Acan falling out of skeleton!

Reefready1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I suddenly have the heads of my acan falling out of the skeleton. All parameters are normal for a frag tank. They are in a 30 gal "frag tank". Lighting is 4 bulb t5 and a reef bright blue strip. Temp is stable and auto top off installed. 10 gal water change every 2 or 3 weeks. I use red Sea products and feed reef roids and pemysis. Only a purple tank and 6 line wrasse in the tank for fish. They just ate 2 nights ago (Pemysis), there are blastos and torches in the tank also which look good as normal. The heads almost look over inflated. I am able to catch them floating around in the tank and put them in the mushroom basket in a different tank just because. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

Reefapprentice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures? Sounds like the flesh is floating off, which sounds like a goner, but hard to tell without pictures.

OP
OP
Reefready1

Reefready1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20161014_162337.jpg
20161014_161906.jpg

Reefapprentice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. Looks like a extreme form of polyp bailout. Not sure what might be the cause, never seen this before. Does the entire polyp leave and a clean skeleton is left, or is there sill some flesh left when they pop off?

OP
OP
Reefready1

Reefready1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally clean, polyp would almost look like a mushroom that dropped off a baby. It's 2 days and the polyp in the picture is still alive. There are 3 polyps left in the skeleton and they look intact. I have a rainbow acan that lost 1 polyp also but the others look good. SO FAR!!!! I did dip them in poylp lab primer before moving them to another tank. No pest other than a couple small bristle worms.

djd3mon

Reefing since 2016!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmmm. that is interesting. Ive never seen that before. Ive had a frogspawn melt on me exposing the skeleton but nothing like this. Hopefully someone can answer!

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That's definitely bailout...
How long have you had the acans?
What's ph and alk?
Did you change around powerheads to where there's now more flow in the acans direction?

RobBaglieri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had that happen to my acans, torch and hammers all at the same time. Once they float off, they slowly wasted away. My issue was ultra high salinity. very sad.

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Also, another thing you can do (also for fresh cut new arrivals) is cut a tube or cup, basically something that will sit around the frag to protect it for a week or so...
Sometimes, when the flesh starts coming apart from the skeleton this method will help if caught early and parameters, lighting and or flow ar brought back into order

Ben007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do u have any peppermint shrimp? They'll eat any meaty coral

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
Reefready1

Reefready1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update.
The polyps that are left seem in good health. they ate some pe mysis the other night like normal. The heads that fell off are still alive and have feelers out as if it would be feeding. They are in the mushroom basket.

20161027_203958.jpg

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going through this now, were you able to resolve this issue?
I am as well currently. with the best looking rainbow acan ive ever seen. It's so sad that this absolutely incredible acan is bailing out. I've taken some unorthodox steps to try and save it, Or rather parts of it. Basically I put a little glue on one of the places that was bailing. I assumed that half was a goner anyway but I figured id try some extreme measures. That was earlier today. I much try and cut back the extremely jagged parts to see if that helps at all. I assume the worst. I have a thread where I have some pictures. I'd like to hear about your experience and thoughts and advice.

cjpitt80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am as well currently. with the best looking rainbow acan ive ever seen. It's so sad that this absolutely incredible acan is bailing out. I've taken some unorthodox steps to try and save it, Or rather parts of it. Basically I put a little glue on one of the places that was bailing. I assumed that half was a goner anyway but I figured id try some extreme measures. That was earlier today. I much try and cut back the extremely jagged parts to see if that helps at all. I assume the worst. I have a thread where I have some pictures. I'd like to hear about your experience and thoughts and advice.
Were you able to save it?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 25.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 9.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back