moved it and the face fell off. Hasn't happened to any other pieces.

I appreciate your generosity but please know that I am not blaming you at all. It arrived healthy when I got it. You did a great job with fragging and shipping. Maybe in the future I can try another frag when I have some different conditions for it.

You keep them under mh right, would you consider the light your giving them intense? Got any par readings? It was at 130. Do you target feed at all?

roshi719

Official fish poo remover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is actually under T5. Prolly between 90 and 100 par. I target feed about twice a month.

I-K@ndY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^ thats what happens to my Acan collection :(...

OP
OP
Alpha Aquaculture

Alpha Aquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is actually under T5. Prolly between 90 and 100 par. I target feed about twice a month.

Huh, nearly the same. Gotta be a bacterial infection... just wierd that it happened from the inside out.

^^ thats what happens to my Acan collection :(...

Just when I thought that I couldn't get any info outta you about what happened to your acans... glad you have joined in the discussion. The question is why would the infection attack from the inside and not the outside? Curious, what type of food stuffs do you feed with?

Also, I am sooooo ****** right now. I just typed up this long thing about this new acan predator and then hit some button accidentally and deleted it all. I have to start all over again :cry:

Here is a teaser of this little DEViL!

4-16-2010005-1.jpg

Watch your fingers!!!

jam3s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
I see the FT Acan you got from me in this thread. Pretty sweet looking under actinics!

1smile1

OP
OP
Alpha Aquaculture

Alpha Aquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see the FT Acan you got from me in this thread. Pretty sweet looking under actinics!

1smile1

Actually I have not posted a picture of it yet. It does look very nice and is starting to settle in but its far from photogenic... there was some dictyota brown algae on the plug and around the base of the frag. I scraped off as much as possible initially. I have dictyota in another tank I have which is totally cool because its my algae tank and I keep all algaes in there but I know that it can become very problematic. A lfs around here also had it and their tank and it became a big problem for them. Dictyota spreads through asexual and sexual reproduction. I decided to super glue the heck out of it. I glued the plug all the way around and all around the acan, even almost a lil over the edge of some of the smaller polyps on the outside. I just do not want this algae to spread. So anyway the acan got stressed from all that and needs some time before it will start to grow fast. It has been eating and looks good. I'm not mad or anything, this stuff happens. Have you had issues with dictyota in your tank?

This one is called the *******

3-29-2010026-1.jpg

jam3s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
Is that what the algae is called? Hmm interesting. Yes I do have some of that stuff growing on my frag rack, and I think the frag rack itself is attracting a lot of algae growth. I didn't think it was bad though. I'll have to go home and check out the frag rack and maybe boil it to get rid of the algae. Good to know that these algae grow like weeds. :D

Post a pic when you can. I'd like to see how they look under your lighting. Although some of your posts so far look really close to the FT in terms of color.

OP
OP
Alpha Aquaculture

Alpha Aquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dictyota can be irridescent colored and appealing but is not good to have with corals. The variety I have in my algae tank is gold/yellow. Do you have fish in your system that nip at it and keep it in check? I don't have any fish so nothing to graze on it. I have a keen eye for problematic algae now after making many mistakes in the past. The only real solution is to kill it right away... even then sometimes you won't see it so I always keep an eye out for it. I'd be careful if I were you and maybe try and let people know they might be getting it with their frags so it doesn't become a problem for them. Beautiful acan again, I am very happy with it. I just inspected it, no dictyota and its doing fine, all is ok 1smile1

1-18-2010004-1.gif

OP
OP
Alpha Aquaculture

Alpha Aquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4-19-2010007-1.jpg

I've had this one for around 5 months now and I just noticed that it has a gold/yellow background instead of the usual black or grey

4-19-2010001-1.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back