AB+, i got excited for nothing

windemerejack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the red sea coral care program on one of my tanks but I have to dose manually the reef energy A and B as it has to be stored in a fridge, so I got pretty excited when red sea announced a new AB+ that can be used in a doser as it doesn't need refrigeration.
I have just read that it can only be kept unrefrigerated for 1 week, what a let down, all the hype and noise about it not needing refrigeration was just a joke, never once did it say anything about using it only for 1 week until its release.
I am beginning to lose faith with Red Sea as a company and I am now looking at other dosing alternatives.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your goals and what corals are you keeping?

I find with my acros, euphylia, gonipora and gorgs, just adding a cube of coral gumbo to my feedings suffices my needs of keeping my corals fed without the need to remember to dose something separate for my corals. Caveat my tank feeding 3x a day also likes to run low on no3 so dosing amino acids just resulted in dinos for me.

OP
OP
windemerejack

windemerejack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your goals and what corals are you keeping?

I find with my acros, euphylia, gonipora and gorgs, just adding a cube of coral gumbo to my feedings suffices my needs of keeping my corals fed without the need to remember to dose something separate for my corals. Caveat my tank feeding 3x a day also likes to run low on no3 so dosing amino acids just resulted in dinos for me.
My tank is sps only and its doing fine following the red sea program, it was only a pain to have to dose manually the reef foundation, then all the hype about the new stuff being able to use a doser and now its only a week was a little disappointing so im going to keep with the program but just something different to the reef energy.
I am looking into TLF Acropower as I have read good reviews about it and it doesn't need refrigeration at all.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I would say that Red Sea has you guys right where it wants you..... Spending your hard earned dollars on snake oil.. Dosing all that crap in your tanks when not a single one of them is actually needed. Red Sea sure does have an awesome media presence, and an even more awesome marketing crew!

Seriously though, look at some of the coral gurus on this very website. Not a single one doses any of that crap into their tanks, and yet they have some of the most gourgious tanks I've ever witnessed.

God how did we ever grow corals before Red Sea and their "program" came along?

OP
OP
windemerejack

windemerejack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I would say that Red Sea has you guys right where it wants you..... Spending your hard earned dollars on snake oil.. Dosing all that crap in your tanks when not a single one of them is actually needed. Red Sea sure does have an awesome media presence, and an even more awesome marketing crew!

Seriously though, look at some of the coral gurus on this very website. Not a single one doses any of that crap into their tanks, and yet they have some of the most gourgious tanks I've ever witnessed.

God how did we ever grow corals before Red Sea and their "program" came along?
I understand completely and mostly agree but my worry is my tank has been stable for about 36 months using red sea program and my concern is changing to a different system could throw it out of whack, so while the tank is stable im not going to change anything, Its a clique but my attitude is 'if it isn't broken don't fix it'.

EastCoastScaping

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well you can feed your fish more heavily since dosing may not be the best option, or you can "dose" reef roids daily which works just fine. I saw on on Reefbuilders youtube channel he did a tank tour of a sps tank that auto fed reef roids instead of dosing coral food.

EastCoastScaping

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another possible thing if you wanna dose is take some of ab+ (enough for one week) and diluted it with some ro water. Like 10ml of ab+ and 90ml of water and dose it at 10x the amount. Or you can just dose TLF Acropower which is a proven coral food

OP
OP
windemerejack

windemerejack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another possible thing if you wanna dose is take some of ab+ (enough for one week) and diluted it with some ro water. Like 10ml of ab+ and 90ml of water and dose it at 10x the amount. Or you can just dose TLF Acropower which is a proven coral food
TLF Acropower is what ive been looking at and I cant recall any bad reviews so will probably end up going down that route

OP
OP
windemerejack

windemerejack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 d-d pro 4 to dose red sea and I have a spare head as I don't use nopox so will put the acropower on there.
I have a Kamoer x4 wifi doser on my planted tank and it hasn't missed a beat in 3 years, brilliant dosers.
I would have had 2 on my reef tank but not enough room to place 2 x4 dosers really.

Pjcharlier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found dosing the recommended amount caused rapid algae on the glass wave makers etc etc.. I’m going to reduce to 1 a week for now and see what happens. Anyone else notice this?
I religiously water change weekly

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going on two months 10 ml a day and I can say I have had noticeable growth on some SPS and my Alk and cal consumption has gone up

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back