About to call it quits,

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No , what is removing the fats and oil from the surface ....nothing .....you have to skim the water line to get the correct exchange and no extra surface tension , it will work but like ish , thats why Reef ready tanks exist , if the other methods worked as well ............ and no you dont have diatoms cause your tank is too clean they consume po and no and ........silicates , you have silicates thats why you have them , as soon as you stop changing your water they will die down a friggen pinch like 1/60 of a tsp of bakers yeast at night would help also , hope it all works out.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you get a microscope pic of what you think is a diatom bloom? It may be diatoms, but it could also be a dino bloom. Several of the dino strands are toxic and could be causing the stress in your tank. Definitely run some carbon and maybe a nice size water change to help.

A multimeter isn't a bad idea to check for stray voltage as well...

Sorry if this is repeat info, I didn't have a lot of time to read every response!

OP
OP
actik

actik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just a small update like someone had suggested I've been dosing a bit of hydrogen peroxide 3% every day, my aquarium has also been totally blacked out for the last 3 days and protein skimmer cranked right up and been feeding more. The skimmer is pulling out some digusting black gunk and the aquarium has cleaned up alot ! Won't know for another 2 days if I put my dinos in their place but I'll keep updating.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add copepods and phytoplankton...and if you can get a sample under the microscope for a positive ID ..on which dinos you have if it is dinos ...also running a UV will also help ....and if your dosing hydrogen peroxide at night ...you should be adding the same amount of bacteria during the day....as hydrogen peroxide kills good bacteria as well ...3 days lights out doesn't always work ...again it depends on which dino strand you have ...
Tbh ...I'm not a big fan of putting copus amounts of peroxide in a reef ....better to out compete them with a healthy microbiology...

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back