OP
OP
Apollo7235

Apollo7235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on your previous posts the only thing that really strikes me as being potentially significantly different is the lighting. Even with the NPS corals it might be affecting them? The AI have a much wider range of diodes including UV.

I am not in the camp of something from the rock as I think it would be affecting the other tank inhabitants also. But it's just a guess!

I agree with the Tropic Marin Pro salt. I switched salt because I like to run around 9dkh
Both times that I moved the NPS into the tank I placed them beneath the overhangs and they were very deeply shadowed.... I can’t imagine they would still have been burned while in shadows?

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both times that I moved the NPS into the tank I placed them beneath the overhangs and they were very deeply shadowed.... I can’t imagine they would still have been burned while in shadows?
Well not necessarily burned but perhaps just showing an adverse reaction to exposure from a broader spectrum than the QT? Even under the overhangs they could be getting hit with some reflected light from the sand and glass. Did they come out at night with the lights off?

You could try some poly-filter in the DT if you haven't done that yet.
I always have a package around in case I need it.

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That tank was started around 2008 when using all dry rock was becoming the rage to "avoid unwanted pests". That was probably the worst idea this hobby has ever had.

Hopefully your test shows the problem. It's possible your rock is leaching something you can't test for.
Agreed, this dry rock start stuff is nothing but a headache. I'd much rather spend a few nights fishing for a crab than the list of horrors found in new tanks now. Liverock or mixed rock start is just so much more stable. Less money selling fixes that way though.

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to feed the tank. Add fish, feed the fish heavily. Skim heavily.

The dry rock is a hindrance to this method, as you are finding out. Personally I would prioritize swapping out dry for some more live rock.

Disclaimer: I’m old school and nobody usually agrees with this anymore. ‍

OP
OP
Apollo7235

Apollo7235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well not necessarily burned but perhaps just showing an adverse reaction to exposure from a broader spectrum than the QT? Even under the overhangs they could be getting hit with some reflected light from the sand and glass. Did they come out at night with the lights off?

You could try some poly-filter in the DT if you haven't done that yet.
I always have a package around in case I need it.

No, unfortunately, they didn’t come out at all. They actually stayed so closed up o was pretty convinced they would never open again. Thankfully, they have all since recovered and are doing well again back in my QT.

I will certainly try something like this after I get my ICP results! I’m sincerely hoping that something definitive will come back so I can start taking the appropriate corrective measures!

OP
OP
Apollo7235

Apollo7235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, this dry rock start stuff is nothing but a headache. I'd much rather spend a few nights fishing for a crab than the list of horrors found in new tanks now. Liverock or mixed rock start is just so much more stable. Less money selling fixes that way though.
Lesson learned!! Never again!!

OP
OP
Apollo7235

Apollo7235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to feed the tank. Add fish, feed the fish heavily. Skim heavily.

The dry rock is a hindrance to this method, as you are finding out. Personally I would prioritize swapping out dry for some more live rock.

I plan to do this, but I would like to wait until I get my ICP results back before I do anything further. I’m sick of dumping money into this tank only for it to get no better. Once I know the problem, however, I will certainly get it corrected!

I do actually feed heavily and had to cut back on how much I feed because I have had issues with my nitrates and phosphates being pretty high. Even feeding lightly, my nutrient levels are above the recommended numbers, and that’s true for al three of my tanks. I feed rich foods:

Slurry of SBB Mysis, Baby Brine, Carnivore Cuisine, Coral Frenzy, NLS A Plus pellets, and PE Mysis Flakes, all soaked in Selcon.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of interesting information coming out on dry rock, live rock, cured rock etc and how long it takes to build a stable well balanced microorganism biome. Neat interview with Colby from AquaBiomics. Some glitches in the video feed here and there but interesting stuff.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live rock is for those who cannot wait, but wish to spend forever to remove pests, some which only come out at night and munch on expensive things.

We’ve been setting up systems for 30 years with both dry rock and marine pure, pre-seeded with bacteria, but with no chance of Aptasia, crabs, bobits and any other funky pests that come with LR.

Sure, it takes a good 6 months of keeping those parameters right on point, but afterwards, we have nothing in the system that we did not put there.

Ever try catching a gorilla crab in a full tank, good luck.

AC410881-F69E-45CD-A6E0-360BF3F89738.jpeg

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I remember correct . The only difference was tank age and lighting .
I just don’t get this case.
While the hobby can be demanding, in this case, so far impossible.
It will be interesting to see what the causes actually were.

I certainly would not be wasting anymore money and marine life on it, I would have cleaned throughly, and restarted the cycle with new rock and sand.

Even in poor light, with correct water chemistry, corals would not die quickly, it would take months.

Lost on this one, but interested in the outcome.

OP
OP
Apollo7235

Apollo7235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live rock is for those who cannot wait, but wish to spend forever to remove pests, some which only come out at night and munch on expensive things.

We’ve been setting up systems for 30 years with both dry rock and marine pure, pre-seeded with bacteria, but with no chance of Aptasia, crabs, bobits and any other funky pests that come with LR.

Sure, it takes a good 6 months of keeping those parameters right on point, but afterwards, we have nothing in the system that we did not put there.

Honestly, I think I would rather play hide and seek with a gorilla crab in a successful tank than deal with my situation.. but at least this is good experience right?......right?? o_O

OP
OP
Apollo7235

Apollo7235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just don’t get this case.
While the hobby can be demanding, in this case, so far impossible.
It will be interesting to see what the causes actually were.

I certainly would not be wasting anymore money and marine life on it, I would have cleaned throughly, and restarted the cycle with new rock and sand.

Even in poor light, with correct water chemistry, corals would not die quickly, it would take months.

Lost on this one, but interested in the outcome.
I’m afraid I’m going to end up having to do this anyway.. If some toxic pollutant ends up showing itself on this water analysis, I sure hope I can rod the system of it through carbon, poly filters, and water changes.... But my luck, I’ll have to tear the whole thing down and start over..... and possibly end up in a divorce, hahaha

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't quit.

Think of your child... and your children's children.

Do it for the children
Kids Lol GIF by NBC

Do you really want to end up as the MiniVan Soccer Mom peddling Girl Scout cookies at work?

Last edited:

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
quality (QUALITY!) liverock is the key to success..

… this is the way.

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

To each their own, but I'll deal with the crab 10 times out of 10. The immense diversity that comes with real live rock is worth it to me.

Beautiful tank though! You've clearly succeeded with dry rock.

Mark Bradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used ecoreef rock and spent 4 months maturing with fish and clean up crew before adding some ‘easy’ corals (GSP, Xenia, Toadstools). This was much easier, in my eyes, than a previous attempt where I used live rock (it had a predator worm in it that killed amongst other predators two Lionfish). I reverted back to Malawi’s but tried this time round buying a new tanks and all equipment- it’s not been without some issues but has been an enjoyable challenging 18 months.

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used ecoreef rock and spent 4 months maturing with fish and clean up crew before adding some ‘easy’ corals (GSP, Xenia, Toadstools). This was much easier, in my eyes, than a previous attempt where I used live rock (it had a predator worm in it that killed amongst other predators two Lionfish). I reverted back to Malawi’s but tried this time round buying a new tanks and all equipment- it’s not been without some issues but has been an enjoyable challenging 18 months.
I started with all dry rock and I only now, after two years, feel like it's actually " live rock. "

jandlms

Reef Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As with most things in life, there is no one right answer. First, I would invest in a comprehensive water test for both your makeup water and your mixed saltwater. This will eliminate it at least identify any problems there. Compare your testing numbers with the lab results. I think your pH is a bit low and if your Hanna meter is off then it could be worse. Get some more life besides corals in your tank and feed them. Be patient. I know it’s hard to wait to add corals but they can be the least adaptable life forms to an enclosed environment. Or not. I am currently setting up a system and it drives me crazy to see just that particular coral I want for the tank and I can’t have it. It’s usually even on sale!
Step back from your tank a bit. Play with your baby. Let the tank mature while checking the water chemistry results. And relax. Nature takes a long time to build a reef. We rarely can do better.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back