(AAAA) Amazon Alexa Aquarium Automation: What are your thoughts and experience?

Amazon Alexa Aquarium Automation?

• YES and already using in one way or another (tell us)

Votes: 164 28.7%
  • No not insterested in it

Votes: 205 35.8%
  • Interested but not using

Votes: 184 32.2%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 19 3.3%

• Total voters

waterskiguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the Echo hands free integration with Apex. From logging test results to turning on and off pumps and skimmers during maintenance. It's nice to not use my saltwater covered hands to slide sliders on my already sensitive phone

lmm1967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Controlling my Halides & LEDs over 2 tanks via schedules.

Also used in mixing room. I say "alexa, make water" and she powers up the booster pump.

"Alexa, water pump 2" will power up a pump that I use to transfer water from my mixing room to wherever I drag the hose.

Believe it or not - it's easier and more reliable than using either the Apex or GHL app via my phone.

Biggest drawback is if something happens and a scheduled action is skipped or missed - no way for alexa to notice and correct the fix.

Well - there may be a way to monitor something and send a trigger - I just haven't bothered as the worst that could happen in my instance is lights either won't come on or will stay on longer than normal.

With a little ingenuity, IFTTT, alexa and probably $150 you could have a fairly stout automation setup.

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the Alexa with Apex camp. My wife thinks ’Alexa, tell Apex Fusion to feed the fish’ is the best thing since sliced bread. And it is also great when we have house sitters looking after the place.

We have two tanks and the Apex support for switching Alexa integration between tanks is terrible. I worked around this by using a second Echo, creating a different Neptune and Amazon account for the second tank and hooking it up to that. I shared full control access to my primary account in Apex Fusion so I can manage both easily. This avoids the need to ask Alexa to explain to Apex Fusion we are switching from one tank to the next. As I use the same voice queues I can even use a loud voice to turn on feeding mode for both tanks at the same time.

2BeAlive

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to link it to my probes and ask it for readings. Also an audible "alarm" for measurements, e.g. "your tank are running pretty hot today, I think you may want to take a look".

vic5hands

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(AAAA) Amazon Alexa Aquarium Automation: What are your thoughts and experience?

Good day everyone!

Today in my morning news round I saw that the Echo Dot was on sale (40% OFF) and it got me thinking about how people are using devices like Amazon Alexa and smart outlets to control aquarium tasks and equipment. I know that some reefers are already using Amazon Alexa in conjunctions with their controllers and some even using these without a formal saltwater aquarium controller. I found a few threads here on R2R talking about it but I thought we could have a nice little discussion and make this our question of the day and poll! Here are those threads: "Wifi Power Strips" and "Alexa Automation" and "Alexa Meets Apex"

So let's talk about it!

1. What do you think about using "smart outlets" and "voice operated devices" to control aquarium equipment and tasks?

2. What are some reefing tasks that you have "automated" via smart outlets, voice commands, etc?

Alexa Automation.jpg
I use it for feed mode . I use it for water changes shutting equipment off. I use it for status reports when I don’t have my phone available. Really nice to have

GaryE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have several TP Link smart switches controlling a few things on my tanks.

Primarily I'm using them to control pumps in my top off buckets. They are not auto tipoff yet, someday... I have an alexa routine setup so that if I tell Alexa to add water, my new tank cabinet Light ones on, 5 seconds later the pump comes on for 10 seconds, then the light shuts off 5 seconds later.

The cabinet Light and heater on that tank are also connected to similar smart plugs. Reef pi controls the temp via kaza. And the lights on this tank are controlled with smart plugs via a schedule on reef pi.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kasa Smart strip is on sale for Prime Day. Link in thread:

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My #1 use of Alexa is starting and stopping the water change cycle when I've got the bucket in hand and ready to pour into the sump.

BurgerFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want a food mode via voice control.

Probably need a smart power plug for pumps/skimmer to turn them Off and turn the LED light on for feeding.

Any idea if Apex or Hydros support Alexa or Google home?

waterskiguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want a food mode via voice control.

Probably need a smart power plug for pumps/skimmer to turn them Off and turn the LED light on for feeding.

Any idea if Apex or Hydros support Alexa or Google home?
You can do anything you want with Alexa on Apex. you just make an alias (something that tells what action to do for what voice command), add the apex skill to your Alexa device and say "Alexa, tell Apex Fusion to feed my fish" "Alexa, tell Apex Fusion to stop my skimmer." Alexa, tell Apex Fusion to restart skimmer". You can make just about anything that is plugged into, or programmed to, your Apex do what you want it to. There're also commands for tank parameter status. I have mine tell me what my calcium reactor and display tank PH. You can also have it tell you what the tank temperature or any of the other parameters are.

BurgerFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do anything you want with Alexa on Apex. you just make an alias (something that tells what action to do for what voice command), add the apex skill to your Alexa device and say "Alexa, tell Apex Fusion to feed my fish" "Alexa, tell Apex Fusion to stop my skimmer." Alexa, tell Apex Fusion to restart skimmer". You can make just about anything that is plugged into, or programmed to, your Apex do what you want it to. There're also commands for tank parameter status. I have mine tell me what my calcium reactor and display tank PH. You can also have it tell you what the tank temperature or any of the other parameters are.
WOW! I didn't know that Apex supports Alexa so good!

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW! I didn't know that Apex supports Alexa so good!

There are a lot of possibilities. Here are the Apex Alexa status report items and voice command aliases coded into one of my tanks:

Clipboard01.jpg

Clipboard02.jpg

Clipboard03.jpg

Clipboard04.jpg

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This concept has come a long way now with all the cheap smart plugs available. What do you guys think?

miguelvega76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 power heads blue and white lights return pump and water change station all hooked up to wifi. I can use Alexa or my phone. I love it and way less then an apex. Simply ask Alexa and poof. All plugs and strips are kasa brand. Easily programmable and I can access anywhere.
I use Kasa for most of my home , has been very reliable. I have all my house lights automated with them. Also have some kasa cams and wall plugs. I am planning on getting some kasa surge strips , stopped because i got a pair of classic apex controllers dirty cheap with a power bar. I have another automation platform called yolink that integrates with alexa that has some cool features . It uses Lora for device communication not wifi , is controllable through an app. What is more interesting for me is that i can use those devices with alexa routines and iftt. Imagine this , the temp sensor feels the room is getting too hot and the aquarium is hot , it turns on the ac and a ceiling fan , turns off the lights all in a sequence without having to have devices from the same vendor . Switches are kasa (ceiling fan ) , ac thermostat is google nest , room and aquarium are yolink. Here you can see the info. https://shop.yosmart.com/collections/smart-aquarium I am a system admin so i like when tools integrate to make your life easier.

miguelvega76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We will probably do the same thing you will, watch our tanks Slowly start to die. First we will watch filled with anxiety an hope our battery backups last. When they run out we will pull out our gas generators and hope they last. When they don’t, our little slice of the ocean will unfortunately die.

This hobby is technology dependent. because of automation way more people can be a part of the hobby, I am one of those people. Because of work I spend a total of around 4-5 months away from home each year. And thanks to timers, automatic feeders, dosers, ATOs and an AWC systems I can have my own tank. Automated systems don’t remove the work it front loads it. I still need to know what to feed, when to feed, how much to feed. When to top off, when to change water and so on. Automation doesn’t remove the knowledge requirement it just shifts when the work needs to be done.

I’d be willing to bet the “old school” way is more automated then you probably think it is. Are you manually controlling the temperature of your tank. Or is a heater automatically turning itself on/off to keep your tank at 78? Do you use the sun to light your tank? Or is there a strip of some electrical lighting source above your tank? How does it turn on, manually or on a timer? Have you somehow harnessed the tides to creat water flow in your tank? Or perhaps is it a hand crank wave pump? Or are little electrical pumps moving it automatically for you?

Alexa and any automation is just a tool to alow more people with less time to enjoy what you are already enjoying in your life. A beautiful little slice of the ocean, that helps us relax, and have some pride in watching our fish and corals grow.
Not to rant for too long, .. just my thoughts..sorry
Tools are just that tools , a hammer don't enable you to make a house but in good hands can do a lot of stuff. No need to work harder if you can use a hammer to put a nail . You are the one that know where the nails go and why tools just make it easier . Automation and AI are not skynet from terminator movie , they are just fancy tools that make your life easier if you invest the time on learning.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 132 42.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 107 34.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.9%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back