wifi power strips? Whats everyone using?

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
honestly when it comes to power I try to get the best quality because these are some of the things that you will set and forget for possibly years..
I cannot tell you what is worth it and what is not...but this is my line of thinking

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another vote for the Kasa 6 outlet power strip. Works great and easy to set up schedules for each outlet.

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any of these strips that will alert you if the power draw from an outlet stops, or goes higher than normal?

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a bunch of individual timers plugged into various power strips and outlets. Whenever I had a power outage or when the time changed (daylight savings time), I had to adjust all the timers. Now everything is simplified and more organized. Programming is very easy. And if I don’t have my phone handy, I can turn anything plugged into it on or off just by pressing a button on the strip. I also have a couple single outlet Kasa timers for the dosing pump and the refugium light, all run by the same app on my phone. So yes, I think it is worth the money (and I spent more than the current sale price). But to be honest, I have not tried any of the other brands, so I can’t give you an honest comparison. Hope this helps!

it does. Im going to try one of the above ones, possibly the slightly cheaper one to make sure it will work. Yea now that its not as easy as walking to the living room, its going downstairs getting up on the ladder to the ceiling where its mounted etc, and with 3 lights, and 6 cables i need some control, but dont want to buy new lights.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can also set an alarm on your alex app if you are using alexa, it will give you states based on the condition of each outlet...

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can also set an alarm on your alex app if you are using alexa, it will give you states based on the condition of each outlet...
i have an echo upstairs, and a small dot that we use out by the pool. Can always add another downstairs no problem. Can you overide the timers and put them back? like "alexa turn the whites back on for 10 minutes, then go back to regular timer settings" ?

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you will not need to add another echo I believe.
as long as you have one echo, and the device (outlet) is connected to wifi, you can control it via alexa app.
as a matter of fact I think even without having an echo at all you can discover alexa enabled devices and add them to your app...control of these alexa enabled devices happen regardless of having echo or not.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you will not need to add another echo I believe.
as long as you have one echo, and the device (outlet) is connected to wifi, you can control it via alexa app.
as a matter of fact I think even without having an echo at all you can discover alexa enabled devices and add them to your app...control of these alexa enabled devices happen regardless of having echo or not.
Well my man cave is where the 220 is, so im usually down there listening to vinyl or watching what i want to watch on Tv, so an extra dot, wouldnt hurt anything .id just like to be able to turn the whites back on if ive gone to blues to show something to someone quickly and then back off as normal without getting on a ladder.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my man cave is where the 220 is, so im usually down there listening to vinyl or watching what i want to watch on Tv, so an extra dot, wouldnt hurt anything .id just like to be able to turn the whites back on if ive gone to blues to show something to someone quickly and then back off as normal without getting on a ladder.
Got it. Just to make sure we are in the same page. You still can control these devices via the alexa app..
Meaning if you have an echo you can control via voice through echo. If you do not have echo, you can conteoll via alexa app on your phone just like you control your controller from app phone...make sense?
Echo give you the ability to control through voice that's all

clm65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not set mine up with Alexa. I guess I’m afraid she might misunderstand a command and turn the dosing pump on or something that may cause trouble. But the nice thing about these WiFi outlets is that you will not need a ladder after it is installed and running. Just pull out your smart phone or tablet, open the app, and select which devices you want to turn on or off. Plus you can name each outlet so that you don’t need to remember what outlet 1 is for, etc.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not set mine up with Alexa. I guess I’m afraid she might misunderstand a command and turn the dosing pump on or something that may cause trouble. But the nice thing about these WiFi outlets is that you will not need a ladder after it is installed and running. Just pull out your smart phone or tablet, open the app, and select which devices you want to turn on or off. Plus you can name each outlet so that you don’t need to remember what outlet 1 is for, etc.
Give it strange name that is not commonly used if you are worried ha ha

Entz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you feel its worth that price tag?
One thing to watch, especially on Amazon, is the insane amount of cheap stuff with fake certifications and who knows what kind of rating they actually have. At least with a proper brand name like TP-Link they have the proper stuff and your not going to burn down you house because you saved a few dollars and the company put a 5amp relay in a slot they say takes 10+.

Kasa stuff works super well both in the app and alexa. I don't use it on my tank but have a bunch of their stuff all over the house.

clm65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give it strange name that is not commonly used if you are worried ha ha

Yeah, good idea. I might do that some day, lol. I've had Alexa for about a year and a half now. All I use her for is to play music, and maybe give me the weather forecast. Certainly not taking advantage of all the "smart" things she can do.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, good idea. I might do that some day, lol. I've had Alexa for about a year and a half now. All I use her for is to play music, and maybe give me the weather forecast. Certainly not taking advantage of all the "smart" things she can do.
Oh man I use alexa for so so many things ha ha
Alexa "water change"
Alexa what's "my kh"
Alexa "turn off led lights"
Alexa t"urn off doser"
Alexa "fill reservoir"
Alexa "feed mode"..this turn off my vortechs

This is aquarium related. For none aquarium, every light and switch in my home is alexa enabled I kid you not I have more than 75 wifi devices in my home, yards and garage ha ha ha.

clm65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man I use alexa for so so many things ha ha
Alexa "water change"
Alexa what's "my kh"
Alexa "turn off led lights"
Alexa t"urn off doser"
Alexa "fill reservoir"
Alexa "feed mode"..this turn off my vortechs

This is aquarium related. For none aquarium, every light and switch in my home is alexa enabled I kid you not I have more than 75 wifi devices in my home, yards and garage ha ha ha.
Well, I'd say one of us is certainly getting his money's worth from Alexa!

Dom274

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question:

Why? Just why? (Seriously, I'm asking the question)

I can't imagine what benefits a power strip with wifi would give me. As an IT professional, I'd say that more technology = more points of failure. Occums razor and all.

Companies seem to want to put wifi in everything nowadays, which means my office now has a dozen different SSIDs from my electronics. It's irritating to have to constantly switch networks depending on what device I am using.

I can name 9 right away off top of my head:

Main wifi from router 5GHz
Main wifi from router 2.4GHz
I have a wifi outlet for a lamp
My pair of AP700s use wifi and an app
2 different webcams, each with their own wifi network and app.
ODB car code reader (Which is plugged into the car in the driveway)
Borescope for video and pictures in difficult to reach places.
Stereo receiver which has it's own app.

Back