wifi power strips? Whats everyone using?

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 Sb reef 16 basics. Now that ive got it all configured, id like to clean up the cable mess, Ive seen some WIfi enabled timer strips. Are these worth it? i have 6 plugs. 3 whites and 3 blues. Ive got 2 empty wall outlets on the dedicated tank circuits ( 2 20 amp GFCI) what should i look at? Not interested in advanced control, basically just need my lights to come on when i want them to, and to go off when i want them to.

Thanks!

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 Sb reef 16 basics. Now that ive got it all configured, id like to clean up the cable mess, Ive seen some WIfi enabled timer strips. Are these worth it? i have 6 plugs. 3 whites and 3 blues. Ive got 2 empty wall outlets on the dedicated tank circuits ( 2 20 amp GFCI) what should i look at? Not interested in advanced control, basically just need my lights to come on when i want them to, and to go off when i want them to.

Thanks!
I like using these plugs from amazon. They are Alexa enabled. Versatile and useful, I use them to do my weekly water change.
Alexa "do water change": water pumped out to drain....then water pumped in from the mixing station:)

Amazon Smart Plug, works with Alexa https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MZEEFNX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_7IjlDb6XY47QW

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
will it power a whole power strip tho? Id have to plug it into the wall, and then a power strip into it.
Depend on the expected load. This is 15A outlet, common home outlets are 15a as well. So I would say shoild not be a problem unless if you ate planning on putting heavier load than 15a to which I will caution you check the wall outlet as well and make sure it can support above 15a..

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depend on the expected load. This is 15A outlet, common home outlets are 15a as well. So I would say shoild not be a problem unless if you ate planning on putting heavier load than 15a to which I will caution you check the wall outlet as well and make sure it can support above 15a..
i just had installed 2 20 amp breakers, with 20 amp GFCI outlets for the tank :)

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are similar strips they are all 10A and 15A max which push me to believe this price range is 10 15A.
If rating is not mentioned I would consider ot 10A to be on the safe side.

Kasa Smart WiFi Power Strip by TP-Link - 6 Outlet Surge Protection, Works with Alexa Echo & Google (HS300) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G95FFN3/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_m.jlDbTQT2FB6

Smart Power Strip, Wifi Surge Protector, Voice Control with Alexa & Google Home, 4 AC Outlets 4 USB Port with 6-Foot Cord, App Control Appliances, Individual Control, Timing Schedule, No Hub Required https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076VRH9WP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_tbklDbM0CZ96E

Smart Plugs, Surge Protector Power Strip with USB Ports, WiFi Wireless Voice Remote Control and Timing Function 4-Outlet 4-USB Port 6 ft Extension Cord, Compatible with Alexa/Google Home/IFTTT-White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q5XXGW1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_9bklDb324X81B

Last edited:
OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076VRH9WP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_tbklDbM0CZ96E

This one looks good, ive just never heard of the brand, so ill do what i do and do some more research. it leaves me 1 outlet to eventually plug an upcoming fuge light in, and it wont matter, as ill be running it opposite cycle to the tank lights, so power draw wont be an issue.

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like using these plugs from amazon. They are Alexa enabled. Versatile and useful, I use them to do my weekly water change.
Alexa "do water change": water pumped out to drain....then water pumped in from the mixing station:)

Amazon Smart Plug, works with Alexa https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MZEEFNX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_7IjlDb6XY47QW
That is
original.jpg

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076VRH9WP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_tbklDbM0CZ96E

This one looks good, ive just never heard of the brand, so ill do what i do and do some more research. it leaves me 1 outlet to eventually plug an upcoming fuge light in, and it wont matter, as ill be running it opposite cycle to the tank lights, so power draw wont be an issue.
This particular one is 10A :) that's why i asked you what's your power rating requirements. I would go with the other 2 I had in the post. They are 15A.
IF you want above 12a rating.
Basically get something that is 1 or 2 amp above your requirments to account for heat and power loss on the cables.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This particular one is 10A :) that's why i asked you what's your power rating requirements. I would go with the other 2 I had in the post. They are 15A.
IF you want above 12a rating.
Basically get something that is 1 or 2 amp above your requirments to account for heat and power loss on the cables.
im not home to look, but each box is 165 watts, i cant find amperage listed in Mikes site, but id be running one side of each of one strip. One strip for blues, one strip for whites, and eventually a SB reef Fuge Sprite.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im not home to look, but each box is 165 watts, i cant find amperage listed in Mikes site, but id be running one side of each of one strip. One strip for blues, one strip for whites, and eventually a SB reef Fuge Sprite.
The research I did was quick on amazon. The one I shared are the one that have the amp specified..
It's also a matter of the number of plugs. So wattage can vary. I like to go by the max amp rating. That I cannot go wrong with..

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha ha, for real I have my weekly water change automated. Plumbed to drain and mixing station in the garage. Then using alexa I have a scenario called water change. It will turn off return pump and power heads, push water out of the sump to drain wait a minute then push water from mixing station to the sump.
Clearly I di this when am at home just incase ha ha

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

clm65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using the Kasa WiFi powerstrip (HS300) for a few months now for my lights and some powerheads. It is rated for 15A. Works very well so far. And it is on sale right now on Amazon :).

clm65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you feel its worth that price tag?
I had a bunch of individual timers plugged into various power strips and outlets. Whenever I had a power outage or when the time changed (daylight savings time), I had to adjust all the timers. Now everything is simplified and more organized. Programming is very easy. And if I don’t have my phone handy, I can turn anything plugged into it on or off just by pressing a button on the strip. I also have a couple single outlet Kasa timers for the dosing pump and the refugium light, all run by the same app on my phone. So yes, I think it is worth the money (and I spent more than the current sale price). But to be honest, I have not tried any of the other brands, so I can’t give you an honest comparison. Hope this helps!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 16 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.0%
Back