(AAAA) Amazon Alexa Aquarium Automation: What are your thoughts and experience?

Amazon Alexa Aquarium Automation?

• YES and already using in one way or another (tell us)

Votes: 164 28.7%
  • No not insterested in it

Votes: 205 35.8%
  • Interested but not using

Votes: 184 32.2%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 19 3.3%

• Total voters

Reesj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have custom LED lights. They are all connected to smart wifi switches(3) thats connected to amazon alexa. So I can turn on and off my 3 diffrent sets of lights at exact moments with routines.
Acctually onlything I'm using Alexa dot isto to automate 2 lights in house and the 3 smart switches for my tank. (Not much support for alexa in Sri Lanka)

sfboarders

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Ecosmart Live skill to enable feed mode. I have my return and ato hooked up to a wifi surge protector to turn off/on when I'm cleaning the tank.

Wonderful_Mystery

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using Alexa and the TP link Smart plugs to control my aquarium lighting schedule (controls my reefbrite bar, and my refugium light). Plus I have ones on my return pump and skimmer. I like being able to say, "Alexa turn on fuge light" and have it come on any time I am doing sump maintenance. I also like being able to ask her to turn off the pumps when doing maintenance or feeding. Even have an automation script to turn them back on after 30 minutes off so I cant forget and leave them off to long. I just unplug if I am going to be doing something longer than that.

That being said I am looking to move to something more robust. I would like an apex, but the budget says reef-pi. I think I will build one over the next year.

Doofus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Alexa and smart plugs to control the pumps in my ro and saltwater brutes at my mixing station and for water changes. Which is great because the pumps don't have on and off switches.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 60 wifi devices in my home, including 8 Echos.

I use Alexa/Echo to extensively control the Apex systems on my two larger tanks.
It's great being able to just ask for something instead of pulling out a phone or going to a display or computer.
And when your hands are occupied, it's even more useful.

I also use Alexa/Echo to control the Kasa wifi power strips that I use with my nano.
There's no Apex on this system, but each outlet is individually controllable, or controllable in groups.
So I can be standing there and say 'alexa, turn off nano skimmer' and it does so.
And if I can't remember what's off or on after doing maintenance, just say 'alexa, turn on nano water devices', and it'll make sure everything that should be on, is on.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys turn off water pumps and wavemakers during feeding? Or, just water pumps only?

Not who you asked, but I don't turn off anything while feeding. Or even down. I make everyone work for it! :D

lordraptor1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(AAAA) Amazon Alexa Aquarium Automation: What are your thoughts and experience?

Good day everyone!

Today in my morning news round I saw that the Echo Dot was on sale (40% OFF) and it got me thinking about how people are using devices like Amazon Alexa and smart outlets to control aquarium tasks and equipment. I know that some reefers are already using Amazon Alexa in conjunctions with their controllers and some even using these without a formal saltwater aquarium controller. I found a few threads here on R2R talking about it but I thought we could have a nice little discussion and make this our question of the day and poll! Here are those threads: "Wifi Power Strips" and "Alexa Automation" and "Alexa Meets Apex"

So let's talk about it!

1. What do you think about using "smart outlets" and "voice operated devices" to control aquarium equipment and tasks?

2. What are some reefing tasks that you have "automated" via smart outlets, voice commands, etc?

Alexa Automation.jpg

never heard of it, and quite frankly i dont trust any automation including neptune ( call me old fashioned if you will). however, 1. i cant afford automation, and 2. automation is just one more thing to go wrong and sometimes go wrong in a spectacular fashion

Jen1978

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd consider it using my Google Home. I do love using smart devices. My livingroom, bedroom, and porch lights all are smart bulbs and I have one outlet I use for my Christmas decor.

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not who you asked, but I don't turn off anything while feeding. Or even down. I make everyone work for it! :D

My concern is if you don't turn off the water pumps, some or more will go down the sump. I want all to stay in the DT.

kstripp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alexa, Google Home, etc have no place in our house - those things are just too invasive.
Its pretty hilarious that people who are concerned about their privacy with Alexa/GoogleHome are carrying around smartphones (or using facebook) - which are 1000x as bad.
Guilty as charged, and not happy about it. I started with gmail many years ago when it was an invite only beta... and now I have quite a bit tied to that address, so changing it out would be quite the task. May still do it someday.
But all of our home automation gizmos are local only - no cloud connections.

I already have issues with apps like Facebook and Instagram selling me things based on what I’ve been talking to others about. If there was a system with better privacy of data I’d be all over it.
There is... if you are up for some DIY legwork. Check out Almond or Mycroft. I haven't looked in depth to either (and there are probably others too), but they seem like they might be good candidates.

BAUCE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its pretty hilarious that people who are concerned about their privacy with Alexa/GoogleHome are carrying around smartphones (or using facebook) - which are 1000x as bad.

Anyways -I was using a bunch of smart outlets to control lights - but all the lights now have their own schedules. Worked fine. Haven't repurposed them yet.
if you dont block bluetooth, the microphone and cameras this post makes sense. There are ways to make phones more private if you care to look into them. Im on iOS and have it pretty locked down by not keeping a majority of the social networking apps on there and the ones I do I have everything disabled. You can also install ad blockers on them which actually work great.

Jonddk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use smart plugs with Alexa to turn my skimmer pump and main pump off and on in my AIO aquarium. During skimmer maintenance or water changes it makes it easy to say "Alexa, turn off skimmer". I also have the two plugs in a group to say "Alexa, turn off pumps.".

Spendian68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already use it with two devices, the Ecotech Reeflink will go into feed mode With Alexa or its app.

I also use a smart 4 socket multi plug with usb’s I have the skimmer, refugium light, and pump for filling during a water change in the sockets, and my Seneye in the usb when not plugged into the computer.

The smart socket can be operated remotely via an app or by voice through Alex.
I switch the skimmer off and back on easily when it needs a clean with just my voice so don’t need to find the correct switch under the tank.
I program the refugium light on the app and can change the timings really easily To control Nitrates etc.
When doing a water change I pump the water into the tank when topping back up, I switch the pump on and off with my voice.

I plan on getting a cheap ip camera to view my sump remotely and setting my top up pump to refill my ATO tank so that when I am on holiday I can switch off my skimmer if it is full, fill up the ATO and switch on a spare heater if there is a problem, my seneye will tell me via text if I loose temperature.

Ef4life

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using a cheap $25 smart power strip to control my pico tank, it works great. I don’t use the Alexa function, I control it from an app on the phone. Only thing I wish it had was a built in heater/cooler setting like an ink bird controller to simplify the cord situation.

BlazinNano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have smart plugs on my lights and return pumps. I tell Alexa to feed the fish and it kills the return pump for 20 mins. I also have an alarm that any time my return pump turns off it sends a message to my phone. This way if I am not home and I lose power or lose wifi I will know.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 128 42.8%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 104 34.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 47 15.7%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.7%
Back