Acan Going Down...

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got this Acan at a coral show about a month ago and opened on day one, yesterday noticed it didn't open and I tested my waters and everything was normal, slight drop in Mag and a slight rise in Alk but other than that fine. have other acans right next to it and they are doing good and open, feeders still come out during the day and at night just not opening up. Should I be worried or just give it some time?
Parameters:
Salinty: 1.026
Temp: 77
pH: 8.1
Calcium: 465
Alk: 8.7
Mag: 1275
Nitrate: 0
Nitrite: 0
Amon: 0
Phosphate: 0.25

Some changes I have had are alk was 7.5, Mag was 1390, on 11-16-23 which is a big swing on Alk, and I'm not sure why because I have not dosed, and only did a 5-gallon water change on my 65-gallon setup. Also just dosed the Mag so I don't know if it precipitated off or if I have a testing error, seems odd.

Any ideas or thoughts throw them my way. Also, any ideas on raising nutrients, let me know currently dosing phosphate-E to keep that down, and I have pulled the skimmer cup off and feeding more to raise nitrates.

Tank is 4 months old.

IMG_2805.jpg

cdemoss01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got this Acan at a coral show about a month ago and opened on day one, yesterday noticed it didn't open and I tested my waters and everything was normal, slight drop in Mag and a slight rise in Alk but other than that fine. have other acans right next to it and they are doing good and open, feeders still come out during the day and at night just not opening up. Should I be worried or just give it some time?
Parameters:
Salinty: 1.026
Temp: 77
pH: 8.1
Calcium: 465
Alk: 8.7
Mag: 1275
Nitrate: 0
Nitrite: 0
Amon: 0
Phosphate: 0.25

Some changes I have had are alk was 7.5, Mag was 1390, on 11-16-23 which is a big swing on Alk, and I'm not sure why because I have not dosed, and only did a 5-gallon water change on my 65-gallon setup. Also just dosed the Mag so I don't know if it precipitated off or if I have a testing error, seems odd.

Any ideas or thoughts throw them my way. Also, any ideas on raising nutrients, let me know currently dosing phosphate-E to keep that down, and I have pulled the skimmer cup off and feeding more to raise nitrates.

Tank is 4 months old.

IMG_2805.jpg
#reefsquad

lil sumpin

Digital Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had consistently low alk and mag for a few weeks and saw some LPS frags die off. I had never tested for mag and when I finally did, it was 1100. Alk was consistently 7-7.5 for weeks.

currently have around 1400 mag and 9 dkh and the remaining LPS are looking good

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had consistently low alk and mag for a few weeks and saw some LPS frags die off. I had never tested for mag and when I finally did, it was 1100. Alk was consistently 7-7.5 for weeks.

currently have around 1400 mag and 9 dkh and the remaining LPS are looking good
Do you think bump my Mag back up? Is that strange for it to drop 100 ppm in less than a week?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mag can not drop 100 ppm in a week, unless there is a salinity drop due to ATO of something. Mg drops about 1/10x compared to Ca, so Ca would have had to drop 1000 ppm.

As for why it's closed, I'm not sure. I would give it some time. Any chance that something is picking on it?

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mag can not drop 100 ppm in a week, unless there is a salinity drop due to ATO of something. Mg drops about 1/10x compared to Ca, so Ca would have had to drop 1000 ppm.

As for why it's closed, I'm not sure. I would give it some time. Any chance that something is picking on it?
Re tested and got mag of 1320, and that was from 1380 so more reasonable but kinda strange, going to start manually dosing mag with the calcium that I am already doing until my new Kamoer doser and all for reef comes in. As for my acan I did just buy a 3in melanarus wrasse, and I have noticed some zoas close up, and my acan. But once I watch the tank I don't see him touch anything. I also have a very big emerald crab and not to much algae on my rocks or anything, and I have watched him pick at a pocilapora I bought, so I thought maybe could be because of him. Are melanarus wrasse known for coral picking?

MarsReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd give it some time. I have one Acan that does that for days at a time then goes back to normal. It keeps adding more heads (started at 1, up to 8) and goes back to normal after a few days. Rinse and repeat like once a month. All my others ones don't do it, no idea why the ones does.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wrasse is more likely doing you a favor, by picking at pests. But that could momentarily irritate the Acan.

The Mg variation is just standard error in the test. A home Mg test is likely somewhere in the range of +/- 50 ppm.

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd give it some time. I have one Acan that does that for days at a time then goes back to normal. It keeps adding more heads (started at 1, up to 8) and goes back to normal after a few days. Rinse and repeat like once a month. All my others ones don't do it, no idea why the ones does.
Gotcha, will do! hopefully mine does the same love the deep red with the oranges in it need more heads hehe!!!!

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wrasse is more likely doing you a favor, by picking at pests. But that could momentarily irritate the Acan.

The Mg variation is just standard error in the test. A home Mg test is likely somewhere in the range of +/- 50 ppm.
Gotcha, thanks, and as it stands as someone else said calcium would have to move a lot. My calcium has been steady at 450-465 with manual dosing so unsure of why my test is so inconsistent. Need to invest in some hanna checkers.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back