Absolute cleanest salt???

cmor1701d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't store your SW unless you are NOT heating it and circulating it with O2 ... Are you using Store Bought RO Water ? If you leave DI'd water SIT it will collect air born elements. remember RO DI Water is a SPONGE to absorb anything..

Still using HW Marine \ reef here .. never issue ..
I second this. I mix hw reefer at room temperature. I have 1 pump at the bottom of my 55 gallon mixing barrel and a small Powerade near the top. I heat it the day I'm going to use it and never have a problem with it.

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NYOS..the cleanest I've seen ..but Fauna Marin is my favorite based on health of the specimens I'm keeping ..but it is NOT clean by any means..leaves alot of crud in my mixing container...fwiw

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the OP pay extra for a White Brute Container? They let light through the sides, and stuff can grow in the Container. I use Reef Crystals, long term storage of mixed salt. When I mix initially I only put half the salt in, let it be absorbed then a 1/4 , then add salt till I’m at the desired concentration. Also I don’t heat the solution any more, it doesn’t change the tanks temperature that much, even up to a 25% change. My Saltwater is in the basement with the Aquariums.

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Avoid any high alkalinity salts like Red Sea Coral Pro, AquaForest Reef Salt Plus, Reef Crystals, etc. I would also avoid Red Sea Blue Bucket, Instant Ocean Purple, Brightwell, Fritz, and any salt with pre/probiotics.
You're saying Brightwell salt has probiotics in it? I can't find any reference to that.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tropic Marin. I just opened a partial pail that I'd previously mixed for top-ups and when I opened it the other day it was still crystal clear (not recommending this, just saying that it's very clean salt).

Philip Chin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recall an article years ago by @Randy Holmes-Farley in which he found Tropic Marin Pro & Instant Ocean purple to have the least additives. I read that as they being the “cleanest”.

I’ve been using Instant Ocean purple for decades and never experienced any sort of “crud” or discoloration. I heat it when mixing and just before water changes. I store it in a brute with a powerhead for as long as 2 months at a time.
With heat or no heat when in storage?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am somewhat new to saltwater and my question is, other than due to cost, is there any reason not to use the Petco Imagitarium Pacific Oceanwater or their Natures Ocean Nutri-Seawater Natural Live Ocean Seawater? I have been using it for several years and have had no problem with it. My salt water tanks are small which is why I can do it this way. When trying to mix salt mixtures myself I always had problems with it being to salty or not salty enough or it looked cloudy. This comes in a box and is always clear and always seems to be perfect readings. I could not do this with a large tank due to cost but just wondering if there are any reasons not to use it?

If the Nutri seawater description was accurate, it would kill everything in the tank. Hopefully it is far more like actual seawater than they claim.

Belgian Anthias

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run the HW salt and it mixes so dirty and ends up leaving my brute can brown within a months time. I actually purchased some nice clear water holding tanks and want to change up my salt before they come in. Just don’t want to have to clean the salt tank monthly so figured I’d see what everyone believes is the cleanest mixed salt out there
Thanks
Perhaps the residue is from the reaction with the mixing water and it is not a specific problem tied to a particular salt mixture, but about a suitable salt mixture for your mixing water or about the conditions it is stored? This is a test of salt mixtures in which solubility and clarity are discussed in detail.

nursingcoral

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heat it when you need it. Don't store it heated.
I premix saltwater in the Rubbermaid brutes, but don’t use the heaters in it anymore. One less energy drain/use/cost I have to worry about. But my brutes are able to be situated near the house heating system/water heater.

Debramb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use heat to help the salt dissolve better. Not sure it makes a difference but I feel it couldn’t hurt
It might hurt in the sense that calcium carbonate is more soluble in colder water, so may be more likely to precipitate during the initial dissolution stages if the water is warmed already.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back