(AAAA) Amazon Alexa Aquarium Automation: What are your thoughts and experience?

Amazon Alexa Aquarium Automation?

• YES and already using in one way or another (tell us)

Votes: 164 28.7%
  • No not insterested in it

Votes: 205 35.8%
  • Interested but not using

Votes: 184 32.2%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 19 3.3%

• Total voters

SteveG_inDC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I specifically got an echo dot to make recording test results in apex easier. Too bad she doesn't understand me half the time. lol

This is a good idea actually. I want stuff to happen hands free. Pens never work near tanks for me because water.

I already use Alexa to play music while I'm working on my fishroom, so why not have her unplug stuff while my hands are wet. I love this idea and will definitely come up with ways to use amazon devices to control the tank.

GrouperStupor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't use Alexa, but have been using home automation for many years. Not sure how people got along without it before reef controllers. You can do most things I use it for with a reef controller now-a-days. I have a reef controller, but it has fallen off the network enough that it has been regulated to just running the heaters.

My main use is for safe dosing. Works great with those BRS stand alone dosers. I use it to run the dosers, check the level of dosing containers, and (pseudo) flow metering. It sends me a text every morning telling me how much liquid was actually dosed. Never have to set a clock and if the power goes out, it can dose when the power comes back.

Victor_C3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like a great tool for those who either don’t want or need an Apex and those who can’t afford it.

I’m not that worried about the privacy issue with Alexa.If I had one, I’d just unplug it when the guys from the local militia come over for their weekly anti-government hate meeting at my place to discuss pizza-gate and other conspiracies.

MartinWaite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a wheelchair user I find Alexa a brilliant bit of kit along side the 4way WiFi socket extension leads of which I have 2 and plan to get another 2 giving me 16 Alexa and WiFi controlled plug and sockets. When I'm working in the sump I'm normally sat on the floor and the ability to just say "Alexa switch off return pump please" is great otherwise it would mean me drying my hands and then sliding along the floor to the electric cupboard to switch it off then have to slide back around to the sump and continue working on the sump only to realise I should have also switched off the protein skimmer while I was around at the electricity cupboard so I'd have go through the drying of the hands and slide around to the cupboard etc. So that's why I think that it's brilliant and I wouldn't be without it now I can even set the likes of the sump light to come on and knock off at set times of the day or night. I can all so co troll the sockets via my phone through an app.

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 power heads blue and white lights return pump and water change station all hooked up to wifi. I can use Alexa or my phone. I love it and way less then an apex. Simply ask Alexa and poof. All plugs and strips are kasa brand. Easily programmable and I can access anywhere.

MJV15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spent 40 bucks and now have 6 fully automated switches. Controlling everything from my skimmer to my ATO.
045F6816-1DBF-4941-972B-E84CD7058678.jpeg

Here is what my controls look like. Sump light comes on at dusk and off at dawn. The carbon/GFO and return pump turns off automatically every morning when I feed my tank for 30 minutes. ATO which is plumed strait into my RODI unit tops my tank off every morning(only takes 6 minutes), ATO has mechanical and electrical safeguards. When I mix a fresh batch of saltwater I have a heater and a pump that stays on for 48hrs to ensure proper mixing. When I need to empty my skimmer I can turn it off using my Apple Watch.

All for the low low price of 40$$ money well spent in my book.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not quite the same but I have 6 smart plugs that can, if I chose to set them up, work with Alexa. I want an apex badly, really badly but I run a non profit and well let’s just say I don’t get paid...my wife is the bread winner. So for the time being I am using the poor mans apex. Aka smart plugs via a free app. It works for what I need it to work for, well anyway.

Gabev44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about 7 months into my first SW tank and immediately integrated Alexa + smart power strips into my tank power scheme. It's awesome. I've got black box LEDs and have timers set up to turn on/off the blues and whites, also have a timer for the refugium light. In terms of everything else, it's perfect when I need to change my filter socks, or during a water change to turn on/off my main pump (or the pump I use to refill the tank). Also nice when having to do maintenance on the skimmer by not having to manually unplug it.

Another nice feature is if the breaker trips on the power strip I can remotely turn it back on. My wavemaker (Ice cap 2k) is connected to the cloud and tells me if it's lost power. I can then remotely check to make sure everything is turned back on and running. This has happened once before when I was out of town for 3 days. Could have been disastrous.

Eventually I'll get an Apex, but for now having everything connected via Alexa makes both routine stuff as well as redundancy stuff a little less of a pain or worry.

Conovan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I am both new to R2R and the hobby as a whole. That said I am using google home/Alexa capable wifi power strips (Geeni) on the Reef aquarium I just put together as an alternate method of controling equiptment rather than jumping in headfirst with an expensive controller. I obviously don't know how well they will work out in the long run since the tank has been up for all of 7 days now and I haven't even bothered with setting light schedules yet. For basic functionality I think they will do well since I use one on my Bearded dragons enclosure for light scheduling and it has been great. The only time I have had issues is when my kids unplugged the google mini.

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly the single smart outlet i purchased to test with alexa either broke, lost its wifi config, or whatever. It no longer works as it should. I am perfectly fine to wait until this stuff becomes more rock solid. I have enough headaches as it is.

austibella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(AAAA) Amazon Alexa Aquarium Automation: What are your thoughts and experience?

Good day everyone!

Today in my morning news round I saw that the Echo Dot was on sale (40% OFF) and it got me thinking about how people are using devices like Amazon Alexa and smart outlets to control aquarium tasks and equipment. I know that some reefers are already using Amazon Alexa in conjunctions with their controllers and some even using these without a formal saltwater aquarium controller. I found a few threads here on R2R talking about it but I thought we could have a nice little discussion and make this our question of the day and poll! Here are those threads: "Wifi Power Strips" and "Alexa Automation" and "Alexa Meets Apex"

So let's talk about it!

1. What do you think about using "smart outlets" and "voice operated devices" to control aquarium equipment and tasks?

2. What are some reefing tasks that you have "automated" via smart outlets, voice commands, etc?

Alexa Automation.jpg
So here are my thoughts, I'm Old School. I have control issues when it comes to my tank. What are you all going to do when the electricity is out??? I dont even have an automatic feeder I chop fresh seadood for my tank. And also use flake .I enjoy feeding my sea animals, I cant imagine an automatic feeder emptied all at once in a tank.. technology has taken over all our lives to make things faster, easier, and at a cost..are we are all living such fast lives we have to have a machine do all our work.what ever happened to enjoying the challenge of reefing to be the best you can be..I'm sure it's great for many people but I cant sit in my butt asking Alexa to do everything from shutting lights to turning on the stove. That would make me to lazy.. reminds me of the cartoon back in the day called the Jetsons..never thought a cartoon would become a reality. I believe we need to use our brains. Here is an example. Before computers, a cashier had to open the draw to count out change to give to the customer. Now with computers cashiers, can not figure out how to make change with out punching in the amount.. they get confused. How many of you can remember phone numbers and what will you do when electric is out for weeks, from storms, and you cant remember how to take care of your tank without technology and of course Alexa.. just my thoughts..sorry

Buck23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other: I have Google Home. I have too much invested in a complete home automation and security system to switch. Plus I'm not very fond of Alexa. Amazon doesn't update systems and data like Android does.
Agree I have Alexa and just plain stupid. Lol

jnava19

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 2 smart outlets with Google Home, this way I can automate a "Feed mode" where all pumps go off, also automate the lights for a diy algae reactor. I have also connected the Skimmer, some times if I need to turn it off is much easier touch a button than unplugging from my electric cabinet (which is a mess).
I have also connected the heater to the smart outlet, so if the Seneye monitor sends me an alert for high temp, I could switch off the heater (never happened but just to be safe)

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll go back and read this to get ideas from others, but I have mine setup to give a tank status report right now. Basically I have any "Alert" state setup to a virtual outlet, and all the virtual outlets are loaded into the alert. So if the controller is chirping at me I just ask Alexa for a report and she will run down the list.
Temp monitor off
Topoff Level monitor off
Waterchange new water off
Waterchange drain ON
Return Flow off
Sump low off
Sump high off

etc.

It's a quick way to know what needs attention when I walk in the door.

Whiskey

Richard Hercher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Switched from all My pumps on a Smart Plug (that had a Siri shortcut feed mode) to Apex. Tried Apex’s Siri integration for feed mode but had to authenticate, which was weirdly less efficient or convenient then just hitting the Feed button in the app.

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using Alexa ROUTINES in conjunction with different brands of smart power strips (typically Kasa), smart plugs and smart switches across five(5) tanks.

Device Group example:
Alexa, Turn off Big Bow Pumps - deactivates canister filter, two heaters, and one HOB. Pretty much the same on all tanks.

Alexa Routine example:
Alexa, Feed the Corner Tank - replies "Yes Master, initiating corner tank feeding cycle now."
Turns OFF canister filter, wave circulation pumps and air pumps.
Waits 15-minutes
Replies "Master, corner tank feeding cycle is complete."
Restores power to above.

Hands-free examples:
Alexa, Turn on R O Dump Pump - powers-on submerged pump in my mixing tank to feed ready water to a bucket hose.
Alexa, Set sleep timer on R O Booster for 35 minutes - powers-on my RO Buddy and produces approximately 4-5 gals of RO/DI water into a bucket for my freshwater tank, then shuts off.
Alexa, Turn on Corner Tank work light - powers-up under cabinet LED strips mounted inside the tank stand for maintenance lighting.
Alexa, Turn on Big Bow Utility - powers up 2-outlet power strip mounted on the back of each tank stand, used for turning on/off tank vacuums, siphon pumps or any other utility item so that I don't have to reach for switches or plugs with wet hands.

BIG WARNING ABOUT ALEXA ROUTINES (does not apply to Device Groups or individual Device Commands)...
At present, there is no method for backing up Alexa Routines, not to a cloud or anything. They are defined solely on the device used to create the routine within your account (typically your smartphone). So if you factory reset the smart plug/power strip/switch etc., change phones or lots of other reconfiguration possibilities, THERE IS NO BACKUP OF THE ROUTINE HELD ANYWHERE. You must re-create it from scratch.
That has kept me from doing a lot of complex tasks with Alexa Routines.

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here are my thoughts, I'm Old School. I have control issues when it comes to my tank. What are you all going to do when the electricity is out??? I dont even have an automatic feeder I chop fresh seadood for my tank. And also use flake .I enjoy feeding my sea animals, I cant imagine an automatic feeder emptied all at once in a tank.. technology has taken over all our lives to make things faster, easier, and at a cost..are we are all living such fast lives we have to have a machine do all our work.what ever happened to enjoying the challenge of reefing to be the best you can be..I'm sure it's great for many people but I cant sit in my butt asking Alexa to do everything from shutting lights to turning on the stove. That would make me to lazy.. reminds me of the cartoon back in the day called the Jetsons..never thought a cartoon would become a reality. I believe we need to use our brains. Here is an example. Before computers, a cashier had to open the draw to count out change to give to the customer. Now with computers cashiers, can not figure out how to make change with out punching in the amount.. they get confused. How many of you can remember phone numbers and what will you do when electric is out for weeks, from storms, and you cant remember how to take care of your tank without technology and of course Alexa.. just my thoughts..sorry
All my smart power strips have manual on/off buttons. They also remember the last state in case of power failure, which means they come back on in the same on/off state as when power dropped out.
I can still reach for a switch or button or whatever and manually do what needs to be done. But working around saltwater and AC current without having to touch anything electrical is a very comforting feature for someone like me with a pacemaker.

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly the single smart outlet i purchased to test with alexa either broke, lost its wifi config, or whatever. It no longer works as it should. I am perfectly fine to wait until this stuff becomes more rock solid. I have enough headaches as it is.
Buy Kasa brand items. They are rock-solid. Not the cheapest, but by far the best I've found.

One awesome feature of KASA brand... everything "remembers" its last state in case of a power failure, and returns to that state when power is restored. So if someone (kids) accidentally unplugs the power strip, it comes right back on the same way it went down.

You should/must make sure to program schedules in the KASA app, not in Alexa. That way the schedules are stored in the power strip and will run independently of Internet connectivity or Alexa stupidity or Google tampering or whatever.

Let Alexa group things and handle multiple device operations for you. But program your basic stuff like lighting schedules, feeder timings, pump cycles etc. in the smart power strip app directly.

Last edited:

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 124 42.6%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 100 34.4%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 47 16.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 5.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.7%
Back