(AAAA) Amazon Alexa Aquarium Automation: What are your thoughts and experience?

Amazon Alexa Aquarium Automation?

• YES and already using in one way or another (tell us)

Votes: 164 28.7%
  • No not insterested in it

Votes: 205 35.8%
  • Interested but not using

Votes: 184 32.2%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 19 3.3%

• Total voters

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use Kasa for most of my home , has been very reliable. I have all my house lights automated with them. Also have some kasa cams and wall plugs. I am planning on getting some kasa surge strips , stopped because i got a pair of classic apex controllers dirty cheap with a power bar. I have another automation platform called yolink that integrates with alexa that has some cool features . It uses Lora for device communication not wifi , is controllable through an app. What is more interesting for me is that i can use those devices with alexa routines and iftt. Imagine this , the temp sensor feels the room is getting too hot and the aquarium is hot , it turns on the ac and a ceiling fan , turns off the lights all in a sequence without having to have devices from the same vendor . Switches are kasa (ceiling fan ) , ac thermostat is google nest , room and aquarium are yolink. Here you can see the info. https://shop.yosmart.com/collections/smart-aquarium I am a system admin so i like when tools integrate to make your life easier.
Very cool!!

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What happens when someone comes over and says "Alexa, play Free by Phish" over and over wondering why the song!?!?
The tanks are on an Apex feed cycle. The voice command activates the cycle for 15 minutes, then the Apex turns on the tanks again. Plus, no one comes over my house. :grinning-squinting-face:

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The tanks are on an Apex feed cycle. The voice command activates the cycle for 15 minutes, then the Apex turns on the tanks again. Plus, no one comes over my house. :grinning-squinting-face:
I asked Alexa to play my song 15 minutes ago and it still wont play. . . better ask again!!!

My Alexa just has selective hearing. . . and is a PTA!!! so I would never connect it to my reef for fear of some weird voice command error. . . and for fear that it will gain sentience and kill my fish out of spite.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked Alexa to play my song 15 minutes ago and it still wont play. . . better ask again!!!

My Alexa just has selective hearing. . . and is a PTA!!! so I would never connect it to my reef for fear of some weird voice command error. . . and for fear that it will gain sentience and kill my fish out of spite.
Yup, I understand completely. Mine works great for me though, and is an integral part of my reefing routine.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 35 41.7%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 41 48.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back