0   0   0
5-26-2010018-1.jpg

soccerbag

Chalices did this to me!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I really love my t5's for my acans. I'm thinking about giving them more light by moving the fixture closer to the water but I haven't committed yet.

Just be careful with the light Kris. There is a fine line between an acceptable amount of light and an unacceptable amount with some acans. You have so many great colors...I just don't want to see them color down due to too much light. But who knows, it may work...lol Looking good!

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I really love my t5's for my acans. I'm thinking about giving them more light by moving the fixture closer to the water but I haven't committed yet.
hey bro... I wouldn't recommend that... these Rainbow Aussie lords love the low blue spectrum lighting... it's your call at the end though so good luck with whatever you decide to do... it'll be hard to get back the colors once you lose them...

OP
OP
Alpha Aquaculture

Alpha Aquaculture

Designer Clownfish Hatchery
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just be careful with the light Kris. There is a fine line between an acceptable amount of light and an unacceptable amount with some acans. You have so many great colors...I just don't want to see them color down due to too much light. But who knows, it may work...lol Looking good!

Thanks for being concerned. I know many people run 400w mh's over acans with great success. Many of my pieces have lost color after coming from vendors with 400w lights. While its hard to get par values from most, my par is 100-130 for my acans and I would assume that the 400 watters are giving them more light than that in many cases. I still haven't committed and you guys are making me reconsider reconsidering changing my lighting, lol. Maybe I'll just frag a frag off of each colony and experiment under higher light once my new raceway system is built. That would def be safer.

btw, that JC Agent Orange Chalice is not a chalice at all I suspect. I feel like it might be an acan. What do you think? It burned up a corner of my golden chalice that I got from Marvin when I had them close.

hey bro... I wouldn't recommend that... these Rainbow Aussie lords love the low blue spectrum lighting... it's your call at the end though so good luck with whatever you decide to do... it'll be hard to get back the colors once you lose them...

Once again I really appreciate your help. Thank you very much. Nobody has gotten colors back once they are lost? I have only been in the acan game for 18 months now so I don't have the experience yet but I plan on doing some trials when I get more big systems. I have talked to a few that have gotten colors back.

Some beautiful corals..... thanks for sharing!

Where in NY are you from?

TANKSALOT
aka - Steve

No problem! Taking pictures with my camera is one of my pleasures (its easy with a nice camera, lol). Of course I have to share them :) I'm from the Westchester/Putnam area of NY. I live in Wisconsin now and thats where my tanks are but I'm always in NY. New York is where my heart is!!!

GO YANKEES!!!

TANKSALOT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem! Taking pictures with my camera is one of my pleasures (its easy with a nice camera, lol). Of course I have to share them :) I'm from the Westchester/Putnam area of NY. I live in Wisconsin now and thats where my tanks are but I'm always in NY. New York is where my heart is!!!

GO YANKEES!!!

I grew up in South Western NY. I now live in Florida. But I agree, once a New Yorker, always a New Yorker.

+1 on GO YANKEES!!!

TANKSALOT
aka - Steve

Mavjoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking pics as usual1smile1..I still owe you a top down shot of my lone acan..hehe.

OP
OP
Alpha Aquaculture

Alpha Aquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I grew up in South Western NY. I now live in Florida. But I agree, once a New Yorker, always a New Yorker.

+1 on GO YANKEES!!!

TANKSALOT
aka - Steve

Haha word! I'm jealous tho Florida sounds waaaay nicer than cold Wisconsin :(

Great looking pics as usual1smile1..I still owe you a top down shot of my lone acan..hehe.

Thank you! I'm a long way from taking nice fts like you! I need a display!!! Yes yes, I will be hassling you about that on your thread soon :xd:

OP
OP
Alpha Aquaculture

Alpha Aquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More photos of my Roswell Project :) I have it in lower light so it gets more green than orange. Initially I got good growth but then it slowed down. I fraged it cuz it wasn't looking so good and it seemed to help it. I thought I was gonna lose a few of the polyps but they bounced back after the fragging. Still not growing tho. I think it would do better under higher light. Anyone have any experiences with this acan they could share with me?

5-26-2010012-1.jpg

Gills&Roots

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is one cool system you have. Some very amazing corals you have aswell. I might want to incorporate a few ideas into my new setup. Thanks for sharing.

kingfisherfleshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually not a Packers fan, but don't hold that against me! Lol

I'm from NY!!!!!! Somehow ended up in WI?!?:eek:oh:

Oh boy...this isnt what I wanted to here when I clicked on this thread. Strangely enough Wisconsin has its fair share of reefers, and a lot of awesome displays. I am always up for trips to buy frags. Or vice versa. :bigsmile:

OP
OP
Alpha Aquaculture

Alpha Aquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is one cool system you have. Some very amazing corals you have aswell. I might want to incorporate a few ideas into my new setup. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks and thanks! If you like the raceways then keep your eyes on my thread I'm close to building my gen 2 raceways. They might be over 1200g. Still deciding the last few details and if I should go that big, lol. Its a lot of space for that system I'm thinking it will be 6 x 8 foot long tanks with room to walk around all of them. Please fill me in on how youll be incorporating the ideas. I'm always eager to learn :)

Oh boy...this isnt what I wanted to here when I clicked on this thread. Strangely enough Wisconsin has its fair share of reefers, and a lot of awesome displays. I am always up for trips to buy frags. Or vice versa. :bigsmile:

LOL! I'm all for Wisconsin... I just talk a lil ish here and there about the state. Yes its always good to meet other locals with the same interests. Lets def keep in touch and do some trades or when I get the time I'll invite you over to check out my tanks. What kind of corals do you prefer to collect?

OP
OP
Alpha Aquaculture

Alpha Aquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where in Wi are you. Have you ever visited MARS • Index page

Whatup! I'm in Madison. Yes I have visited the page but just haven't gotten around to contributing there yet. All in good time :) Do you go to the MARS meeting and events? Tell me about your tanks and what corals you collect if you got the time :)

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back