A wound or Disease - Chromis Fish ( out of two one dead)

ShivanshMehra

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi ,

I have a new tank , started with prodibio. We have the numbers moving , ammonia has been stagnant at 0.25 and nitrites at 0. Though the fluctuation is in nitrates, which have been moving from 5 ppm to 10 ppm . I had recently added a wave maker, and it seems to have been added incorrectly. Got some sand movements . Yesterday morning I found one of the fish to be hiding under the stones , in a spot where the flow wouldn't affect much. Today morning it was dead. The other one is perfectly fine. Moving and enjoying the food provided.

I don't have any idea if it was a disease , or may be change in nitrate levels that affected, but it surely looked like a wound. The stress could have been caused by me because I was trying to get a photo and video.

Here are the images and all your feedback would be great.
IMG_9697.jpeg

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like this Chromis has smacked his head on something. Looks alot like mechanical injury. As far as your nitrates go, those levels wont even come close to harming a chromis. Chromis commonly come to stores barely clinging to life.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi ,

I have a new tank , started with prodibio. We have the numbers moving , ammonia has been stagnant at 0.25 and nitrites at 0. Though the fluctuation is in nitrates, which have been moving from 5 ppm to 10 ppm . I had recently added a wave maker, and it seems to have been added incorrectly. Got some sand movements . Yesterday morning I found one of the fish to be hiding under the stones , in a spot where the flow wouldn't affect much. Today morning it was dead. The other one is perfectly fine. Moving and enjoying the food provided.

I don't have any idea if it was a disease , or may be change in nitrate levels that affected, but it surely looked like a wound. The stress could have been caused by me because I was trying to get a photo and video.

Here are the images and all your feedback would be great.
IMG_9697.jpeg

This is an injury and was answered in a different post yesterday. Please refrain from cross posting which takes away from other who too are seeking answers to their issues.

OP
OP
S

ShivanshMehra

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @vetteguy53081,

Actually I sent you a private message, but that time the fish was alive. I also got a reply from Jay Hamdel who stated that these should be answered on the thread so that everyone knows about it .

This is the reason I started the thread, also to figure out if death can cause an issue to the tank .

Regards
Shivansh

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi @vetteguy53081,

Actually I sent you a private message, but that time the fish was alive. I also got a reply from Jay Hamdel who stated that these should be answered on the thread so that everyone knows about it .

This is the reason I started the thread, also to figure out if death can cause an issue to the tank .

Regards
Shivansh
Death often not an issue unless fish decomposes and other fish are showing similar symptoms. You can do water change although i dont see a need to but notice you are in India. I believe we spoke about Ruby rally pro as a safe treatment for other tank but you can also resort to Waterlife Myxazin which should be available in your country

OP
OP
S

ShivanshMehra

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Though the fish is dead now , I have just checked though Ruby rally pro is not available , Waterlife Myxazin is at very specific places. I will try to get it , might need in future, Thank you.

OP
OP
S

ShivanshMehra

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Dburr1014

Thank you for your reply.

yes that could also be the case, it might be possible that the other one was bullying it and it got itself smashed on the rock , or just the wave maker pushed it . It isn't a disease as per everyone's reply and its a relief.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've never seen Uronema on a fish's head, but maybe?

Here is my article on Uronema, it is a bit more accurate:

I did see that link is using one of my photos though(grin).

Jay

OP
OP
S

ShivanshMehra

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hahaha , I will neglect the photos then :p .

Thank you for the link @Jay Hemdal .

Your reply on this matters alot , will go through the article and read through for any future issues, never know what is required in future.

Regards
Shivansh Mehra

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 37 17.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 145 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.8%
Back