About overflows and pipes, and drainage to the tank.

seanarino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(Drainage in this case being the pipes going from overflow to sump. Also, sorry if this is in the wrong forum lol.)

I don't plan on making one because I don't have the money, and I'm not making a sump + refugium for a 10 gallon aquarium, at least not right now. Maybe in the future, when I'm able to save up, and on a bigger tank. I would like to put one on the 10 gallon, but most people would say this is unnecessary. To me, it's extra water volume and I think it could be helpful. (And, to me, I don't like the way HOB overflows make so much noise.) Also, the light I bought is technically a refugium light (the ACKE LED light, 12 watt) - or that's what everybody who bought them said. Oops! I had misread and thought it would have been good for the tank.

But I digress - what I planned on asking, was about pipe sizes. I really like the idea of the Bean Animal overflow because it's said - with some changes, perhaps - to be almost nearly silent (relatively) and very fail-proof. How small, really, can overflow pipes be without being unusable?

And, as a second question - what does this look like set up? I never see actual pictures of the full setup (i.e. pipes running into the sump) because they're often diagrams or just pictures of the pipes attached to the overflow. I can't wrap my head around what the pipes look like when fully plumbed into the sump because I know that normally, the single-tube sumps drain into a specific part of the sump and are usually supplemented by a filter sock in a holder. How do these three-pipe versions work?

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(Drainage in this case being the pipes going from overflow to sump. Also, sorry if this is in the wrong forum lol.)

I don't plan on making one because I don't have the money, and I'm not making a sump + refugium for a 10 gallon aquarium, at least not right now. Maybe in the future, when I'm able to save up, and on a bigger tank. I would like to put one on the 10 gallon, but most people would say this is unnecessary. To me, it's extra water volume and I think it could be helpful. (And, to me, I don't like the way HOB overflows make so much noise.) Also, the light I bought is technically a refugium light (the ACKE LED light, 12 watt) - or that's what everybody who bought them said. Oops! I had misread and thought it would have been good for the tank.

But I digress - what I planned on asking, was about pipe sizes. I really like the idea of the Bean Animal overflow because it's said - with some changes, perhaps - to be almost nearly silent (relatively) and very fail-proof. How small, really, can overflow pipes be without being unusable?

And, as a second question - what does this look like set up? I never see actual pictures of the full setup (i.e. pipes running into the sump) because they're often diagrams or just pictures of the pipes attached to the overflow. I can't wrap my head around what the pipes look like when fully plumbed into the sump because I know that normally, the single-tube sumps drain into a specific part of the sump and are usually supplemented by a filter sock in a holder. How do these three-pipe versions work?
Only one of the three pipes is actually a drain. This first pipe is referred to as a full siphon. The second pipe should only have a slight trickle of water running through it and the third pipe is dry and considered an emergency pipe. So the first pipe which is handling all the flow from the tank would be plumbed into the drain bulkhead of your sump which feeds into filter sock or filter roller etc. The other two pipes can be plumbed wherever you choose. The key point is not to submerge the other two pipes. You want them above the water line of your sump so if you start hearing splashing it alerts you that you possibly have a clog in your primary drain or set up isn’t properly tuned and needs attention. As far as drain size pipe 1” is the smallest diameter you’re going to find or most likely be recommended to use. Anything smaller greatly increases the odds of clogging and limits flow capacity.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, Do some googlying. You will get a better understanding and more info then what most people will post here for you. @JC1977 did a great job and took time with his explanation. Use what he told you and now look up these systems to get a better idea of how they are put together. That's what I did anyway.

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
3 pipes.
#1 - full siphon
#2 - trickle
#3 - emergency
Pipe 1 is plumbed into the filter sock compartment and empty’s below the water level. It has a ball/gate valve inline. You use this valve to tune the full siphon until you set a small trickle going into pipe 2. It is usually a Upside down U pipe or elbow in the overflow box.

Pipe 2 is basically the same configuration as pipe 1 and is plumbed into the same area. It has a air vent at the highest point to prevent it pulling a siphon and it empty’s below the water level also. It is usually also an upside down U pipe or elbow in the overflow box.

Pipe 3 is a open drain also and is plumbed wherever it fits and empty’s above the water level so in the event of a emergency blockage in either pipe 1 or 2 the sound will alert you to the issue. It is usually the straight pipe in the overflow box and is set to max water height.

Hope this explains it and the function a little better.

Last edited:
OP
OP
seanarino

seanarino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only one of the three pipes is actually a drain. This first pipe is referred to as a full siphon. The second pipe should only have a slight trickle of water running through it and the third pipe is dry and considered an emergency pipe. So the first pipe which is handling all the flow from the tank would be plumbed into the drain bulkhead of your sump which feeds into filter sock or filter roller etc. The other two pipes can be plumbed wherever you choose. The key point is not to submerge the other two pipes. You want them above the water line of your sump so if you start hearing splashing it alerts you that you possibly have a clog in your primary drain or set up isn’t properly tuned and needs attention. As far as drain size pipe 1” is the smallest diameter you’re going to find or most likely be recommended to use. Anything smaller greatly increases the odds of clogging and limits flow capacity.

Thank you! I just wanted to know in case I ever did one later :) Is there a diagram anywhere of a full plumbing of a Bean Animal-type overflow? From the tank to the sump - A lot of images are usually the "single pipe" overflows and for some reason I can't just mentally think "make it 3 pipes".

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I just wanted to know in case I ever did one later :) Is there a diagram anywhere of a full plumbing of a Bean Animal-type overflow? From the tank to the sump - A lot of images are usually the "single pipe" overflows and for some reason I can't just mentally think "make it 3 pipes".
If you google search bean animal overflow as Cichlid Dad suggested you should get lots of diagrams. You can also look up herbie overflow method which is the same principle just two pipes instead of three.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve tried Various Drains and always go back to the Durso’s either a Single with a Course Strainer or a Double. Made These Drawings.

Attachments

• 6944A20F-FDC1-42D9-BEA7-ED3C634F1843.jpeg
    6944A20F-FDC1-42D9-BEA7-ED3C634F1843.jpeg
    234.3 KB · Views: 49
  • 399FB416-E016-419E-AC6B-B3EFCD563DEA.png
    399FB416-E016-419E-AC6B-B3EFCD563DEA.png
    206.2 KB · Views: 50
  • BF9114CF-FC70-4538-B2B1-D8F6A2CEFE11.png
    BF9114CF-FC70-4538-B2B1-D8F6A2CEFE11.png
    199.7 KB · Views: 47

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can aways go Herbie also. That only uses 2 pipes but it's the same principle.

1 main drain with a gate valve tuned at full syphone. To get full syphone the pipe should be submerged in water 4" below the secondary drain (min). Put a strainer on it for protection. I have mine below the water line in the sump to make it quiet. The gate valve should be close to the sump.

Secondary drain should be as high as you want the water to be in the overflow portion. Many people put "u" tubes on these pipes but it's not mandatory. Also, having them terminate above the water in the sump is not mandatory. My secondary drain is below the water in the sump. It will still alert me of a problem because it still sounds loud when it's not a trickle and makes less salt creep. In the sump area (in my basement) I just watch for small bubbles out the pipe. If I have a lot of bubbles, to much flow. Few bubbles, just right.
One thing to make sure it's that your secondary can handle all the flow. Easy way to do this is shut off the gate valve. Make sure it works while your home as opposed of you being away and making a mess.

HTH

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back