About QT tanks...

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I qt for 76 days, with no meds if they don't need it, then they should be safe to go into the DT?
Risky IMO because you can't be 100% sure that they don't need it. If you aren't going to medicate at all, at least use TTM to eliminate the chance of ich. Just because fish don't show symptoms doesn't mean they aren't carriers. It could just mean they've built up a certain level of resistance.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Radman73 So fish do not need to be in qt for 76 days? Just corals and inverts in a fishless environment? How long should fish be in qt

Sounds like unless you medicate, you cannot be sure of healthy fish? I only have one qt for fish so can't do transfer method. My qt has sand so I can't use copper or if I do, it will take more and longer to reach the desired treatment level, and take a lot more time to absorb it out. I've read that prazipro can be used in tanks with corals etc.

So what about:
Observe for 2-3 weeks and feed well
Treating qt tank with prazipro 5-7 days after a period of observation followed by
Treating qt tank with paraguard for 2 weeks.
Observe another week or so and done.

Paraguard can also be used as a dip but I think that might stress new fish out. So can Rallys. Would an hour dip before into qt be of any value?

There is also:
Using Rallys toward end of observation along with kick ick? Rallys says safe for fish, corals, inverts.

I also have CP

What about API General Cure

I have been trying to build up my "medicine cabinet". I have CP (ebay), prazipro, paraguard, rid ick plus, (lfs recommended), Rallys, metroflex, focus, kanaplex, mardels copper

If treated when there is no sign, does that guarentee no future signs of disease once in main tank? This is my first go at qt'ing fish after losing fish to marine velvet. My surviving fish just went back into the MT after the fallow period. They were treated with CP or mardels copper. Now I'm trying to come up with my qt process with an emphasis on a fish friendly qt tank (not prison style) to allow fish to recover from LFS and all the shipping and stress. Sounds like I have no choice but to do some medicating.

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Radman73 So fish do not need to be in qt for 76 days? Just corals and inverts in a fishless environment? How long should fish be in qt

Sounds like unless you medicate, you cannot be sure of healthy fish? I only have one qt for fish so can't do transfer method. My qt has sand so I can't use copper or if I do, it will take more and longer to reach the desired treatment level, and take a lot more time to absorb it out. I've read that prazipro can be used in tanks with corals etc.

So what about:
Observe for 2-3 weeks and feed well
Treating qt tank with prazipro 5-7 days after a period of observation followed by
Treating qt tank with paraguard for 2 weeks.
Observe another week or so and done.

Paraguard can also be used as a dip but I think that might stress new fish out. So can Rallys. Would an hour dip before into qt be of any value?

There is also:
Using Rallys toward end of observation along with kick ick? Rallys says safe for fish, corals, inverts.

I also have CP

What about API General Cure

I have been trying to build up my "medicine cabinet". I have CP (ebay), prazipro, paraguard, rid ick plus, (lfs recommended), Rallys, metroflex, focus, kanaplex, mardels copper

If treated when there is no sign, does that guarentee no future signs of disease once in main tank? This is my first go at qt'ing fish after losing fish to marine velvet. My surviving fish just went back into the MT after the fallow period. They were treated with CP or mardels copper. Now I'm trying to come up with my qt process with an emphasis on a fish friendly qt tank (not prison style) to allow fish to recover from LFS and all the shipping and stress. Sounds like I have no choice but to do some medicating.

76 days his how long a tank has to go fishless to be 99.9% sure that there is no ich. Unfortunately, there are no guarantees in this hobby. Since you've done copper I'd suggest you stick with that method. I'd remove the sand from the QT. If you have wrasses that need sand you can put a small container in the QT for the duration of their stay. A small amount of sand shouldn't affect copper dosing. You can use CP as well but not all fish tolerate it, just like different fish tolerate different types of copper. The process you suggested will really only treat for flukes. If a fish has ich or velvet it may make it through QT just fine. If you want to avoid a repeat of an outbreak, I think you need to treat proactively. This is just my opinion though, not gospel.

Sounds like you have a good medicine cabinet on hand.

I highly recommend you read:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-dos-and-don’ts-of-quarantine.203898/
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/how-to-quarantine.189815/
and other stickies in that forum. They're written by folks far more knowledgeable than me.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back